Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2019, 10:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Vita 24P

Inverter dead on my shake down cruise

Ok, took my new Winnebago Vita c24p out for a ride to Reno and back and tried to turn on inverter, the light would come on, then the unit started beeping and gave a E03 code. Than it shuts down. I unplugged the output on the GFCI of the unit and tried again, same sequence, powers up, beeps ,throws a code of E03 and shuts down. Anybody experience this? This is a brand new Motorhome just a week in my possession. 12 volts in from battery is solid 12.6 volts. One thing I noticed is that in the service manual the unit is supposed to have a ground from the case to the coach, I do not see it, just the Plus and Minus 12v lines and AC plug on the output. Could this be a problem? E03 says Unit output has sensed an overload or short circuit and was shut down.
lenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Vita 24P

By the way turned on Generator and AC was fine, just cant get the inverter to work.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:44 AM   #3
Site Team

From what you describe, it seems that it is a bad inverter. I believe the ground to body would be accomplished by the grounding prong on the outlet plug. I know that it is time consuming to get this replaced under warranty at the dealership, but perhaps you could get the unit replaced directly by the inverter manufacturer?
Old 11-01-2019, 09:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Assuming you know where the batteries and the inverter are physically, can you trace the cables and verify that the cables between the battery and inverter aren't rubbed bare somewhere, and that the insulation is intact and there's no bare wire touching the body/frame of the chassis or coach? Could be a cable shorting against the frame or compartment wall, or where they enter the compartment that holds the inverter. Failing that, could be the cable to the power center that feeds the coach outlets. Same idea if you can trace that wire looking for bare spots or cuts in the insulation.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:40 AM   #5
Site Team

When you say "12 volts in from battery is solid 12.6 volts" is that with the charger off and or any charge from the alternator is off too.

A low battery will cause the inverter to act like what you are reporting. If 20 mins after disconnecting from shore power and turning off the engine - so no charge is being applied to the battery - the battery reads 12.6 then it's probably the inverter. When being charged or immediately after appling a charge your batteries will read high. But after they sit for a while with no charge being applied they will read the true voltage.

Also, is it possible that you have some significant 110v load in an "on" position and when you start the inverter it's trying to supply that power. I'm thinking an electric water heater, or some other electric load.

Have you checked the inverter manufacturers website to see what and 03 error code is?
Old 11-01-2019, 10:52 AM   #6
Site Team

What brand and model inverter do you have?
Old 11-01-2019, 10:59 AM   #7
Site Team

Nevermind that. I found the info on your Operator's Manual and looked it up on the Magnum website.

03 error is and overload or some kind of short and the inverter shuts down to protect the inverter. So, if an electric water was on that could be an overload. It's only a 1000w inverter so it overloads fairly easily: microwave, coffee maker, hair dryer, etc could overload.

Here is both an image of the Error Codes and a link to the Inverter Manual:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 11.56.47 AM.png
Views:	131
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	172370  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 64-0063 F Owner Manual, CSW 12V Series_0.pdf (1.81 MB, 76 views)
Old 11-01-2019, 06:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Vita 24P

Yup and one review on Amazon for my inverter had same story, failed first time tried to use.
I talked to Winnebago, they are going to try to order one, meantime, I have no refrigerator without shore power or generator, kind of makes it difficult to go any distance without food going bad. I took the thing out of coach after doing diagnostics with manufactor, he said sounds like it is bad. I tested it on my bench with a battery and still does same thing. LA MESA RV couldn't see me until November 17th. So here I sit (grumbling) with brand new Winnebago Vita 24p with no refrigerator while traveling or have full hookups. I hope Winnebago home office comes thru and sends me one. Wow spent big bucks and cant even use my rig except next to my house. Sorry, just a little upset with La Mesa, their service department has been absolutely non customer oriented.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Vita 24P

Thank you I have the info you posted, you are very kind searching that. I have over 50 years of electronics and mechanical experience, So I feel comfortable with the replacement. Oh well at least I can label the cables for future adventures. By the way the batteries were at 12.6 volts with no shore power so they were good to go.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:11 PM   #10
Winnebago Vita 24P

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
When you say "12 volts in from battery is solid 12.6 volts" is that with the charger off and or any charge from the alternator is off too.

A low battery will cause the inverter to act like what you are reporting. If 20 mins after disconnecting from shore power and turning off the engine - so no charge is being applied to the battery - the battery reads 12.6 then it's probably the inverter. When being charged or immediately after appling a charge your batteries will read high. But after they sit for a while with no charge being applied they will read the true voltage.

Also, is it possible that you have some significant 110v load in an "on" position and when you start the inverter it's trying to supply that power. I'm thinking an electric water heater, or some other electric load.

