Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2018, 08:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Kwikee steps ??

I have a 99 Minnie, with Kwikee one step. PO tried to work on it, wont go out or in. Every thing is there and when I hook up yellow and red wires I hear a motor running but nothing happens. this occurs with door open or closed and step switch on or off.
brcree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Probably stripped the gears. This happens when someone steps on it before it is properly deployed. Only thing to do is replace the gear box. Use the search feature of the forum and you can probably find someone who has done this.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:02 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like the gears might be stripped. Check under the step and you should see the gear box. Actuate the motor and see if you get any movement of the arm that attaches the gearbox to the step pivot point. If the swing-arm doesn't move, then the gearbox is stripped. Make sure when you repair or replace to lubricate every pivot point. most common cause of failure is lack of lubrications. Also don't step on the step when it is extending or retracting.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks guys for the info. I figured that the gears might be stripped. WMckinley, when I connect the yellow and red wires I can hear the motor running and, there is no movement of steps.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

You can find posts on the forum here where you can purchase a new step motor for around $80. RV Parts stores are over $200l Amazon for $70, just put in Kwikee Step Motor in their search bar.

Take a picture of your motor. The Mfg of the other than OEM make a right hand and a left hand motor.

If you do determine it is the motor make sure to order the connector/converter or carefully remove that little pig tail from you present wire hook up and use it on the new motor.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Well.....thanks everyone for your support. I found the problem. The small gear that is on the motor is to short to reach the large drive gear in the gear box. Motor is fine, steps are lubed, will have to find the correct motor I guess.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

This is the same motor used in Ford electric windows. I can't recall the year,model right now, but seems like it's about $35-$45 at auto parts stores.. You will find it by visiting irv2.com and using the search feature.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee, steps