Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

LED's Wired Wrong

After installing and wiring LED turn lights on the side of our rig I found the lights not only come on with the turn signal, but it also comes on with the brake lights. I found the flashing circuit (white wire going to the bulb) at the rear tail/stop pod. I don't want the brake lights coming on. Any ideas??
Thank you!
Mothership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
TEO
Winnebago Camper

I'm not familiar with the led tail lights, but I have a center light that is a brake light and is LED. After having the motorhome painted and all the hardware replaced, the center light did not work. It came out in a pigtail with two black wires. I took it out and placed the leads across a battery. One way it would work and the other way it wouldn't. It is polarity sensitive and had to be wired appropriately. Perhaps you have a similar problem.

This isn't my two cents worth, probably worth three cents less than that.

Paul

FMCA F98905
TEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Hi Paul:
I don't think I was very clear, sorry about that. The new LED turn signal lights I installed are on the side of our rig just in back of the rear duals. Ours is a older model MH that has just one amber turn signal light on the side of the rig at the front. I wanted to add the additional new lights to the side toward the rear just for a bit more visibility and safety. I made the connections at the rear tail light pods, left rear for left side new light and right rear for right side. I hope this is a bit clearer...or clear as mud? Thanks for the response!
Old 05-17-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho Mothership: I assume you have the Ford F53 chassis as we do. This (and most American vehicles) have only two functions associated with the taillights--driving light and combination turn/brake lights. Actually if you look at the lights there are only two filaments--one for driving and one for turn/brake. Now having said that there is obviously a signal which originates at the flasher that is routed to the proper side. If you were to isolate this signal with a diode (so that the brake light signal doesn't get added) you could use it for the turn signal you have added.

This will probabliy require a separate wire (as turn and brake are now combined). Anyway, the trick is a series diode so that the brake signal gets blocked.

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Let me see if I have this straight: You installed lights on the SIDE of the rig, which you wish to flash to indicate that you are considering a turn or lane change?

Is this right (Yes Read on, No, skip to next reply)

The REAR turn signals, on most vehicles made in the USA (Euro imports are different) are also the brake lights, so they will come on with the brakes, 100% of the time so long as everything is working.. EURO style has 3 lights on each side on the rear, Tail light (red) Stop (Bright red) and turn (usually amber) but US uses just the two, brake/turn are the same bulb

Solution.. if that is your problem... Is to power the side turn signals off the FRONT turn signals. These normally ONLY flash when the vehicle is signaling a turn.

NOTE: on many vehicles (I think my Damon is one of 'em but I"m not sure) there are marker/turn signals on the front.. These are neat, and you may find LED's won't replace them. Here is why

LED's (Depending on how they are built) are polarity sensitive, that is if you take the standard bayonet type base, like a 1156, the TIP must be POSITIVE or no light (You could for a few cents, add a full wave bridge to the assembly and fix that) (You can do it outboard too, if you need part numbers and diagrams ask)

But the marker/turn lamps hook between the PARKING LIGHT hot and the TURN SIGNAL hot on the front bulbs

IF you have the parking lights on, they "Ground" via the turn signals and glow
If you then signal a turn, when the flasher sends power to the lamps, the side light shuts off (since both leads are now hot)

IF you have the parking lights OFF, then they ground the other way, through the parking light elements, and when you send power to the turn signal they glow.

Real neat, and easy to hook up too, but LED's may not work without help there.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Dirk and wa8yxm for the reply. Yes, our rig is a Ford F-53 with the stop/turn bulb being a double filament. I like the idea of the diode since the wire is loomed in and ran to the back. I did think of running the wires to the front (less trouble), but going to the rear was a shorter run. I know of a auto electric shop I can get the diodes and instillation hints from. Thanks again.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Hi Mothership! Interesting discussion to your question -- I learned some things about LED's I did not know. However -- My big question is about your dog. A Doxie/Lab mix?? Which one was the male? As you can see, we have a couples of Doxies. The kennel where we got them from was trying to create a new breed -- Doxie/Lab mix. I think she was going to call them Doxiedors. Anyway -- good luck with the wiring project.
Ustamiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We got him as a rescue. You can really see the lab in his face, tail and chest but the short legs and long body is all doxie! He's a great little dog...loves his people!