Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via MSN to Saber77
IR Repeater for DISH Receiver

We have a new 2014 Vista 30T. I just installed a Winegard Traveler satellite antenna for DISH, with boxes up front in the overhead compartment and in the bedroom. The problem is that the remote control has to point at the box to change channels, etc. I've noticed that Winnebago has installed an IR repeater with a small receiver just below the TV and the other end, which has 2 probes, in the overhead compartment. So, I connected the probes to the DISH receiver and tried to use the remote, but it doesn't work. The blue light on the small receiver flickers, but nothing happens at the DISH box. Winnebago did not supply any info on the IR repeater system and the tech at Camping World said it needed to be programmed, but he didn't know how. Has anybody got a fix for this issue? Right now, I have to hold the overhead compartment door open with one hand and operate the remote with the other -- not a good system.......!
Saber77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Can't help with the Winnebago IR Repeater but you might want to give their customer service line a call. They're great to work with.

I know that IR repeaters can be a pain to get to work properly. I tried an after market unit in my coach with limited success. We have DirecTv and I finally just wired the coach to run all three TVs from a single HD DVR and DirecTv has the ability to change the remotes from IR to RF so we have three remotes that will control the DVR from inside or outside the coach.

Before doing anything else, you might want to check to see if this option already exists with your Dish box.

Best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:36 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber77 View Post
We have a new 2014 Vista 30T. I just installed a Winegard Traveler satellite antenna for DISH, with boxes up front in the overhead compartment and in the bedroom. The problem is that the remote control has to point at the box to change channels, etc. I've noticed that Winnebago has installed an IR repeater with a small receiver just below the TV and the other end, which has 2 probes, in the overhead compartment. So, I connected the probes to the DISH receiver and tried to use the remote, but it doesn't work. The blue light on the small receiver flickers, but nothing happens at the DISH box. Winnebago did not supply any info on the IR repeater system and the tech at Camping World said it needed to be programmed, but he didn't know how. Has anybody got a fix for this issue? Right now, I have to hold the overhead compartment door open with one hand and operate the remote with the other -- not a good system.......!
Our 2010 Sunova is the same way. I have a small button like receiver above the TV but I find no probes or anything in the overhead compartments. We have to leave the compartment door open and point the remote control at the DISH receiver to change channels. Very awkward. I haven't ever gotten around to calling Winnebago about it and I was even at the plant last fall and forgot to say anything. Duh.

I have all of the wiring diagrams but they don't show any probe or anything in the front overhead compartments. I've even searched these forums and don't come up with any answers.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

From my very limited understanding of IR and Dish network, the remote unit must be IR configured. Dish used to send 2 remotes for a dual tuner receiver, only one was IR. You might call them and ask questions about your receiver and remotes.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

On ours, they will not work with the glass doors open.

Also, make sure the little repeater eye is over the IR eye on the sat rcvr. They had mine on the surround sound blu ray in the wrong place.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:48 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

IR repeaters are just that. They are not mirrors, but must receive the light signal, convert it to an electrical signal, and then convert it back to light.

Some repeaters can not convert some signals. Apparently, the signal that Dish remotes generate is not compatible with most if not all repeaters.

Your best solution is going to be RF if your Dish receiver offers that option.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Does your IR receiver near the tv flicker when your are not using the remote?

My 2 eyes in my left cabinet, which I installed my sat rcvr in, were down behind the cabinet. The factory had to find them.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I would take a good hard look at the RF add-on instead of fooling with IR. RF doesn't care where you point the remote and line of sight isn't a factor. If you're in range, it works. It's not expensive and setup is very easy.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via MSN to Saber77
Well, I finally heard back from Winnebago. They say the IR repeater is compatible with DISH receivers; however, there is no documentation and they offered no help regarding how to troubleshoot it. The only good news is that I discovered that I can leave the overhead compartment door ajar and point the DISH remote in that direction and the IR signal will bounce into the compartment and make it work........somehow!
Saber77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:51 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Unhappy Have the HDMI 4x4 Matrix