Have you checked the inverter manufacturers website to see what and 03 error code is?
The only load I had on was the refrigerator which has been cycling with shore power.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:06 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenore View Post
Ok, took my new Winnebago Vita c24p out for a ride to Reno and back and tried to turn on inverter, the light would come on, then the unit started beeping and gave a E03 code. Than it shuts down. I unplugged the output on the GFCI of the unit and tried again, same sequence, powers up, beeps ,throws a code of E03 and shuts down. Anybody experience this? This is a brand new Motorhome just a week in my possession. 12 volts in from battery is solid 12.6 volts. One thing I noticed is that in the service manual the unit is supposed to have a ground from the case to the coach, I do not see it, just the Plus and Minus 12v lines and AC plug on the output. Could this be a problem? E03 says Unit output has sensed an overload or short circuit and was shut down.
I’d go straight back to the dealership, it’s brand new, it must some sort of warranty. My experience with electronics is that they break down either soon or never, there’s probably a circuit board in there that just doesn’t want to work. Your dealer should be glad to fix it as quickly as he can.
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:11 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenore View Post
Yup and one review on Amazon for my inverter had same story, failed first time tried to use.
I talked to Winnebago, they are going to try to order one, meantime, I have no refrigerator without shore power or generator, kind of makes it difficult to go any distance without food going bad. I took the thing out of coach after doing diagnostics with manufactor, he said sounds like it is bad. I tested it on my bench with a battery and still does same thing. LA MESA RV couldn't see me until November 17th. So here I sit (grumbling) with brand new Winnebago Vita 24p with no refrigerator while traveling or have full hookups. I hope Winnebago home office comes thru and sends me one. Wow spent big bucks and cant even use my rig except next to my house. Sorry, just a little upset with La Mesa, their service department has been absolutely non customer oriented.
Sounds like you’ve got it on the run, hopefully Winnebago will come through quickly. I’m beginning to think that when buying a new camper the first step should be to research dealership reputations.
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:37 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyScott View Post
Your dealer should be glad to fix it as quickly as he can.
Yes, you'd think so. But unfortunately no. Warranty work? Go to the end of the line. See you in 4-weeks, maybe.

WBGO set's the hourly rate and the amount they'll pay for each repair. The dealer can make more money from others that walk in the door. Plus each dealer probably sells 6 different brands. It's not like they're afraid WBGO will punish them or anything.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:26 PM   #14
Winnebago Vita 24P

Ok the call to Winnebago home office was successful, They first told me inverters were on backorder, and then no info. Today all of a sudden I get a email saying the inverter was shipped, than it shows up on my doorstep.....I just finished installing and of course fix all of the manufacturer wiring mess. Now everything is easy to find and the inverter instead of being half under the drawers that have to be removed for service is now completely under the bottom of the under sink cabinet, which is where it was partly before. Also I positioned it so that the display can be read without tearing it out of its mount. Why cant they do things like that.? Yea it works, and that is good, now to try and trouble shoot the Refrigerator which is dead. Probably a start relay or compressor. I ordered a compressor saver from Amazon and will give it a shot. I just learned about those last summer when I put one on my Home Air conditioning and reduced start up times and current draw on startup. I was told I would have to replace the outside AC unit, but no $25 and a compressor saver made it work all summer without a hitch.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:12 PM   #15
Winnebago Vita 24P

Compressor saved made refrigerator work. But to not void warranty I ordered start relay and overload protector. The overload protector was the culprit. I also made an access panel to back of refrigerator so it would not have to be removed. Testing my fix to see how long it last. These 110volt home refrigerators are nice, but not sure how it will perform with inverter, solar, etc.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:22 AM   #16
Winnebago Vita 24P

Ok follow up, We did a trial trip at a Thousand Trails, and everything worked perfect. Yup I am the man, fixed the inverter and refrigerator. Cancelled my appoint with La Mesa and rescheduled in January in case problems pop up. At least I have an access panel for the refrigerator. Now on to more mods...Put temp gauges in Freezer and refrigerator. Both registered perfect ie 38 in frig, and 10 in freezer. Good enough.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:26 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Hey Lenore. Could you send a link to the compressor saver you bought on Amazon? Took delivery on our Porto 24p yesterday and already having refrigerator problem. Thanks!
Old 08-02-2020, 09:03 AM   #18
Winnebago Vita 24P

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008YDSH6E...roduct_details

However the thermal overload fuse was blown on refrigerator.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:04 AM   #19
Winnebago Vita 24P

What kind of issues with refrigerator.?
Old 08-02-2020, 11:47 AM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the link. The fridge only works off of the generator or when the engine is running. We had additional solar panels added before we took delivery. Inverter doesn’t have any error codes. We’re RV newbies so appreciate the help!

Tags
inverter