Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2005, 05:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

I just replaced the OEM stop/tail and turn lights with some really great 7" round LED lights recommended by Joe-K. These are really great lights and look sharp on the rig.

Everything works fine until I plug in my Hoppy 6 to 4 wire converter for the toad lights. When I do, the red tail lights flash with either turn signal. Unhook the Hoppy, all is OK.

Any of you tech experts got any ideas? Is there a better 6 to 4 wire converter that I can get that might not cause this? Aren't there units that use their own power supply...seems like I need to somehow isolate the converter from the main lighting circuit.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 05:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I just replaced the OEM stop/tail and turn lights with some really great 7" round LED lights recommended by Joe-K. These are really great lights and look sharp on the rig.

Everything works fine until I plug in my Hoppy 6 to 4 wire converter for the toad lights. When I do, the red tail lights flash with either turn signal. Unhook the Hoppy, all is OK.

Any of you tech experts got any ideas? Is there a better 6 to 4 wire converter that I can get that might not cause this? Aren't there units that use their own power supply...seems like I need to somehow isolate the converter from the main lighting circuit.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:40 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Gary - this isn't a very elegant solution, but you possibly could install a diode in each of the six leads. This might prevent any backfeeding caused by the converter. Without having a schematic of the 6/4 device, I don't understand how it works and why you get two flashing tail lights.

Maybe the simplest thing to do is try another converter.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 09:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Hey Gary: How about posting some pictures of your LED rear light upgrade? Any modifications you needed to do to keep it looking shipshape? Thanks for the post.

& Raleigh the Cavalier Wonder Dog Navigator
JanBCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 11:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

John, I may try the diodes..I'm waiting to hear from Joe-K to see if he had same problem since he installed the same lights on same coach.

J.B., I'll put some pics in the photo section under modifications...I also painted my black mirrors to match the valence trim on the coach..they look pretty good. Now, if I just had a big barn, I'd give the rig a full body paint job.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:56 PM   #6
gMw
Winnebago Owner

I had a similar problem when I replace my tail lights with LEDs, turned out there was feedback thru the "running" light circuit, diodes solved the problem
gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 05:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

gmw:

Where did you install the diodes?
Old 12-14-2005, 03:03 PM   #8
gMw
Winnebago Owner

After I trouble shot the problem, I discovered the LED replacements I'd bought simply used resistors to regulate the voltage for the running and brake light "functions", with no with no isolation between functions.

So I installed two diodes per light, at the buld socket, one on running light side, other on brake light side. This way there was no possibility of feedback on either side.

I have a bunch of diodes kicking around the work bench, but if I didn't, I'd most likely go to Radio Shack.
gMw is offline   Reply With Quote