Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-07-2020, 12:50 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverosen13 View Post
If it is like the Travato, this is the intended performance (sadly). Only the TV outlets work off of the inverter (possibly some others, but most not), at least when the generator and shoreline are disconnected.
I don't see any clear rationale behind how Winnebago does this sort of thing. In our Fuse the inverter powers 3 outlets - one behind the front TV, one behind the rear TV and one in the bedroom, but some of the other Winnie diesel Class Cs apparently only have 2 outlets powered by the inverter. Why? I have no idea.

I would think that the bedroom outlet powered by the inverter in our Fuse would be for a CPAP machine but, if so, why not the other models? And I am not even sure that the other Fuse models (ours is the 23T) have the same outlet setup as ours. None of makes sense from a design standpoint to me.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 01:29 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
I don't see any clear rationale behind how Winnebago does this sort of thing. In our Fuse the inverter powers 3 outlets - one behind the front TV, one behind the rear TV and one in the bedroom, but some of the other Winnie diesel Class Cs apparently only have 2 outlets powered by the inverter. Why? I have no idea.

I would think that the bedroom outlet powered by the inverter in our Fuse would be for a CPAP machine but, if so, why not the other models? And I am not even sure that the other Fuse models (ours is the 23T) have the same outlet setup as ours. None of makes sense from a design standpoint to me.
I don't think of it as being a design thing as much as a sales point.
If we go car shopping we can find things like a Focus that comes in some form they may call SE but also comes in SEL ( just making up names!) and there are several different ways people shop.
Some will ask which is cheaper and start there, while others ask which is better. Lots of folks start at the top and get the SEL Grand that has two hundred dollars worth of USB charger feature added and costs about $1500 more, so having both on the sales lot is really a good profit item for the dealer!
When we go looking for a new RV, most of us will be hard pressed to spot the small points in a Vita or Fuse, so we will miss lots of the small points but you can bet the design was certainly changed to meet the main objective of increased profits!
The idea of saving a few hundred dollars on a new RV may seem meaningless to many of us but if you figure that same amount saved on several thousand units built, it gets real meaning to them!
Like the different cost of putting a 300 watt inverter in, instead of a 1000 watt inverter, seems not worth the effort to many buyers but to the guy who owns the business it means a lot.
Bait and switch is just the final form of normal business practice!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:27 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I don't think of it as being a design thing as much as a sales point.
If we go car shopping we can find things like a Focus that comes in some form they may call SE but also comes in SEL ( just making up names!) and there are several different ways people shop.
Some will ask which is cheaper and start there, while others ask which is better. Lots of folks start at the top and get the SEL Grand that has two hundred dollars worth of USB charger feature added and costs about $1500 more, so having both on the sales lot is really a good profit item for the dealer!
When we go looking for a new RV, most of us will be hard pressed to spot the small points in a Vita or Fuse, so we will miss lots of the small points but you can bet the design was certainly changed to meet the main objective of increased profits!
The idea of saving a few hundred dollars on a new RV may seem meaningless to many of us but if you figure that same amount saved on several thousand units built, it gets real meaning to them!
Like the different cost of putting a 300 watt inverter in, instead of a 1000 watt inverter, seems not worth the effort to many buyers but to the guy who owns the business it means a lot.
Bait and switch is just the final form of normal business practice!
All true. I have no issue with what you posted. However it does mean that I was not clear in what I meant when I posted. My mistake.

I was referring specifically to the number of outlets that are wired to the inverter. It seems to me that if they made the decision to wire 3 outlets in the Fuse to the inverter, then the other similar Class C diesel RVs (those on the MB chassis) would have at least those same outlets wired to the inverter. After all, the Fuse is probably the low cost option of Winnie's Class C diesel RVs, so I would have thought that they would include the base set of wired outlets.

Corresponding to that is the idea that there would be a wired outlet in the bedroom for the use of CPAP machines. They did that in the Fuse 23T (or at least in my 23T ) and I would have thought that they would do the same in the others, considering how many users might need that.

But then again why would I think that I had any insight into what seems reasonable to them?
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 04:37 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Yes, got to say things that seem to make sense often don't get done. Sometimes, it's almost as if there were two teams in different buildings doing almost the same things and working together some but not totally agree on details, even though it might cost more to have two different designs. Maybe a simple "market share" thinking where they can put out two different models without actually making much different but a couple outlets different and a few hundred dollars to make it look like one can buy this one or that one without us actually noting that they are almost the same?
Like you, I'm often lost on the what and why of it all.
I have an engineer /lawyer in the family and it gets him shaking his head at times why they put out some things they build. They have meeting after meeting to discuss details and agree to make changes and then it comes out without the changes!
There's logic out there somewhere but it gets hard to find!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter