Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2015, 04:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Led bulbs

How do you tell if your coach came with LED's or not. When did they start installing them in the Itasca Meridian's - We have a 2014 34B and before I start pulling all of the covers off of the bulbs I want to have LED's on hand as a plug and play if that is even possible.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:44 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

You may want to hold off on that for awhile. There is another thread a few below this one Some people are having considerable trouble with LEDs.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
You may want to hold off on that for awhile. There is another thread a few below this one Some people are having considerable trouble with LEDs.
All LED assemblies are not created equally!

There are some really inexpensive, (read CHEAP), circuit board LED assemblies for sale on Amazon by the ten pack. The cheap resistors overheat, or they fall off of the solder paste. They can fail catastrophically, (read FIRE), if left on unattended.

Many, many vendors vastly overprice their LED assemblies. For example, one 921 LED assembly for over $30/each is way too much, (unless if it comes with a lifetime replacement warranty and an insurance policy for potential damage). Realistically, $5.00/each is a good price.

And, while LEDs themselves have a fantastic MTBF, or lifespan, the other components used in the assemblies will fail far sooner, with even the best designed brands.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46490 View Post
How do you tell if your coach came with LED's or not. When did they start installing them in the Itasca Meridian's - We have a 2014 34B and before I start pulling all of the covers off of the bulbs I want to have LED's on hand as a plug and play if that is even possible.
I'm not sure what kind of trouble folks are having with change-over LED situations but, we've had ours now for, almost four years and have not had one issue. Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, came with a ton of high power use, Halogen bulbs in the ceiling and, a few in the bedroom. I changed not only all of those but, on all the wall sconces, front reading/spot lights over the driver and passenger, all the outside compartment lights, all porch lights (one over the front door and, one on the drivers side about 2/3 the way down the length of the coach).

I purchased all of ours from www.superbrightleds.com and, have not had ONE issue with any one of the bulbs, (and there's a whole bunch of different based/styles of bulbs in that coach).

If you're planning on a change out for all or, most of your interior lights, I'd get out a piece of paper and, remove all the bulbs you plan on changing, one by one and, note what type the base is and type of bulb. That way you'll have a record of not only what kind and how many bulbs you have but, also you'll know how many have the same type/style bases too.

I love all of the ones we've changed. I personally like the "cool whites" but, the DW prefers the "Warm white" style. We've compromised in different sections of the coach. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I ordered 40 of them from an eBay seller. They sent me the plastic base ones when I ordered the double pin ones. Now they have agreed to take them back but only if I pay shipping to return them. Why should I pay to ship them back due to their mistake? Asked them that question yesterday and haven't received an answer yet! Told them if I had to pay the shipping to return them it was going to be reflected in my feedback.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I mde the mistake of buying some cheap ones on ebay. They didn't have near the light output I expected, and they didn't last very long.

Next, I bought some from RVLEDBulbs.com - RV LED Bulbs, RV LED Lights and Light Accessories. They put out plenty of light, and I have had no failures in 18 weeks of use. If you order from them, enter coupon "FORUM" for 10% discount.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

M4.com seem to have the best led bulbs. They cost more but you don't need any resistor blocks. Their bulbs are made for over or under voltage conditions. I am thinking about ordering a few. Note- that is the information they state on their website. Hope this helps. RickeyD
RickeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

www.m4products.com Sorry about that.
RickeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I purchased LED's from Amazon. Gold Stars brand. My Winnebago TT uses 18 bulbs total, using the 912/921 bayonet base. Natural white color. 2.3 watts each. 60,000 hr rated life. 250 lumens. LOVE 'EM so far! Very reasonable price. Less than $6/pc. when you purchase them in 6 or 12 packs. Been using them for a month and no complaints so far!
ampmtnbkr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:57 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

46490, the answer to your question depends on if you have a early or late 2014 unit. The ceiling lights on the late model are LED's.
Go to the Winnebago service parts list for you coach and you can see what lights are used.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:59 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Not sure about checking for Halogens but our 2012 Vista looked like LED when you looked at the light but when putting your hand on the fixture they are hot-a sure sign of incandescent. Sure enough that is what they are. We dry camp a lot so will be changing out to LED
Old 07-22-2015, 11:05 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I ordered 40 of them from an eBay seller. They sent me the plastic base ones when I ordered the double pin ones. Now they have agreed to take them back but only if I pay shipping to return them. Why should I pay to ship them back due to their mistake? Asked them that question yesterday and haven't received an answer yet! Told them if I had to pay the shipping to return them it was going to be reflected in my feedback.
Well, they finally sent a prepaid shipping tag so I sent them all back for a refund. Now to order more from somewhere else. Reminds me of why I quit buying from eBay!.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:30 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I just changed all my bulbs to LEDs from Cabinbright.com. He had a good seminar at Grand National Rally and has a lifetime guaranty on them. We will se how they do.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:57 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Well, they finally sent a prepaid shipping tag so I sent them all back for a refund. Now to order more from somewhere else. Reminds me of why I quit buying from eBay!.
Mr_D,
Just for grins, if you haven't heard of them yet, take a quick look at:
www.superbrightleds.com and see what they have to offer. I've purchased all of mine there. They've been great for high quality LED bulbs and, they offer a no questions asked, money back return. You might think their prices are a tad high but, if you've looked at other sources, other than CHINA, you'll find superbright's prices are basically equal.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led