Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2015, 08:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Keeping Chassis Battery Charged

I was getting tired of my chassis battery discharging whenever the motor home sits. So today I decided to do something about it. When plugged in to shore power the coach batteries remain charged off the converter. So I installed a 30 amp toggle switch on the step riser in front of the battery bay. I connected the switch to the positive terminal of one of the coach batteries and to the positive terminal of the chassis battery. Now when plugged into shore power and the switch on all batteries remain fully charged by the converter. Now when I am going to dry camp I just turn the switch off so the power draw will just be from the coach batteries. I think some of the newer units will actually charge all batteries when on shore power. It anyone wants pictures of what I did just let me know.
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

corvettec3 should always turn off the switch before starting the chassis engine, there is the possibility of getting a large current draw through the 30 amp switch circuit. Did you put a fuse in the circuit?
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
corvettec3 should always turn off the switch before starting the chassis engine, there is the possibility of getting a large current draw through the 30 amp switch circuit. Did you put a fuse in the circuit?
Yes, I always fuse my circuits. I have a 30 amp fuse in this one as I knew what would happen if I tried to start the engine and the chassis battery was low.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

There is a automatic combiner that will do what you did.

Yandina and Cyrix sells them, for around 60 bucks. No need to remember a switch and will cut out before being overloaded.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvettec3 View Post
I was getting tired of my chassis battery discharging whenever the motor home sits. So today I decided to do something about it. When plugged in to shore power the coach batteries remain charged off the converter. So I installed a 30 amp toggle switch on the step riser in front of the battery bay. I connected the switch to the positive terminal of one of the coach batteries and to the positive terminal of the chassis battery. Now when plugged into shore power and the switch on all batteries remain fully charged by the converter. Now when I am going to dry camp I just turn the switch off so the power draw will just be from the coach batteries. I think some of the newer units will actually charge all batteries when on shore power. It anyone wants pictures of what I did just let me know.
corvettec3
That is not necessarily a bad idea..(but some of us are forgetful).
If I had a chassis battery discharge problem I would add a Trik-L Start: Ultra Trik-L-Start....OR an Echo Charger: Xantrex Echo-Charge Battery Charger...because they work automaticaly.
Mel
'96 Safari, 141k miles., (mine since '01)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
corvettec3
That is not necessarily a bad idea..(but some of us are forgetful).
If I had a chassis battery discharge problem I would add a Trik-L Start: Ultra Trik-L-Start....OR an Echo Charger: Xantrex Echo-Charge Battery Charger...because they work automaticaly.
Mel
'96 Safari, 141k miles., (mine since '01)
I hear you Mel. Because I am forgetful that is why I mounted the switch where I did. I have just told myself as soon as shore power gets disconnected and I go back into motor home switch goes off. And if I do forget, the worst scenario will be a 50 cent fuse. It is a $10 manual solution versus a $60 automated solution I guess
Old 06-14-2015, 09:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvettec3 View Post
I hear you Mel. Because I am forgetful that is why I mounted the switch where I did. I have just told myself as soon as shore power gets disconnected and I go back into motor home switch goes off. And if I do forget, the worst scenario will be a 50 cent fuse. It is a $10 manual solution versus a $60 automated solution I guess
corvettec3

BTW, have you tried to eliminate all unnecessary/phantom draws from your chassis battery?
Over 12 years ago I cured my "chassis battery discharging when in storage problem" by doing just that.....(and the fix was FREE).

Mel
'96 Safari, 141k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:45 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

[QUOTE=mel s;2602931]corvettec3

BTW, have you tried to eliminate all unnecessary/phantom draws from your chassis battery?
Over 12 years ago I cured my "chassis battery discharging when in storage problem" by doing just that.....(and the fix was FREE).

Mel, the main draw is from the inverter for the TV, amplified antenna and stereo system. I could turn those switches off. I also start the generator quite frequently. So it made sense to me to set it up the way I did.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:11 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Here are a couple of pics of what I did..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	June 14, 2015 (m) Battery ReCharge Plug & Fuse Installed By Binnie.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	97252   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7155.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	97253