Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Journey Battery Disconnect Relay

Does anyone know where the battery disconnect relay is actually located on a Journey? I know the switch is on the dash. Here's my problem: The house 12 volt system shuts down for a period of time then after five or 10 minutes comes back on. During this time the chassis side appears to fully function. This first occurred two days ago and then again today. We are heading out in a week and I need to get this resolved before we head out. I'll call Winnebago in the morning to see if they can help but thought I'd throw this out this evening to you for comments and suggestions. Oh, yes the batteries are up. The inverter does come on and provide 120 volt power, this is strictly a 12 volt issue.
Thanks
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Bob, Can you have someone trip the disconnect switch while you walk around the outside of your coach and listen for where the relay is?

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I believe that your coach is similar to mine. The disconnect relay is in the electrical compartment above the generator. The relay right next to it is the charge/aux start relay that ties the battery banks together when the ignition is on or the aux start switch is depressed. I can't remember which one is on which side.

If the disconnect relay is in fact bad, you can jumper it with a short cable or bypass it till you can get a new one.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Wiring Diagrams for your 2004 Journey P39K are located here: Table of Contents

The Battery Disconnect Relay is in the front electrical box as shown on pdf page 3 of the Front End Wiring Installation Diagram: http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_144979.pdf

Electrical wiring diagram for the relay is shown on pdf page 2 of the Body, 12 Volt Wiring Diagram: http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_147381.pdf

If you need the disconnect switch wiring info and you do not know how to get through need the wiring diagrams let me know and I will help you.

You should download either the complete book (huge file) and keep it for future reference. There is additional information in the complete books thta is not in the broken up listing.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
I believe that your coach is similar to mine. The disconnect relay is in the electrical compartment above the generator. The relay right next to it is the charge/aux start relay that ties the battery banks together when the ignition is on or the aux start switch is depressed. I can't remember which one is on which side.

If the disconnect relay is in fact bad, you can jumper it with a short cable or bypass it till you can get a new one.
What he said..

Jumping around it is not a big deal, just remember you have the potential to generate a LOT of smoke, so be careful!!

One thing to try and maybe rescue it for awhile, is to hit the momentary AUX switch slightly after starting to crank the engine, maybe pultz it a few times while turning the engine over. It won't pull the solenoid any harder, but sometimes the arc from the excessive current will burn off some of the crud on the washer bridging the terminals. We have done this on rare occasions with news trucks in the field that are having problems and can't leave. No harm.... It'll either work or it won't.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Thanks guys, I have found the relay so next time it fails I'll be able to tell if power actually gets to the relay and if so through it. I did have the 147381 diagram but did not have the 144979 and that one is also very helpful.
Again thanks
Bob
Old 12-16-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I take it you know the rest of the wiring diagrams are at Table of Contents.

The ones marked installation are the ones you use for finding electrical stuff. The wiring diagrams are how the stuff gets connected together. Winnebago has a standard way of doing their drawings some of which is described here
http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...20Part%201.pdf
and here:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...20Part%202.pdf

Even the circuit names ("LR", "KS", "MG", etc.) for a given function are common across years and rigs. Thats why I can typically identify how things are wired togther. Additionally, wire color/markings have meaning and the same type of data resides in common documents across years/configurations. There is a lot more repeatability in the Winnebago design approach than what may at first be apparent.

Wiring diagrams, plumbing diagrams, parts books, and operators manuals for free are benefits most other mfg's do not provide (for free at least). I feel it is one of the most benificial things Winebago provides for customer support and carries forward their original marketing appraoch of building their products for the common everyday user. Hopefully, they will never lose sight of that business model.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have downloaded as much info from Winnie and suppliers of installed parts as I can find on the net. Carry them on my laptop that's in the MH, so they will be available anywhere I am. It's the "Other Toolbox".
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:04 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Dave78Chief - Thanks again - there is a wealth of information available on this website. I'm still learning a lot of things about RV's even though I've RVing since the late 1960's. Unfortunately I'm at the age where I'm forgetting a lot of the things I've learned!
Safe travels
Bob
Old 12-17-2011, 12:36 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I have every drawing and every installation and operation manual of every piece of equipment in the coach. They're on the PC and a flash drive that lives on board. U never know.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, journey