Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question LED Lights

I'm looking for any info on changing the red and amber marker lights on the top, front and back of our MH to LED's. I've converted the side marker lights but the top lights are recessed in the fiberglass caps and the LED's I bought will not work.

Thanks!!
Mothership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Take the bulb out of one,go to Auto Zone and buy bulb replacement with a LED.I just replaced all the ones on my 5er plus tail and trun bulbs with LED got them at above place. I'm sure there are other part stores that sell the replacement bulbs in LED.You shouldn't have to change the whole light just the bulb. The LED sure are brighter.
Ti5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti3439 View Post
Take the bulb out of one,go to Auto Zone and buy bulb replacement with a LED.I just replaced all the ones on my 5er plus tail and trun bulbs with LED got them at above place. I'm sure there are other part stores that sell the replacement bulbs in LED.You shouldn't have to change the whole light just the bulb. The LED sure are brighter.
Ti3439: Question--- are the original bulbs in your marker lights mounted horizontal to the ground or are they pointing straight out. Most LED bulbs do not have a very wide spectrum of lighting. Have you tried replacing your brake, turn light bulbs with LED's?
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer View Post
Ti3439: Question--- are the original bulbs in your marker lights mounted horizontal to the ground or are they pointing straight out. Most LED bulbs do not have a very wide spectrum of lighting. Have you tried replacing your brake, turn light bulbs with LED's?
Homer, The front top LED lights are the side ways or flat plug in LED bulbs. the bottom marker lights are the round put in socket and twist type.I found Auto Zone to have a wide selection of LED bulbs.
Yes I replaced both my turn signal bulbs to LED and also the tail light bulbs to LED.They both use the round put in socket and twist type.
Auto Zone had the sideways flat replacement LED bulbs for turn and tail light also.I think most all auto parts stores carry LED bulbs now.
If you need I can go to Auto Zone and get part numbers for each type of bulb and cost if it would help you.
If you were wondering It was around $75.00 cost for all my bulbs and that included a spare of each diff.type.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I have been looking for the 1383 bulb for the reading lights in LED's.
Priced on line from $12.95 to $29.95 each.
NAPA said they do not carry LEDS.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Check out these websites - Super Bright LEDs – Clearance, Marker and Tail Lights for Trucks
& LED Lights of all types manufactured by Command Electronics

Enjoy,
Gary
ULTFREQCCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti3439 View Post
Homer, The front top LED lights are the side ways or flat plug in LED bulbs. the bottom marker lights are the round put in socket and twist type.I found Auto Zone to have a wide selection of LED bulbs.
Yes I replaced both my turn signal bulbs to LED and also the tail light bulbs to LED.They both use the round put in socket and twist type.
Auto Zone had the sideways flat replacement LED bulbs for turn and tail light also.I think most all auto parts stores carry LED bulbs now.
If you need I can go to Auto Zone and get part numbers for each type of bulb and cost if it would help you.
If you were wondering It was around $75.00 cost for all my bulbs and that included a spare of each diff.type.
Ti3439: Thanks a bunch for all the information. Thanks also for the offer to check, but I have an Auto Zone about a mile from the house and I will just amble on down there and see what they have.
Are you happy with the brake and turn signal LED's. Was it necessary to change the flasher can?
Old 08-25-2009, 05:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvten View Post
I have been looking for the 1383 bulb for the reading lights in LED's.
Priced on line from $12.95 to $29.95 each.
NAPA said they do not carry LEDS.
Hi Tom, have you looked at JC Whitney yet. I just checked the other day and they had a pretty good selection but don't recall bayonet based reading lights.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everybody for the reply's. Here in California Auto Zone doesn't have a great selection of LED's especially in the white color. Also tried Pep Boys, Kragen and Napa. I will try some of the web sites suggested.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:18 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Holmer,I'm happy with all the LED lights I installed.I have had coments that they are bright and draw attention.Guess that's a good thing.
The tail and brake lights look to me to stand out much more than the regular 12 volt bulbs.The 2010 34E34RE Titanium has LED lights from the factory.I already had a heavy duty flasher in my tow truck so I didn't change the flasker. The LED are suppose to draw less amps but I don't notice the turn signal flashing any slower than it did before. Oh I am almost sure the brand name on the LED's was Jam Strait Any way it was Auto Zone where I got all of them.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:21 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Tried JCW. No 1383 or a LED to match it.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:32 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothership View Post
Thanks everybody for the reply's. Here in California Auto Zone doesn't have a great selection of LED's especially in the white color. Also tried Pep Boys, Kragen and Napa. I will try some of the web sites suggested.
Mothership: On doing some research the other day on LED's it was emphasized that LED's should always be the same color of the lens cover, in other words, red requires red LED's or they will be filtered out. Now maybe you are using a clear lens, in that case clear would be the color. I thought clear would be the right thing for tail lights, but not if you have a red lens.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:15 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

This outfit seems to have some pretty good product but they are also kind of expensive. I like the lower cost of Super Bright LEDs and the products are quite acceptable. The only thing I have from LEDTronics is the AUT1157M-ORW-14V as taillights on two of the three motorcycles. I swap the LED between the wife’s two bikes depending on which one we take with us.

http://www.ledtronics.com/Products/Default.aspx

Tom,

Super Bright has a bright white replacement bulb that has their part number ‘1156-WLX5’ for $29.95 that works very well as a replacement for the 1383. I have four installed and usually leave one on in the living room at night and it uses so little current that it is barely warm to the touch. Of the 13 or 14 different types of LED replacements I have from Super Bright, I have been quite happy with all but one that seems to have opened up. It was a green WLED-G6 used in the Tachometer of my Bonneville.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:17 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Homer: Funny you mentioned that...I was doing the same research and read the same thing. The red/amber bulbs are much easier to find!
Old 08-26-2009, 06:18 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Like Homer says. I tried white led's in my Jeep Liberty for the add on tail lights. The lens is red and I was really disappointed. Tried red led's from Autozone and they are much easier to see. Don't know what I'll do with the white ones now.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote