Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

This is something I have had in mind for awhile but took time to think about how I wanted to do it right and not look hacked (and cool too).

This fixture is a basic SS "Scare Light" that most of the TH's have mounted around them these days. I thought about replacing the standard patio light with it, but still, all the light is forward. The other thing that bugged me is there is nothing shiny or chromed on the coach, and this thing stuck out like a sore thumb. I had a can of "hammertone" paint I found at Home Depot for my security light project on the street side of the coach that is almost an exact match to the Meridian color scheme. Once the frame was painted things got a lot clearer! I realized that the front patio light is 50" off the front awning support, so I went back and measured the same off the rear awning and found it's in the area that matches the newly painted light, and really important, is still in the fridge compartment, making wiring way easier. Out came the hole saw.

Down in the external entertainment compartment I mounted a DC dimmer I bought off the web, and cut the plate down to fit where shown. The little "Panel Power" switch was put there to kill power to the radio (and that ridiculously bright display) when dry-camping to help drop the house DC phantom loads (yeah, I know.. The label is crooked, and the No Smoking cap is upside down.

Finished up at 2AM last night so got to see the results immediately. With the awning out, there is almost flat light across the patio area as opposed to before where I needed a flashlight just to see the BBQ. Also because of the way this thing is lensed, once you pull the awning back makes a great area light. I changed both this and the OEM light fixtures to amber lamps to help ward off the bugs.

If only I could remember how to post clickable thumbnails now....

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

This is something I have had in mind for awhile but took time to think about how I wanted to do it right and not look hacked (and cool too).

This fixture is a basic SS "Scare Light" that most of the TH's have mounted around them these days. I thought about replacing the standard patio light with it, but still, all the light is forward. The other thing that bugged me is there is nothing shiny or chromed on the coach, and this thing stuck out like a sore thumb. I had a can of "hammertone" paint I found at Home Depot for my security light project on the street side of the coach that is almost an exact match to the Meridian color scheme. Once the frame was painted things got a lot clearer! I realized that the front patio light is 50" off the front awning support, so I went back and measured the same off the rear awning and found it's in the area that matches the newly painted light, and really important, is still in the fridge compartment, making wiring way easier. Out came the hole saw.

Down in the external entertainment compartment I mounted a DC dimmer I bought off the web, and cut the plate down to fit where shown. The little "Panel Power" switch was put there to kill power to the radio (and that ridiculously bright display) when dry-camping to help drop the house DC phantom loads (yeah, I know.. The label is crooked, and the No Smoking cap is upside down.

Finished up at 2AM last night so got to see the results immediately. With the awning out, there is almost flat light across the patio area as opposed to before where I needed a flashlight just to see the BBQ. Also because of the way this thing is lensed, once you pull the awning back makes a great area light. I changed both this and the OEM light fixtures to amber lamps to help ward off the bugs.

If only I could remember how to post clickable thumbnails now....

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 07-05-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Nice job Jeff.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Looks like part origal part of the coach.

Where did you get a nice recessed light like this?
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Harry B:
Looks like part origal part of the coach.

Where did you get a nice recessed light like this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I got it at my local RV guy store, but THIS and THIS look like the correct one, even at $9 between the two.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 07-05-2008, 07:14 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SCVJeff:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Harry B:
Looks like origal part of the coach.

Where did you get a nice recessed light like this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I got it at my local RV guy store, but THIS and THIS look like the correct one, even at $9 between the two. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:28 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Hi Jeff~ Another good lighting project. I would have liked to been there to steady the ladder and hand you the HOLE SAW.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote