Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2019, 03:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Inverter/Charger Unit

I read in our 2009 Journey manuel when you're not using the inverter to turn it off at the control panel because it will drain the house batteries, so I have. I've got the coach plug into my 110 shoreline dedicated circuit using a 50 amp to 110 amp pigtail.
Question: With the coach plugged in to shoreline 110 amp, should I turn off both auxiliary battery switches and turn the inverter to the off position on the control panel to keep the house batteries charged?
I am using a trickle charger for the two engine batteries.
kimenker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:02 PM   #2
Site Team

110 AMP???

Do you mean 110v 15 amp home receptical? And by Shoreline do you mean that you are plugged into “shore power”?

Assuming that’s what you mean I’d keep the power cutoffs ON and the inverter OFF. The charger in your inverter will charge the house batteries. I’m not sure about 2009 Journeys, but later model WBGO Class A inverters automatically charge the batteries whenever shore power or generator power is available.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
110 AMP???

Do you mean 110v 15 amp home receptacle? And by Shoreline do you mean that you are plugged into “shore power”?

Assuming that’s what you mean I’d keep the power cutoffs ON and the inverter OFF. The charger in your inverter will charge the house batteries. I’m not sure about 2009 Journeys, but later model WBGO Class A inverters automatically charge the batteries whenever shore power or generator power is available.
Yes & Yes; I don't know why I said 120 amp I did mean 120 volt on a 20 amp dedicated breaker and yes plugged into the house.
Ok so the power cutoffs are the two switches on the coach, one for the engine and the other for the coach. Keep them on, ok!
Thank you for your reply and help. I'm new to this and can use all I can get.
kimenker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimenker View Post
Yes & Yes; I don't know why I said 120 amp I did mean 120 volt on a 20 amp dedicated breaker and yes plugged into the house.
Ok so the power cutoffs are the two switches on the coach, one for the engine and the other for the coach. Keep them on, ok!
Thank you for your reply and help. I'm new to this and can use all I can get.
The question is answered with a YES. Keep the batteries on so that the inverter can maintain them. The inverter will discharge the batteries if left on in storage and you loose power. If you have this as a temporary setup and you have food in the fridge it is a good idea to keep the inverter on. The inverter will supply power to the fridge. If you loose it, the 12V source will activate. Set the generator to auto start, if you have that option, only if this is a short term storage situation, like a month or so. Be certain to set the inverter, if you can, to a lower charging rate. The AC draw can be adjusted on some and must be set to under 20A so as not to trip the breaker if the inverter thinks it needs to do a heavy charge cycle. These things are somewhat smart but 120V is 120V to them. 30A or 20A is not considered. Hope I have explained this clear enough for you. Happy trails.

Rick Y
Old 01-28-2019, 09:13 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Ok so the power cutoffs are the two switches on the coach, one for the engine and the other for the coach.
Well, again I don’t have firsthand experience with your Journey, but, in general the two power switches - found normally in the stairwell - are for 12v power and 110v AC power.[Edit.... Oops that’s wrong. It is Coach and Chassis switches, not what I said previously. My bad!]

I don’t believe that there is a switch to disconnect the chassis battery. That’s not really something you would ever do.

A diesel motorhome is pretty complex. Didn’t yours come with a briefcase full of instructions? If no one walked you through the operation of everything the least you should do is study the contents of those manuals.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for your reply jerichorick, I've reduced the voltage at the control panel to 20 amps, left the inverter on, and both batteries switches in the stairway to on. thanks again, Jack Kimenker
Old 01-29-2019, 07:55 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thank you for your reply jerichorick, I've reduced the voltage at the control panel to 20 amps, left the inverter on, and both batteries switches in the stairway to on. thanks again, Jack Kimenker
Your welcome and Happy trails.

Rick Y
Old 02-04-2019, 04:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My,new to me, 2010 Journey 34Y has both disconnect switches in the stairwell. One for "coach" and one for "chassis". The engine will not start, if the chassis switch is off.

To the OP: An inverter changes 12 volts to 110 volts AC. A Converter changes 110 volts AC to 12 volts DC. Does your RV do both in one unit? Your manuals will tell. Your coach will have both units, but the converter usually does not have an on-off switch. It charges the coach batteries whenever you're plugged into AC on the "shoreline".
Old 02-04-2019, 08:05 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

well just for help!! if you don't plan to use m/h for a while I would turn off the engine switch as it will slowly drain your battery so do use the engine switch!!
htbotdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:04 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

A Journey has easily accessible batteries and if you're going to let it sit, just disconnect the battery negatives after they are fully charged. They'll be fine for 6 or more months even in cold weather (but maybe not brutally cold weather and unless they're old and going bad anyway) and then you just reconnect them to recharge just before you plan on driving. Only takes an hour to be on the road. I did that for a couple winters in Fairbanks, AK, -40F was often the high temp for the day.

But...if you want to keep the refer running, then leaving the batt switches on, and the inverter off is the way to go.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:49 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

The Dimensions Inverter/Charge in your 09 Journey does not need to be turned off normally. If connected to shore power, the inverter has a transfer switch which bypasses the inverter feeding the outlets connected to it directly from shorepower. When connected to shorepower, the Dimensions unit - like most modern inverter chargers - charges the house batteries. The house batteries will not charge if the disconnect switch at the front is turned off - it must be on. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:00 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by htbotdvr View Post
well just for help!! if you don't plan to use m/h for a while I would turn off the engine switch as it will slowly drain your battery so do use the engine switch!!
Yeah but he’s plugged in.. I have chassis and house 12v switches as well but the chassis is never Off because because both the engine and transmission CPU’s get to know your driving idiosyncrasies, and if you lose power, everything is reset and has to “learn” you all over again; just like a car. THIS is exactly why I started adding solar to the coach: To keep the chassis batteries charged at all times. Also note that On or Off, the inverter draws (idle) current, and will over a couple of weeks, kill the house battries. Even though I have 1/2kw solar on the roof now, when the coach is in storage, the HOUSE batteries are off.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter