Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-17-2018, 08:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Kwikee Step not closing - Fixed

The Kwikee Step on our 2007 Adventurer was not retracting when the engine was started. It failed intermittently at first, then completely. We could still retract it manually with the on/off switch. I had to bend the steps back, after a couple of times when it didn't retract and I they hit something.

I finally found the problem. The yellow step wire is the one that retracts the steps, when the ignition is on. Contrary to Kwikee instructions, Winnebago installed a "patch" connector in the wiring near the step. This patch connector has a small 1200 ohm resistor in series with the yellow wire. The wire from the resistor broke from fatigue and that disabled the yellow wire. Therefore, no step retraction with engine ignition.

The patch connector also had a small diode connected to ground. Since the positive side of the diode was connected to a green, ground wire, it made no sense to me and I removed it. The Kwikee instructions indicate no resistor or diode and when I asked their tech support about it, they referred me to Winnebago.

I installed a beefier 1200 ohm resistor, wrapped it all with electrical tape, and the step now works reliably.

The resistor and diode were on the 6" patch connector, in a small "Y" shaped shrink wrap, behind the steps and tie wrapped next to the RV frame.

Hope this helps others avoid frustration and damage.

Tags
kwikee