Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2008, 12:53 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Does anyone with a 35J have a factory installed inverter? I'm trying to find where they put it and maybe the wiring is there even if the inverter was not installed. Our 08 Sightseer 35J does not have an inverter and I can't find one on the schematics for either the Sightseer or the Sunova. Thanks! Steve
Old 07-17-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Does anyone with a 35J have a factory installed inverter? I'm trying to find where they put it and maybe the wiring is there even if the inverter was not installed. Our 08 Sightseer 35J does not have an inverter and I can't find one on the schematics for either the Sightseer or the Sunova. Thanks! Steve
Old 07-17-2008, 02:26 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Belgique:
Does anyone with a 35J have a factory installed inverter? I'm trying to find where they put it and maybe the wiring is there even if the inverter was not installed. Our 08 Sightseer 35J does not have an inverter and I can't find one on the schematics for either the Sightseer or the Sunova. Thanks! Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have your model year Sightseer, but my inverter is in the same overhead compartment as the VHS/DVD player, mounted with Velcro on the upper shelf, just above the player. While your T.V. componets may be located in a different location, I would think the inverter is in the same cabinet as the player, near the T.V.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Just looked at an '09 in Forest City. It was under the kitchen sink, exposed to the left of the door as you walk in.

Looking at the '08 wiring installation diagram, I do see a note "2-pin housing from wire asm-chassis to inverter" pointing under the sink. But I don't see the inverter proper. The wiring schematic shows 10 gauge wires, labeled CM and CN going to the inverter, the power CM coming from chassis breaker panel. CM is a single wire, implying the inverter would be close by.

So I'll guess under the sink for an '08...

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:10 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tderonne:
Just looked at an '09 in Forest City. It was under the kitchen sink, exposed to the left of the door as you walk in.

Looking at the '08 wiring installation diagram, I do see a note "2-pin housing from wire asm-chassis to inverter" pointing under the sink. But I don't see the inverter proper. The wiring schematic shows 10 gauge wires, labeled CM and CN going to the inverter, the power CM coming from chassis breaker panel. CM is a single wire, implying the inverter would be close by.

So I'll guess under the sink for an '08... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOW! Never would have guessed there! What gets plugged in there, or is the output hardwired back to a 110v outlet near the T.V?
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:23 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Looking at the '08 wiring installation diagram, I do see a note "2-pin housing from wire asm-chassis to inverter" pointing under the sink. But I don't see the inverter proper. The wiring schematic shows 10 gauge wires, labeled CM and CN going to the inverter, the power CM coming from chassis breaker panel. CM is a single wire, implying the inverter would be close by.So I'll guess under the sink for an '08... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw that 2 pin housing notation and did not understand it and missed the CM/CN references. That location could make sense because other posts have said put it as close to the batteries as possible and an inverter in the overhead would generate a lot of heat (that's where it was on my 01 Itasca 35U).

UPDATE:
Ok. Thanks for the tip...did some searching and here's what I found.

On the 12V side, it is all there and is hot from the battery. CN (White) and CM (Yellow are in a plug. CP is white and is a single plug that goes to inverter case ground. So, should be able to power up the inverter from 12V easy.

110V Side. I found that Breaker "RECEP 3" in the house 110 breaker box controls these Receps: front TV, Recep next to co-pilot chair; recep in closet that rear TV plugs into; and recp in the vanity under the bedroom TV. So, I presume that it is wired so that if you don't have shore/gen power, you will have rectified 110V at these receps???

I found the recep shown in the wiring install body 110V View DA, The face plate looks like it is a plug but the holes are solid. I'm guessing that this is where the output of the rectifier will be fed to???? I haven't found the plug where you plug the rectifier into but maybe I just don't understand the schematic.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:43 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I'm reviving this because I'm getting ready to take action.

Does anyone (probably a Sunova where it would be included) have one factory installed? I see on the schmatics etc where it goes under the sink but I don't see how it would fit in there with the drains and water lines.

Thanks in advance.. Steve
Old 11-19-2008, 03:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Steve, Sorry I hadn't seen your post previously. Don't know how I missed it. Mine is factory installed. I'll go out now and take a picture of the outside and will attempt to take one of the inside. I think that area under the sink is pretty well covered, but will let you know ASAP. I'll send whatever pics I can get on your personal e-mail. Eric
emmmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:16 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

For a Squid, you're not a bad guy! Much appreciate it! Come see us and I owe you an adult beverage(s). In case I had not sent it, this is where we are: www.pelicansrest.net. Have 30 amp on the water. Cost=showing me how Winnie installed the inverter. Hope you and yours have a great Thanksgiving! Steve
Old 11-19-2008, 05:19 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Eric,
If you aren't going to post pictures of the factory installation on the forum, I would certainly appreciate it if you could put me on the mailing list and include me in your distribution. I have a similar set-up in my Brave and am looking to install an inverter also. The logical place for it is in the same location under the breaker boxes for AC and DC power that are under the sink and accessable throught the two doors right by the entry steps. Makes sense to put it there where it will only be about a 3 foot run to the house batteries and the breaker for the recepticles in the fwd tv cabinet, the rear tv cabinet and a couple of other 115 volt plugs is located.
Thanks for taking the time and trouble to get these photos to help us in visualizing the layout.
My e-mail, if you are sending them is cjua at bellsouth dot net

Thanks Again,

2004 Winnebago Brave 32v on W20 w/8.1L and Allison
Capt Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:18 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Capt Joe,

Didn't mean to short-change anybody on this... and don't know if it will work. I was in a bit of a rush since I am emptying out the MH to take to the dealer Saturday morning for some small repair work. First time to a dealer since we purchased it. I haven't posted any photos online here, but here goes.

The first photo shows the inverter mount area from the entrance and the others basically don't show much other than the location of the inverter near the floor behind the wall under the sink area and the others show the wires where the yellow/white connector hooks up with the red/white connector from the inverter.

http://i246.photobucket.com/al...IMG_3227_389x518.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/al...IMG_3232_518x389.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/al...IMG_3243_518x389.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/al...IMG_3251_518x389.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/al...IMG_3252_518x389.jpg

This is not a self-install, but was from the factory this way.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance or provide additional photos.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:17 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Eric! One more question when you have a second. Lichtsinn says that is a Dimensions Win-12/300TL and they want $440.95 for it. From the number, I'm assuming it is a 300 watt and I bet it is a modified sine wave (MSW). If so, that's big $ for 300 watt MSW IMHO.

Ooops...disregard: I just found it on the schematics and it says 300W. I'll bet it is MSW. I'll leave this info here in case someone else needs it. The folks at Lichtsinn are super helpful and responsive. Can't imagine why that is so expensive. Steve
Old 11-20-2008, 03:01 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Steve, I looked back at our invoice and we paid $300 for it from the factory. It has enough power to run everything we've used it for everything we've needed (TV, charging kids games, running our laptop).