Our new Adventurer has almost the same TV setup as OP. Also have the HDMI 4x4. I installed the two Dish Receivers myself. The HDMI and IR repeater cables were there labeled and ready to connect to. I did that and everything worked great. I could watch any receiver, antenna and DVD signal from any TV. Remotes worked by pointing them at the repeater near the TV. After a 500 mile drive, the IR no longer worked. Worked around the problem 'til we left for home. Stopping for the night midway, everything worked well again. I explained this to the service center while having other warranty work done. Turned out the matrix switcher was/is bad. A new one is on order. Lots of bad press on those. They can be bought for 200 bucks on ebay but since we have a seven year extended warranty, I hope not to have to pay for a new one for a long time. Wouldn't be adverse to replacing it with something more reliable but wiring might be difficult. I doubt the existing IR wiring would work with other units.
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:40 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise1949 View Post
Our new Adventurer has almost the same TV setup as OP. Also have the HDMI 4x4. I installed the two Dish Receivers myself. The HDMI and IR repeater cables were there labeled and ready to connect to. I did that and everything worked great. I could watch any receiver, antenna and DVD signal from any TV. Remotes worked by pointing them at the repeater near the TV. After a 500 mile drive, the IR no longer worked. Worked around the problem 'til we left for home. Stopping for the night midway, everything worked well again. I explained this to the service center while having other warranty work done. Turned out the matrix switcher was/is bad. A new one is on order. Lots of bad press on those. They can be bought for 200 bucks on ebay but since we have a seven year extended warranty, I hope not to have to pay for a new one for a long time. Wouldn't be adverse to replacing it with something more reliable but wiring might be difficult. I doubt the existing IR wiring would work with other units.
We bought our Sunova new and there were no repeater cables in the compartment where all of the other cables were. I'm wondering if the repeater cables aren't tucked in behind the panels that line the overhead compartment. In the meantime we have been leaving the compartment door open and point the Dish remote control at the Dish receiver (major pain). I'm using the Winegard Carryout portable satellite antenna.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:41 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Sewell sells IR extenders, which work well for many types of setups. I have used the one which extends through the HDMI cable. Works just fine.

IR Extender Central
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:50 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

If you have the Dos VIP series (211Z or 211K) dish sells an RF to IR remote system. They look identical to the original IR and use RF to to control the receivers. Works through walls and even from outside.
Both our 211Z receivers sit in a closed cabinet in the bedroom. I use it to change channels for the LR TV. Works great.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:04 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
If you have the Dos VIP series (211Z or 211K) dish sells an RF to IR remote system. They look identical to the original IR and use RF to to control the receivers. Works through walls and even from outside.
Both our 211Z receivers sit in a closed cabinet in the bedroom. I use it to change channels for the LR TV. Works great.
Can you please give me a product number or some other reference to this? I just got off the phone with DISH and they claim complete ignorance of these products and say that the VIP 211Z is not compatible.

Thanks for your help.
alandsusy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:24 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by alandsusy View Post
Can you please give me a product number or some other reference to this? I just got off the phone with DISH and they claim complete ignorance of these products and say that the VIP 211Z is not compatible.

Thanks for your help.
How can they claim complete ignorance of the product and then say they are incompatible?
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:07 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Roger and Fran,
My experience with Dish is zero. Been a DirecTV sub for 19 years, but I do know this...... your dish works with several Dish receivers that have RF remote compatibility. I think you should contact Dish, ask to upgrade to receivers that come with RF remotes. The original RF remotes work the best with the receivers they are designed for. An upgraded receiver will provide you the most out of that nice Traveler dish. Also, higher grade receivers have more audio and video output like HDMI, dig optical and component which come in handy for adding other AV boxes.
Good luck.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:36 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

I do not now what they have on the shelf today but for many years (At home) I used an I/R repeater from Radio-shack, this one consisted of a I/R receiver/power supply, power "inserter" (Bias T we call 'em) at the "Remote" (From the controlled device's point of view) monitor and a 2nd Bias-T at the controlled device,

Device---Coax--T------Long coax----Receiver---Monitor.

Worked just fine, never had any problme with it, Still have it (But not in use),, Use the I/R senders for other things here in teh MH and only the home made one ever has issues (i will fix it some day I know what they are).

Warning on Radio Shack.. If you wish to shop there.. HURRY, they are in "Fire Sale" mode (Closing) it seem.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:18 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Saber77, what is the model number of your receivers?
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 03:09 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

My Dish Network Hopper/Joey are RF remotes. No issue with those at all in the motor home. I would recommend going for the RF option if you can. It is much less hassle.

Scott
Old 02-22-2016, 11:42 AM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

Hello, I was wondering if you finally got a resolution to this problem. I'm in the same boat now trying to diagnose this very problem.

Thanks
stony30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish