Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-27-2022, 12:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Is the Solar ready port wired to controller on 2022 MM?

Hi all,

I have a 2022 2100BH MM that comes with a
(1) 190-watt solar panel w/ 30amp charge control monitor & side mount solar prep

I would like to add a 100W or 200W briefcase solar panel for when I am parked in the shade. Does anyone know if the side mounted solar port is wired to the battery or the 30A charge controller? In other words do I need a panel with its own controller or not?

When I was measuring voltage at the port itself during sun light it measured 20V, so I think it is linked to the roof solar and before the controller? Does that sound correct?

On a good day, my panel was able to push 40Ah into my two batteries and I would like to up that to 60AH, which pretty much would fully replenish my two wet batteries or help me keep a larger battery setup charged in the future.

thanks for your input
towlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 01:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by towlife View Post
When I was measuring voltage at the port itself during sun light it measured 20V, so I think it is linked to the roof solar and before the controller? Does that sound correct?
Yes, that just about guarantees that the solar port and the solar panel on the roof are both connected, presumably to the solar controller.

David
Old 02-27-2022, 01:17 PM   #3
Site Team

I know this is nothing definitive in relation to your TT... but on my motorhome the external solar port is wired directly to the solar charge controller. There are two sets of wires attached to the input on the controller - one set from the roof and another from the external port.

It's easy to take a look and see for your self, that is if it's easy for you to get to your solar charge controller. If the connections are visible that's all you need look for. If they are not externally visible you might be able to unscrew the controller from the wall were it's mounted to see if the input has two sets of wires... roof and external.

Adding 200 watts of external panels is fine, but at that point you are very near the 30 amp limit of your charge controller. So, don't start adding more than 200w without upgrading the charge controller.
Old 02-27-2022, 03:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

thanks for the quick response.

All cables are going in from behind the controller, but I will see if I can take it off and peek behind it to see how many are actually going in.

I think the charge controller is the next item that has to be updated anyways before going for larger or Li batteries to speed up the charging time , so I keep your advise in mind.
Old 02-27-2022, 03:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Creative, you are correct, there are two sets of cables going into the back of the controller input. So pretty sure those one of these are the side solar port.

Tags
solar