Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2004 35U Adventurer.....Can I turn on my inverter (standard 300 watt from factory) when the generator is running. I'm having an issue with my satelite receiver getting 'confused' when I switch between the two. If I turn the generator off when the inverter is on will this eliminate the power spike I'm experiencing?? Don't want to do any damage to inverter so any suggestion would be appreciated. thanks, Bob
ryansmousehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2004 35U Adventurer.....Can I turn on my inverter (standard 300 watt from factory) when the generator is running. I'm having an issue with my satelite receiver getting 'confused' when I switch between the two. If I turn the generator off when the inverter is on will this eliminate the power spike I'm experiencing?? Don't want to do any damage to inverter so any suggestion would be appreciated. thanks, Bob
Old 01-19-2007, 04:40 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I dont know your answer but I have similar issues...I am watching tv and the batteries start to go low while the inverter is on .....I have my automatic generator switch in the on position...when the batteries go low the gennerator comes on and I have no interuption. then it goes off without interuption. But once I did have a spike and shutdown of the tv. Cannot duplicate this again maybe the ac was on. According to one customer service person at dimensions he told me that the inverter can be left on while the generator starts and stops. I know the ac must be off when the generator shuts down (manually).

Lets see what others say

Also where is your dish wired too...it is 12v correct?

I have an R6 ill check and see where they wired it to.

good luck
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 05:00 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: If your inverter is the same as mine, it has an automatic transfer switch build in. This senses if ac is available (it doesn't matter if it comes from being plugged in or from the generator) and switches the output to that source of power. If the generator shuts off and you are not plugged in, the transfer switch automatically switches to the inverter as long as it is turned on.
Greeting from Jena, Germany. Good luck.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 05:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can I turn on my inverter (standard 300 watt from factory) when the generator is running </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tom

Absolutely you can turn it on ...but as Dick indicates, it won't really come "on" but will go to standby status because the generator is already providing 110v power. Normally the inverter "on" light will blink slowly to indicate stand-by status. When the generator is shut down, it will very rapidly kick in and keep everything going. If you are very observant, you may notice the very quick pulsation of any lights you have on. It will do the same between shore power and inverter. We normally keep our inverter on during the transitions because it keeps the wife happier not to have to reset clocks, etc To my knowledge, we have never had anything damaged by the change-over.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I had a problem with a fried inverter and was told it could of been caused by plugging in to shore power or turning on generator while you have the inverter turned on.....any comments?

I don't appear to have an automatic generator switch ....Just says 'start or stop' Is there a 'secret switch I havn't found'

I have a roof mount dish....receiver plugs into an outlet that receives power when inverter is running. My inverter is a dimension 300 watt (which was standard equipt on 2004's I believe the new models come with a minimum 600 watt)

thanks, bob (2004 35U Adventurer)
Old 01-19-2007, 08:29 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I had a problem with a fried inverter and was told it could of been caused by plugging in to shore power or turning on generator while you have the inverter turned on..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It is not recommended to run both shore power and generator at the same time, but normally the automatic transfer switch will default to one or the other so both are not really "connected" to the electrical system. Mine always chooses generator over shore power. I don't understand how plugging in shore power or turning on the generator while the inverter is on would hurt it ...has not hurt ours! The inverter just go to stand-by mode when the generator starts passing power. Maybe if the transfer switch does not work properly??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't appear to have an automatic generator switch </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I presume you are referring to the auto-start switch another referred to. Very few have that. My guess would be that was an after market add-on or special order. It would be nice to have that sometimes!!
Old 01-19-2007, 11:09 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: In addition to the changeover relay in the inverter there is also a transfer switch for the generator. These are double throw switches which means that they can only connect to either the generator or the plug-in power-- or in case of failure leading to hanging in the middle--nothing. If the changeover switches are working properly there is really no way anything can be damaged by having two sources of power available. One of the two will be selected. The changeover switch for the generator is located in the basement compartment where the cable for shore power goes in our MH.
Greeting from Jena, Germany. Hope this helps.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 03:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dirk Ostermiller:
Hi Ho: In addition to the changeover relay in the inverter there is also a transfer switch for the generator. These are double throw switches which means that they can only connect to either the generator or the plug-in power-- or in case of failure leading to hanging in the middle--nothing. If the changeover switches are working properly there is really no way anything can be damaged by having two sources of power available. One of the two will be selected. The changeover switch for the generator is located in the basement compartment where the cable for shore power goes in our MH.
Greeting from Jena, Germany. Hope this helps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the inverters time delay switching back to the Genny fails during shutdown of the genset the inverters built in transfer switch will flutter as the genny runs down and backfeed into the inverter and then blow the inverters fuses and output section. I have had this failure occur a few times on homemade units while in the design process but not on the one built into the entertainment center of my Adventurer.