Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2020, 06:54 PM   #1
2004 Itasca Sunrise

Question Inverter question.....

We recently acquired a 2004 Itasca Sunrise from my wife's aunt and uncle. The interior is cosmetically in pretty good shape but it sat unused for several years so it has required a fair amount of tinkering to get all the systems up to par. I think we've gotten nearly everything squared away with the exception of the inverter, an outdated Dimensions Unlimited 300 watt modified sine wave inverter with an internal transfer switch, which is inoperative. I'd like to replace it with at least a 1000 watt pure sine wave model but am having a difficult time finding one with an internal transfer switch that is relatively inexpensive. I discovered online that the newer models have 2000 watt inverters but I'm having a difficult time finding the exact model and I can't find a cross reference to the Winnebago part number.

I should also mention that this inverter is NOT for the entire coach, just the TV and a couple of other receptacles and it seems that many of the newer inverter/chargers are specifically for solar applications which isn't something I'm not particularly interested in at the moment.

Does anyone have any suggestion for a replacement?
AveryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

You can get a Surge Guard 41300 transfer switch to mount next to the inverter for $ 63.54 on Amazon. It may be a lot more cost effective to buy that and 2,000 watt or smaller inverter. Can get a 2,000 Watt PSW inverter with remote control panel on Amazon for $ 285.96 2000Watt Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter 12V DC to 120V AC with 4 AC Outlets Dual 2.4A USB Ports Remote Control & LCD Display by VOLTWORKS

A lot cheaper than paying well over $ 1,000 for one with the transfer switch integrated into the inverter case.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:31 AM   #3
2004 Itasca Sunrise

Thanks for the information and especially for the included links! It looks like that is a much more cost effective route.

Old 02-16-2020, 05:18 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I had this same problem in my 2003. Just remember the 12V DC power going to the inverter is rated for a 300 watt and not 2000. If you plan to install a 2000 watt your going to need to run all new 12V cable. For me that would have been about 35' of #2 cable and even if i had tried it wouldn't fit in the window channel anyway. I replaced mine with another 300 watt inverter and used a external transfer switch ( https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004S5Y1..._VltsEbBD3827D )
Old 02-16-2020, 08:15 PM   #5
2004 Itasca Sunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2ztx View Post
I had this same problem in my 2003. Just remember the 12V DC power going to the inverter is rated for a 300 watt and not 2000. If you plan to install a 2000 watt your going to need to run all new 12V cable. For me that would have been about 35' of #2 cable and even if i had tried it wouldn't fit in the window channel anyway. I replaced mine with another 300 watt inverter and used a external transfer switch ( https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004S5Y1..._VltsEbBD3827D )
Thanks for that bit of wisdom. For some reason, I never even considered that as being a potential problem so I need to reconsider. Good thing I haven't ordered that replacement yet!
Old 02-16-2020, 08:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Have faced the same issue with the Dimensions 300. Xantrex makes a 1000 watt with internal xfer switch that could replace the 300W.

To replace the Dimensions 300 in my situation the battery cables needed to be upgraded and the cabinetry had to be modified to suit the Xantrex. If the added inverter power (300W to 1000W) is used, the house batteries will discharge faster.To accommodate the increase in inverter power, changing my 2 12V house batteries to 2 6V batteries would increase the total power available to the inverter and sustain the existing 12V needs without rapidly discharging the house batteries.

So, after these considerations, I opted to pay Dimensions a $500 flat fee to repair the "300". Dimensions is now a subsidiary of a different company but they issued a RMA number to me on the phone and things went smoothly. Due to the weight of the 300 the shipping costs are significant.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Check out Xantrex product number XM 1000
Old 02-16-2020, 10:02 PM   #8
2004 Itasca Sunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedboy View Post
Check out Xantrex product number XM 1000
I had originally entertained replacing my current inverter with that model which I thought would be a perfect replacement but when I consulted my electrical engineer S-I-L, he was concerned that the Xantrex XM Pro Series models were modified sine wave inverters. He recommended a pure sine wave inverter if we anticipated using it for sensitive items like laptop chargers, etc. Frankly, I'm not smart enough to know the difference.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:10 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryF View Post
Frankly, I'm not smart enough to know the difference.

Modified Sine Wave inverters are much less expensive and many older RVs came with that type due to cost reasons. Plenty of those owners will tell you they work fine. Now that prices have fallen Pure Sine Wave inverters are more the norm in modern RVs.

In short, MSW is cheaper and OK, but PSW is not that expensive and better overall. For a new installation I would think you would naturally go with PSW.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:20 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I agree PSW is preferable. There are two differences in the waveforms, MSW vs PSW, RISE TIME and DUTY CYCLE. Without a detailed explanation, most modern (recent technology) devices have internal tolerance for rise time issues but duty cycle is hard to deal with electronically, particularly in motors (like the microwave oven and power tools).

My real life experience is that my on-board Dell desktop PC, Jensen TV, Dish Wally satellite receiver and Winegard Travl'r dish antenna controller, HP printer as well as my laptop battery charger, WiFi range extender, Dirt Devil Vacuum Cleaner and air mattress inflater all work with the Dimensions 300 MSW.

Upgrading to the Xanteck 1000 would supply enough power to run the microwave oven but I don't know if it would work.

At any rate, anything that has a motor in it needs to be checked out, the symptoms would be the motor gets hot and/or growls at you. Microwave ovens (refrigerators?) aren't a good idea for MSW because they are sensitive to the shape of the waveform. Portable heaters with fans are suspect, probably wouldn't plug them into the inverter anyway. Older electronics, TV's etc can be seriously damaged by MSW rise time/oscillation issues.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:48 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

A solution to protecting the wiring is to put a 25A (DC) circuit breaker on the 12v supply, or a 2.5a (AC) breaker on the 115v output side of the inverter.

Best to get a pushbutton reset type: < $6

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst.../dp/B000K2IKDW
sjrv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter