Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2009, 09:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Inverter Installation Question

I have a 2000 Itasca Horizon with no inverter. I have been reading many of the other posts on this site concerning inverters and an thinking of installing the Xantrex RS2000 Sine Wave Inverter/Charger. My question is, is the installation something I can do myself? I usually enjoy taking on projects, but when it gets to electricity I am not quit as sure of myself. Has anyone else done this themselves and is it something that you would recommend?

Thanks

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:36 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

It shouldn't be too difficult. Just locate the inverter as close to the batteries as you can and use wire that is heavy enough.
The only tricky part will be adding a transfer switch if you want to power a couple of outlets instead of all of them. For example you probably don't want the microwave, electric water heater, refrigerator or air conditioner outlets powered by the inverter since those items would draw too much current and woukld deplete your batteries quickly.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Here is the Application Note Wiring Diagram for the RS-2000. Here is List of Manuals and Application Notes.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:16 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: You have to first tell us why you want an inverter. You will probably want a subpanel to control what gets run from the converter. If you dry camp and want to be able to heat a cup or two of water or reheat something for a couple of minutes without turning on the generator you may want the microwave to be powered by the inverter. If you battery bank is good it should be no problem for a 2000 watt inverter to run the microwave for a short time.

Anyway, you see what I mean. Think through what you want to do and you will be able to get good suggestions from others here that have done something like you want to do.

You will be working with large currents that require big wires and also with 120 volt circuits, but if you are like me you will do it just to learn how things work, this is a good excuse.

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Can you do it yourself? I don't know.

Could I do it myself: YES

First, decide what loads you want on the inverter, Microwave, Television, GFCI loop (Bathroom/kitchen/outside outlets) would be my suggestion

Then disconnect those loads from their breakers in the main braker box and move them to a 2nd breaker box you will have to buy and install.

Now, put a 30 amp breaker in the main box to feed the Xantrex (or whatever size they suggest)

Run the proper wire from that breaker to the unit, LABEL IT "Inverter Input" or some such, write right on the wire with a magic marker

Run a 2nd wire, same size, back to the new breaker box INVERTER OUT

And bolt the thing in place

On the 12 volt side, disconnect your existing converter (there are 3 ways to do this, If it has a dedicated breaker and is hard wired, TURN OFF and install a lock off on the breaker, That way if the Xantrex fails you can turn it back on

If it plugs in .. UNPLUG and again "lock off" the plug (Bread tie though the prongs with a label that explains what it is and why it's not plugged in)

If it's hard wired to a "Shared circuit" You are gonna have to cut or disconnect a wire, and tape it off.

Find out how far the wire run will be to the batteries and using the owner's manual find out what size wire Xantrex suggests.. Go one size larger, get the proper fuse

Get two lengths of wire, one red, one black, tape them together for as much of the run as you can, Hook one end to the lugs on the Xantrex, making sure you have no shorts (Visual inspection)

The black wire goes to the Negative battery terminal but DO NOT CONNECT at this time.. the red wire goes to a high-current fuse block, and a 2nd red wire from there to the POSITIVE battery terminal, go ahead and hook this one up, install fuse, last connection is the negative wire.

SUGGESTION: Remove ALL wires from the negative battery terminal before touching the positive terminal.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Can you do it yourself? I don't know.

Could I do it myself: YES

First, decide what loads you want on the inverter, Microwave, Television, GFCI loop (Bathroom/kitchen/outside outlets) would be my suggestion

Then disconnect those loads from their breakers in the main braker box and move them to a 2nd breaker box you will have to buy and install.

Now, put a 30 amp breaker in the main box to feed the Xantrex (or whatever size they suggest)

Run the proper wire from that breaker to the unit, LABEL IT "Inverter Input" or some such, write right on the wire with a magic marker

Run a 2nd wire, same size, back to the new breaker box INVERTER OUT

And bolt the thing in place

On the 12 volt side, disconnect your existing converter (there are 3 ways to do this, If it has a dedicated breaker and is hard wired, TURN OFF and install a lock off on the breaker, That way if the Xantrex fails you can turn it back on

If it plugs in .. UNPLUG and again "lock off" the plug (Bread tie though the prongs with a label that explains what it is and why it's not plugged in)

If it's hard wired to a "Shared circuit" You are gonna have to cut or disconnect a wire, and tape it off.

Find out how far the wire run will be to the batteries and using the owner's manual find out what size wire Xantrex suggests.. Go one size larger, get the proper fuse

Get two lengths of wire, one red, one black, tape them together for as much of the run as you can, Hook one end to the lugs on the Xantrex, making sure you have no shorts (Visual inspection)

The black wire goes to the Negative battery terminal but DO NOT CONNECT at this time.. the red wire goes to a high-current fuse block, and a 2nd red wire from there to the POSITIVE battery terminal, go ahead and hook this one up, install fuse, last connection is the negative wire.

SUGGESTION: Remove ALL wires from the negative battery terminal before touching the positive terminal.
Thank you for your response. That is probably the best response to one of my questions I have ever gotten. Thanks again!

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I put the Xantrex Prosine 2000 in my last coach, an Adventurer, and did it myself with an extra hand when physically mounting the unit. I connected the entire coach to the inverter which was a much simpler install and easy to bypass the inverter when it failed, and it very well may fail. My Xantrex failed and was replaced 3 times all before the warranty ran out. When I sold that coach that inverter was not working. Xantrex at one time was the cream of the crop for inverters but then was sold to another company and went downhill fast. Dimension does not make a pure sine wave inverter but Magnum does. I recommend you look into the others before the Xantrex. Just MHO

With that said the installation instructions were easy to follow. Wire and fuse sizes are given. I mounted mine where I had a very short run to the batteries. Make sure, especially with the Xantrex, you supply ample ventilation. Any inverter needs ventilation but that Xantrex needed much more than the Dimensions that came on the Journey seems to need.

One of these days I plan on switching the Dimensions out to a pure sine wave inverter because I have my pc on all of the time and get tired of clocks gaining time. Dimension does not make pure sine wave. I will most likely get a Magnum, which I've heard good reports about.

BTW, I had connected the entire coach because I do a lot of boondocking and wanted all of the receptacles to be available. I have solar panels for charging batteries which are now on the Journey.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Xantrex was bought by Schneider. Xantrex has bought Heart and Trace. I have had good luck with Aims pure sine wave inverters. The new Xantrex Prowatt SW pure sine wave inverters are quite reasonable, but don't have the built in charger or transfer switch.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote