Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Inverter/Charger over charging

The 2000 watt Dimensions Inverter/Charger on my 06 Journey is showing an error message indicating that the charger is shutting down because it is over charging the batteries. This happens on both shore power as well as on Genset. Any ideas on what might be causing this?
Old 12-05-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

You are lucky it shut down. Ours fried several batteries before it burned itself out. Everyone told us to change it out for a pure sine but we had it rebuilt 2 years ago and haven't had anymore problems. There is a setting on the charger for diff types of batteries, you may want to check that your setting wasn't changed, bumped or what ever. Good Luck
Old 12-06-2010, 07:34 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcous View Post
The 2000 watt Dimensions Inverter/Charger on my 06 Journey is showing an error message indicating that the charger is shutting down because it is over charging the batteries. This happens on both shore power as well as on Genset. Any ideas on what might be causing this?
Mine did that when my batteries were going bad.
bsedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

A bad battery or a shorted cell can cause it to over charge. The first thing I would do is test each battery to make sure they are good.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

You can test or have them tested individually once you unbolt the harnesses. I totally agree with Norm4015 and bsedor that a good starting place to check is a bad battery or two in the mix. Based upon your signature it appears they are approx 5 yrs old give or take a little - that is just about the average life expectancy. If one or two test bad do not be tempted to simply replace those - replace them all.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Inverter/Charger overcharging

The batteries were replaced just before the inverter started acting up.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

FYI for all those who gave input, it turned out to be a bad control board for the charger.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Mine (on a Journey 34Y 2009) just started with Charger off Batt High Temp. Checked and the batteries are stone cold. I'm betting the inverter/charger is bad.

I'm pretty convinced the Dimensions inverters/chargers aren't good more more than very light and occassional use (even even say so in the op manual). If the inverter has gone south then I'll swap it out for something worthwhile having.
maybesoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
You can test or have them tested individually once you unbolt the harnesses. I totally agree with Norm4015 and bsedor that a good starting place to check is a bad battery or two in the mix. Based upon your signature it appears they are approx 5 yrs old give or take a little - that is just about the average life expectancy. If one or two test bad do not be tempted to simply replace those - replace them all.
That is very good advice and stay away from the Napa group 27s they typically put in and get some deep discharge batteries.
maybesoon is offline   Reply With Quote