Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2020, 02:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

LED Awning Lights

LED awning lights not working.

Having done a search on the site for this topic I have a question that I could not find an answer for.

I know there is a breaker for the power roller and it is not tripped and the awning rolls in and out with no problem. Is there a fuse for the built in/factory installed LED awning lights?

The switch appears to be working as it lights up to let you know it is on. I don't have a tester or ladder with me, so I'm looking to explore other possibilities before going that route.

Thanks in advance,

Fred
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:04 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

On my coach there's a 5 amp fuse located in a bundle of wires just inside the entrance door. Certainly don't know if your rig is the same but look for the wire bundle that's close to the awning control (sometimes a module that has an imbedded fuse).

I've replaced the wiring on my lights - the connections were poorly done and the wiring is very fragile. If a fuse replacement doesn't work take a look at the wiring.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Much appreciated Steve, I think that would be behind the magazine rack on our coach; I'll check there.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I didn't find an inline fuse so I borrowed a ladder. What I found was the wire where it exits the awning was pinched between the canvas and the roller and had broken. For the time being I cut the wire and spliced it with connectors just to have the light working. Eventually I'll replace the entire length of wire.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the update. I've noticed the wires on mine look to be pretty frail, and also close to the roller. Could happen to anyone.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
We had the same problem and battled it till we gave up. Our problem was that no matter what we tried the wire that goes into the coach wall at the front edge of the awning kept breaking.
It had to do with the roller. We gave up and attached an LED strip the full length of the awning snugged up under the awning case. Works great! Uses the same connection the other one did. Saved our sanity!
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 07:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
On my coach there's a 5 amp fuse located in a bundle of wires just inside the entrance door. Certainly don't know if your rig is the same but look for the wire bundle that's close to the awning control (sometimes a module that has an imbedded fuse).

I've replaced the wiring on my lights - the connections were poorly done and the wiring is very fragile. If a fuse replacement doesn't work take a look at the wiring.
AN RV tech said my fuze was behind the awning light switch.

2019 Winn View
PJTroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoders2Go View Post
We had the same problem and battled it till we gave up. Our problem was that no matter what we tried the wire that goes into the coach wall at the front edge of the awning kept breaking.
It had to do with the roller. We gave up and attached an LED strip the full length of the awning snugged up under the awning case. Works great! Uses the same connection the other one did. Saved our sanity!
Thanks for the info. I've seen other coaches with the LED light on the wall; maybe for the same reason. I'm curios how you ran the power wire into the coach and if you were able to use the original switch?

Tags
awning, led, light, lights