Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

The inverter in my 2002 Journey has apparently quit. I would appreciate trouble shooting suggestions and suggestions regarding either replacement or upgrading to a better converter/inverter that has the 3 step battery charging cycles

2002 36GD Journey DL
Robert Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The inverter in my 2002 Journey has apparently quit. I would appreciate trouble shooting suggestions and suggestions regarding either replacement or upgrading to a better converter/inverter that has the 3 step battery charging cycles

2002 36GD Journey DL
Old 01-06-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I can't offer much troubleshooting help but I do know that a number of folks who upgraded inverters chose the Xantrex true sine wave model. That is what I plan to use if/when my existing unit fails. The true sine wave units are kinder to the sensitive electronic devices most of us use in our rigs....LCD TV's, computers, etc.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Where is the best place to purchase the Xantrex converter/inverter, and what model would be best to replace the 55amp unit I have now?

2002 36GD Journey DL
Old 01-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Do a search for Xantrex on Ebay. Several dealers sell there.
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert Rice:
Where is the best place to purchase the Xantrex converter/inverter, and what model would be best to replace the 55amp unit I have now? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of the sponsors of IRV2, RVupgrades sells inverters. I would replace my 1500 Watt Heart inverter/charger with this one:

Xantrex 2000 Watt Inverter
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #7
KIX
Winnebago Master

Call Xantrex TEch. Service for some guidance. They used to offer a huge discount to replace one of their (incl. Heart) products.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:07 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Am I correct in assuming that my motorhome has a converter/charger (location unknown), and a seperate inverter located in the upper right compartment at the front of the motorhome with the VCR and the TV control switches? If this is correct, I need to repair/replace the inverter and up-grade the converter/charger to one that has the latest charging cycles.
Is this a good approach, or should I consider another course of action??

2002 36GD Journey DL
Old 01-07-2009, 05:59 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I also have the DL series Journey and it has a 1500 watt Heart (made by Xantrex) inverter/multistage charger. I thought all of the DL's came with those but perhaps not so (I am not the original owner).

Look in the left rear compartment with the power cord and see if there is a large, black device on an upper shelf just over the power cord. That is where my inverter/charger is located.

You can go to this link, put in your coach serial #, and see every item Winnebago installed in your coach at the factory:

Parts Locator
Old 01-07-2009, 06:23 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Hi All, Before you do anything about replacement, check to see if the inverter has blown a series of fuses. There are 2 fuses on top of the inverter. 30 amp, I believe. They may simply need to be replaced. You may need to know what caused the problem in the first place. Al
Al Spivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:02 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I replaced the original inverter (for tv's) with a xantrex 2000 watt inverter charger after replacing the original twice. Not only is the benefit that all 110V appliances (not air or heaters) are usable but the 3 stage (plus equalization) cycle will keep your batteries in better condition.

Of all upgrades I've done this was number 1.

Got it done at Camping World.

Charlie
2002 Journey
109,000 miles
XR-7 toad
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

There is a known issue with the Xantrex Freedom inverter/charger. I have the 2000 Watt version, but the problem would also be in the 1500 watt model. The control board plugs into an edge connector and through travel, and vibration the board can come lose from the edge connector. When you are facing the inverter look at the top portion of the unit. There are two screws about two inches from the top of the unit, and the screws are about four inches apart. These are the screws that attach the edge connector to the case. Press in firmly on the case in this area and in most cases you can reseat the control board without removing the unit. I am not saying this is what is wrong, but I do know this is a common problem with this type of unit. Hope this will help.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:38 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Well it appears that I have jumped the gun so to speak. I became suspicious of the batteries and removed external power and seperated the batteries and measured the voltage at 4.1 volts. I will check the inverter after I have replaced the batteries. I want to thank you all for your help.

2002 36GD Journey DL