Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2011, 10:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Inverter Question

We have a 2006 Journey that has a 2000w inverter. The control for the inverter is adjustable for a desired amperage output. The maximum adjustment is 25 amps. Simple math says that 2000 watts at 115 volts will generate a max of about 17 amps. I assume this to be the max output of my inverter without causing a issue elsewhere. If I set the amperage output to 15 amps, what happens if the power draw exceeds that? Will line voltage drop, will the inverter go off line, or will a fuse (if so equipped) blow?

Thanks, Dan
Pelledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Are you sure that you can adjust the "output". Mine has the ability to tell the inverter the "input or line in" amps for the charger, but nothing to control the output of the inverter.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I suspect you have a misunderstanding on what that adjustment is.

Some inverters are also converters, and some do "power share" My Prosine has a "AC BREAKER" setting which I can see someone thinking it means "Output"

This setting has to do with it's power share.. In my case the max size is 30 amps. If it is set to 30 amps and the AC loads on the unit when it is in pass through mode exceed about 20 amps, then it will "Throttle down" the battery charger to keep the total load under 27 amps if possible.

The other "Max amps" setting, is the battery chargers, on my prosine it goes up to 100 (Well, 99)
Old 04-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

My 2007 Ellipse has an adjustable charger input but nothing to limit the output. I learned this the hard way. When left at the factory setting of 25 amps it fried two sets of batteries. When forced to spend a couple of months with only a 15 amp hookup available, I cranked it down to 5 amps so as to not trip the breaker.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The following is from the Dimension's inverter operating manual, page 18:

7.1.3 Battery Charger Draw - Set Input:
The SPS automatically limits the battery charger AC current draw to a maximum of 25 Amps and the SPS also has the automatic power share feature (see section 3.2.1 page 6). The user may want to further limit the charger’s maximum AC current draw because of a limited capacity “shore” power source (ie: 15 Amps rather than 30 or 50 Amps). Decrease the input AC charge current limit in increments of 5 Amps by pressing the “CHARGER DRAW – SET INPUT” button on the Inverter/Charger Control Panel (see figure 2, item 4, page 8).

I have found when plugged into a 15 amp outlet (my storage unit has this) I have to set the input limit to 5 amps so that I can run the refrigerator on electric and keep the batteries charged up while in storage. If I go at a higher level it usually kicks off the circuit breaker on the power outlet I am plugged into.

CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

My ignorance is showing. I need a class on Inverter-ology 101. I know this thing thing takes 12V DC from the coach batteries and converts it to 115V AC. According to what I've read, the coach batteries are replenished from the engine's alternator as you drive down the road. From these replies, the amperage selection is set based on anticipated power draw? How do I know how much power the appliance takes? Again from the replies, I see that it is also a charger. Where does its the primary power source come from to do the charger thing? It can't take 12vdc to charge 12vdc, it must use 115 AC for that, so it must be able to be independently plugged into 115v. If so, it needs to have a 115 ac power cord that can be unplugged from it's DC-AC inverter function, to a AC-DC charger function. Can that be correct?
I am TOTALLY confused. Help?
Dan
Pelledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Here are some notes about how things can work.

http://www.dimensions.sensata.com/Ap...otes/AN201.pdf

http://www.dimensions.sensata.com/Ap...otes/AN208.pdf

http://www.dimensions.sensata.com/Ap...otes/AN212.pdf

This should be your owners manual:

http://www.dimensionsunlimited.com/Manuals/121986.pdf
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Hi Still new to this. Want to get an inverter. Have a 40 foot mountain aire. was looking at the xantrex and the magnum. I saw that xantrex had a recall, but has fixed the problem now. I do like the fact, that magnum is made in the USA. Any recomdations? Thanks for the help
rebel4963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Pelledan: Don't feel bad about not fully understanding the systems. I have a background in auto electrical systems, and it took me a few months of research to fully understand these systems with shore power, generator power, and inverter power in addition to the 12 volt side of the system. A great tool for monitoring the 120 volt system is the Kill-A-Watt meter. It will monitor system voltage, and also report amps or watts drawn by any of your appliances. You can then make a list of electrical loads so that you can calculate what can be run on a limited circuit (15 or 20 amps) such as plugging in at home.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Rebel: Xantrex has a long standing reputation as one of the best inverter and converter suppliers. Sort of like Honda generators. If my Dimensions ever dies, it will be replaced by a Xantrex.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote