Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2020, 04:03 PM   #1
Living The Dream

Inverter on 2018 24D powers what?

Howdy. On my 2018 24D View, I’ve physically checked what is powered with 110v when the factory inverter is on, but I’m wondering if WGO intended it that way.

Tried to determine from the appropriate online “schematic” (which really isn’t a schematic, more of a quasi-physical) ... can’t figure it out. Either the drawing isn’t sufficient or it’s just me

Seems with the inverter switched ON ...

I HAVE power:
-at the receptacle in the overhead cabinet for the TV
-at the two bedside receptacles
-at the overhead receptacle above the dinette.

I DON’T HAVE power:
-at the receptacle in the bathroom
-at the receptacle for the microwave
-at the overhead receptacle above the kitchen counter
-at the receptacle in the outside lower bay next to the entry door.

How is your factory 1000w inverter wired on your 2018 24D?

Appreciate your replies.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Yes, I fully agree that the later models after 2010 are provided very limited online wiring info and it does make it pretty tough to sort things. But I also expect that you are correct in the limited number of places the inverter will serve and it does make sense for this reason.
The 1000 watt inverter is pretty small, way too small to run much more than the TV and a few low power items. That would not include a microwave, hair drier or coffee pot, so it is not connected to the places we might want to use those items!
But it is enough to run a cell phone charger at the dinette, a CPAP machine at the bed and a new model TV!
YUP! It's a small machine with limited uses. But still more than small RV used to get.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Howdy. On my 2018 24D View, I’ve physically checked what is powered with 110v when the factory inverter is on, but I’m wondering if WGO intended it that way.

Tried to determine from the appropriate online “schematic” (which really isn’t a schematic, more of a quasi-physical) ... can’t figure it out. Either the drawing isn’t sufficient or it’s just me

Seems with the inverter switched ON ...

I HAVE power:
-at the receptacle in the overhead cabinet for the TV
-at the two bedside receptacles
-at the overhead receptacle above the dinette.

I DON’T HAVE power:
-at the receptacle in the bathroom
-at the receptacle for the microwave
-at the overhead receptacle above the kitchen counter
-at the receptacle in the outside lower bay next to the entry door.

How is your factory 1000w inverter wired on your 2018 24D?

Appreciate your replies.
I have a 2018 Navion 24V and that sounds about right. I also have an inverted outlet down low on the outside lav wall between the forward lav wall and the sofa/slide.
I've never checked the "-at the receptacle in the outside lower bay next to the entry door." so not sure about that one.
I'm not sure what powers it, but I have a courtesy lamp inside the lockable storage compartment that's located directly under the sleeping area at the rear of the coach. It seems like it's always powered, but not sure from what. Maybe chassis battery?
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I am a little puzzled by you question as you have what you have. Are you considering upgrading your inverter and wiring it to more outlets? That would be a logical question.

You can upgrade your inverter to supply more outlets but it isn't easy and requires some thought about battery capacity, wire size, how to manage inverter supplied vs non inverter supplied outlets, etc.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:28 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
I am a little puzzled by you question as you have what you have.
David
David, I think he’s expecting to see inverted power at some other plugs and is wondering if it’s a mistake from the factory.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:34 AM   #6
Site Team

SeeTheUSA, you have a 1000w inverter which is not enough to power your microwave. So, WBGO would not wire the microwave receptacle to the inverter.

They generally have inverter power at the TV/entertainment area and the bedroom. Sometimes they put one in the bathroom, too.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:01 AM   #7
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
I am a little puzzled by you question as you have what you have. Are you considering upgrading your inverter and wiring it to more outlets? That would be a logical question.

You can upgrade your inverter to supply more outlets but it isn't easy and requires some thought about battery capacity, wire size, how to manage inverter supplied vs non inverter supplied outlets, etc.

David
No mystery. What I wanted to know is exactly what I asked. Nothing more, just a different logical question ... “How is your factory 1000w inverter wired on your 2018 24D?“

Thanks for the replies. With nobody indicating their rig is wired any differently, I can conclude mine must be wired as intended. If WGO still provided actual electrical schematics, I could have figured that out all by myself.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Do you know if the inverter powers those outlets thru any circuit breakers on the inside power panel? Trying to figure out where the inverter output goes prior to getting to those outlets.
rreynolds51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I would assume it goes from the 3 pronged grounded plug that's plugged into my inverter, back inside to the 110AC auto-transfer switch and then to the power distribution panel which is probably at the back of the panel where the coach breakers/fuses are located.
Old 09-13-2020, 05:33 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I'm not sure there's a auto transfer switch involved but not sure. If the inverter is off there's no power to those outlets. Whether it goes thru fuses in the power panel inside is the main question.
rreynolds51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:51 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I just looked at my wiring diagram, and the 3 pronged plug feeds directly into an auto-transfer switch inside somewhere, that feeds the load center, I think. No idea what it switches from/to.
I'm not an electrician by any stretch.
You can go to WGOIND.COM and look at your wiring diagrams. Not sure if the View/Navion are different, but there's one for each.
Wiring Diagrams

Tags
inverter, power