Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Inverter use

I have installed a small 110V freezer, pulls 3 amps, in a compartment for our vacation this month. The question is......

Plug freezer into the coachs 110v circuit using the in-coach 2000w inverter while traveling, turn off in RV parks with power, OR,

buy a small inexpensive 250w or 500w invertor, hook up to the batteries, and plug freezer into this invertor?

Comments........

David
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
I helped | retired moderator

I would use the existing inverter as everything is already in place and if the small freezer has a compressor, I would expect the compressor start current draw would be more than 3 amps.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
KIX
Winnebago Master

I've thought about doing the exact same thing but using the existing inverter as Dirk said. I do have a question though.....did you vent the heat created by the compressor out of the compartment and if so, how?

What is that brand and model of the freezer? Thanks KIX
Old 07-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I too would recommend the existing converter. though it pulls 3 amps RUNNING it may well pull 15 or more starting, and thus the smaller inverter won't kick start it

I'd also look at ENGLE chest freezers.. They don't pull 3 amps. they pull closer to 0.3 amps at 120 volt (or 3 at 12 volt) Just so you know.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have a Haier, 1.3 cubic foot freezer in the basement. I've been running it for 3 years on my 2000 watt inverter with no problems. When dry camping I'll run it when the batteries are in a full to 1/2 charge and when turned off it will hold temperature for several days. I leave my inverter on and it goes to stand-by when plugged into campground power.

Charlie Tuit
2002 Journey 116,000 miles
XL-7 toad
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the responses.

I also bought a 1.3 Haier freezer, Craig's List, $50.00. Put in drivers side slide rear bay, to vent the freezer, cut a 12" x 12" hole in back of bay, pop riveted in a 14" x 14" standard metal mesh vent screen with added door screen to keep out big stuff.
Power, 110v, comes from entertainment bay on passenger side, ran 20 amp flexable cord up and over exhaust shield. Cord is spring loaded between bay and frame wire loom so it stays up when slide is put in. Also, in bay next to freezer, installed a outlet/switchbox. Outlet is GFI protected. Freezer plugs into outlet. Switch is the On and Off.
Freezer fits perfect in the bay, also is on a slider drawer for convienance if necessary.

Leaving for the GNR on Saturday, 7/11/09, will get there the 18th. Maybe will see ya all there.

Again thanks, will be using existing inverter as noted.

David
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Should work well for you... You might drop a remote thermometer in that bay, if the temp's climb too high put a t-stat controlled muffin fan on a 2nd vent to move fresh air in or stale air out.