Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2016, 08:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to ed rzepka
Inverter/Shore Power Simultaneous Operation

I have a Xantrex 1000W inverter. Can the inverter and shore power be operated simultaneously without adverse affects to the inverter or other electrical components? I.E., if I have the inverter turned on while driving down the road, then pull into a campsite and forget turn off the inverter.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Check the documentation on your inverter, but usually if they're hard-wired into the system they sense power and turn themselves off. You could also download the electrical wiring diagram on the Winnebago website and check to see how it's wired into your RV.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Not an issue the inverter goes into bypass mode when shore or generator power is connect.

Sent from my iPhone
Grant & Pat
2014 Adventurer 35P
2013 Jeep Wangler
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Based on my experience and I'm no expert with inverters. My inverter is always on 24/7. When I move, I unhook shore power and run gen at next destination I hook to shore power, have had no problems. It was explained to me that the inverter passes the electric through it. I am not sure what that means exactly. I've read and talked to people that have different viewpoints as well. My disclaimer, check your manual or call Xantrex, I've had good responses on the phone with them.
LookAtUSNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

What model Xantrex inverter ?

Some inverters have no pass thru but people wire in a transfer switch so both sources of power don't conflict.

That's the setup I have and I leave the inverter on, unless storing for months.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
What model Xantrex inverter ?

Some inverters have no pass thru but people wire in a transfer switch so both sources of power don't conflict.

That's the setup I have and I leave the inverter on, unless storing for months.
Model Number: 806-1010

I usually look this stuff up and research the principles behind it's operation. But we are leaving Sunday for 4 months and I just thought of it yesterday. After 13 years in 5th wheels and towing 92k, this MH experience and packing is a whole new ball game. Anyway I looked in the Winnie manuals but he info was basically on how to operate it. I don't want to make a mistake and forget to turn the inverter off once we hook to shore power. As such, I went to the forum hoping that somebody else would know. My sense is that there is some sort of smart technology involved here that will prevent problems. I will try and do a little more research tonight on the web and go through my materials to be sure I didn't miss anything.

thanks
ed
Old 05-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Your inverter has a built in transfer switch. When AC power is being supplied, the transfer switch will turn off the inverter and supply the load with the connected AC. When the AC supply is disconnected, the inverter will supply the load with inverted AC from your battery source,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

You should have a Standby mode which is what we leave our Xantrex 2000 in pretty much all the time. It supplies power when we disconnect from shore. I don't have to go around resetting all those clocks. Then when reconnected it switches back to Standby Overridden by Charger.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:06 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
I have a Xantrex 1000W inverter. Can the inverter and shore power be operated simultaneously without adverse affects to the inverter or other electrical components? I.E., if I have the inverter turned on while driving down the road, then pull into a campsite and forget turn off the inverter.
OK here is the fat and skinny of the inverter in your unit. You can leave it off unless you are dry camping and want to watch TV in the bedroom or the main TV. It also feeds a couple of other outlets. If you leave it OFF AC power will pass thru. If it is ON then it draws power directly from the battery if no AC is available.
Leave it OFF unless you need it, I haven't ever used mine except for testing purposes.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:26 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

UOTE=SuperGewl;3068490]OK here is the fat and skinny of the inverter in your unit. You can leave it off unless you are dry camping and want to watch TV in the bedroom or the main TV. It also feeds a couple of other outlets. If you leave it OFF AC power will pass thru. If it is ON then it draws power directly from the battery if no AC is available.
Leave it OFF unless you need it, I haven't ever used mine except for testing purposes. [/QUOTE]

Based on what you say, that is what I intend to do. However, my concerned is that that I inadvertently leave the inverter on when the rig is connected to shore power, will it damage the inverter? From what I read the answer is no. I do see my self using it to charge small appliances while on the road and to hold the time on electric clocks.

thanks
ed
Old 05-15-2016, 11:55 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

You are correct it should not hurt it. Just remember only certain outlets are fed by the inverter and it will eat away at your House batteries as you travel. They will still be getting a charge from the engine but it may not keep up.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:14 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Try the Xantrex website, they have manuals for the equipment online.
LookAtUSNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:48 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Not sure why this is an issue. Certainly it doesn't hurt an inverter to be plugged in and you won't drain the batteries - your batteries should be getting charged on shore power, so leave the system on. I never have to turn anything on or off. It's all wired to work together.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:14 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBowls View Post
Not sure why this is an issue. Certainly it doesn't hurt an inverter to be plugged in and you won't drain the batteries - your batteries should be getting charged on shore power, so leave the system on. I never have to turn anything on or off. It's all wired to work together.
An inverter will cause 'harm' if left on and no charging source for the battery. It will draw power, even in standby, (not much, but some) and draw the battery down to a preset low voltage limit then it will shut itself off.

All this to keep a clock set? I'd put in a battery powered clock and ignore the displays on the microwave or whatever.

The nature of alternating current prohibits having two sources of 120 v AC tied together directly. The peaks could reach 240 v and the lows 0 v and you'd destroy devices plugged into it. A hard-wired inverter must have circuits to disconnect itself when another source of 120 v is present. (generator or shore cord)

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, power