Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2021, 06:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Inverter/charger

I have a 2005 Vectra with a 2000w Magnum modified sine wave. I want to upgrade to a pure sine wave inverter. My electrical ability is almost limited to flipping a switch. I would really appreciate any advise on which unit to have installed? Thanks
Dwmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:55 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Magnum is a premium brand and they also make a nice pure sine wave inverter for $650. See https://www.amazon.com/Magnum-CSW201...2318536&sr=8-2

Replacing your existing MSW inverter with this one should be almost a drop in swap out. The wiring should be nearly identical.

But there also are cheaper, lots cheaper no name inverters. Search Amazon to find them. Here is one from Renogy, a well known but not a premium brand. This is what I would use. See https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Invert...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

David
Old 09-22-2021, 08:09 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Just fyi, I don't think the inverter/chargers listed in the previous posting will work for your coach--you need an inverter/charger with a built-in transfer switch.

This Magnum 2000W Inverter, for example, would be a better choice and would presumably be an easy swap for your current Magnum MSW one.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwmooney View Post
I have a 2005 Vectra with a 2000w Magnum modified sine wave. I want to upgrade to a pure sine wave inverter. My electrical ability is almost limited to flipping a switch. I would really appreciate any advise on which unit to have installed? Thanks
Our Xantrex XC2000 has been bulletproof. $700. 3000w surge, programmable charger, and power balancing. Only problem is Bluetooth connection looses pairing when phone goes out of range and won’t re-pair automatically.
Old 09-22-2021, 01:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I missed the title of this thread "inverter/charger" on my earlier post. Do you need a combination inverter and charger? If so replace what you have with a Renogy, ProSine or Magnum pure sine wave inverter/charger combination as noted in the subsequent posts.

David
Old 09-22-2021, 04:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all for the info. I think I’ll go with the Magnum.
Dwmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:01 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Our factory Magnum in our 04 Journey bit the dust a few years ago. I called Magnum andbought a pure sine way unit that was a direct replacement, easy to install and works with the exiting control panel on the info center. It has been working flawlessly. Others have used other brands, but yes, you do need one that will work with the transfer switch.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Hey Barry,
How ya doin' Partner? Just wondering. You state your "Factory" Magnum gave out a while ago, on you '04 Journey, correct? The reason I ask about this is, just about every single Winne and Itasca of yours and our era, and even a few years later, all used Dimensions Inverter/Chargers from the factory. This is the first I've seen or red on anything other than a Dimensions unit in that era.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks all for the info. I think I’ll go with the Magnum.
DW,
If you presently have a Magnum unit that is a MSW, replacing it with a Magnum PSW is a no brainer. The PSW unit will fit in the same mounting space, using the same holes. The wiring will be the exact same. The main difference will be that the electricity produced will be of course, pure sign wave. All else is the same, including the remote.
Scott
Old 09-27-2021, 04:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I had a '05 Vectra and did the upgrade. It is a physical challenge because of weight. Magnum is the best choice (IMHO) but customer support can be a bit tough since they were bought out several years ago.
Things to know: Turn the inverter off and the charger. Disconnect the ground from the battery bank before you work on the system. Remove shore power. When you connect the new inverter to the battery bank it will give a healthy spark. This is normal.
I bought mine from these fine folks: https://www.donrowe.com/Magnum-Energy-s/1821.htm
Give them a call and let them guide you to the correct model inverter for your needs.
Where you only have 2 batteries it is not piratical to go with anything bigger than the 2000W inverter.
Upgrading to the PSW inverter will greatly improve the function of your convection oven for on thing and any other motor driven devices like a pancake compressor for maintaining your tire pressure correctly.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:24 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Scott, I was rushed when I replied about the inverter. I DID have the Dimensions MSW factory installed unit and replaced it with a Dimensions PSW unit. Thanks for pointing that out. Plz read my post on the CAT forum about a possible starter replacement.

Barry
Old 09-28-2021, 02:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorguy View Post
Scott, I was rushed when I replied about the inverter. I DID have the Dimensions MSW factory installed unit and replaced it with a Dimensions PSW unit. Thanks for pointing that out. Plz read my post on the CAT forum about a possible starter replacement.

Barry
Hey Barry,
Well, I checked out your CAT starter thread and answered it. But, I do have to applaud the thought of carrying a spare. There are one or two CAT qualified people on the forums that more than likely could give way more accurate info on the potential for a C-7 starter flameout, and what possible mileage something like this might happen.
Scott

Tags
inverter