Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-22-2019, 04:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Inverter beeping sound

We were awakened at midnight by a beeping sound, but the source was difficult to fin in our 2018 Navion 24D. It went off when I turned the inverter off. We are camped with 30 amp shore power and all systems are working normally. Since the noise stopped when I turned off the inverter (yes, I turned it back on and the beeping started again...) we went back to bed. In the morning I turned the inverter back on ready for a day if troubleshooting, but there was no more beeping sound. Strangeness. Any ideas about what the beeping might have been?
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

If it was an inverter fault, there should be a fault code. Check it and go from there. Most common causes heat, voltage high/low, ??? Look in the "black bag" of manuals, or download the CSW1012 Inverter OM. The fault codes are there.
If you have an EMS between the power pedestal and your rig, it may also give you an error code and a clue.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Winterbagoal; I did check the user manual, but since it isn’t beeping now there are no error codes. It wasn’t the EMS as the beeping stopped when the Inverter was turned off. I am just wondering which of the error events would have a beeping sound. Puzzling since the error codes in the book have to do with high or low voltage (batteries were fine) and current draw (nothing on but the small space heater and the fridge - both things we’ve been using for months now).
Old 11-22-2019, 09:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Vita 24P

Have you looked at the display on the inverter? Mine had a E303. The beeping started when the inverter was turned on and quit when it turned itself off. By the way the inverter was bad. With the load unplugged it was still giving the code and would turn off after about 1 and a half minutes. Had to replace the inverter and all is well (knock on wood) so far.
lenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I've already changed out the original factory NAPA 8240 FLA dual purpose batteries for a couple of Relion 12V 100Ah low temp capable batteries. The factory installs were OK for basic power demands, but I was finding them to be in adequate for running the fridge overnight.
My guess would have been something causing the batteries to drop below the 10.5V threshold for an inverter low battery warning, but based on what you see, that seems unlikely.
Wait for the next occurrence and take it from there.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:45 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Ok; it happened again; same time - midnight- turned off inverter, beeping stopped. Turned back on this AM, and it was beeping. Went outside and saw error code “E05” for the unit sensing a low voltage input (11.2V). That is so odd as the voltage readout from the control station shows house battery voltage at 13.2V. It has been plugged into shore power constantly for days now so there should be battery charging all the time. ON THE OTHER HAND, the Zamp solar charge controller indicated the voltage was 11.5V and battery condition was at the low end (mine has four options for battery condition, and it was at the 4th [lowest] place). Now that the sun is up it shows the battery at 11.9 V and the battery condition is at the 3rd place. Shore power EMS shows 13Amps, 119V, and no errors. This is very confusing to me; one clue is that I usually have a chassis trickle charger plugged into the power outlet on the inverter (have done so for a year now); when the inverter is off, the trickle charger is off; plugging the trickle charger into one of the other power outlets near the inverter (ostensibly a “house” power outlet), the trickle charger gets power even when the inverter is off (so THAT may be the power draw on the batteries). Another clue is we normally don’t get the microwave to power up unless we have both the generator on and the inverter on, or we have shore power. In all of the issues with inverter on/off, the microwave has remained powered up from the shore power connection. Right now I can manage just fine by not plugging the trickle charger into the inverter power outlet and leaving the inverter off. My next check will be battery water level (which I checked and “topped off” the cells with distilled water 2 months ago). So I’m left with these questions:
How could the house battery monitor show 13.3 V but the Zamp solar readout show 11.8 Volts on the same battery?
Why isn’t the shore power keeping the batteries charged up (possibly a converter issue?)
Old 11-23-2019, 10:04 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Sounds plausible. I'm not an expert on the converter/charger function and whether it might be something simple like a fuse or breaker tripped that's preventing the charge to reach the batteries. I'd guess the Zamp CC is probably reading right.
Is there some event that happens in the campground near midnight that would temprarily drop the shore power to your pedestal? Some sort of grid reset or other? That might explain the timing.
Also, you should have 2 X 100W panels? That should be hitting your batteries with at least 5A-10A in good sun. Has it been cloudy or are you partially shaded where you are?
Lastly, the batteries (NAPA 8240 dual purpose?) could be shot, or nearly done. That might be another place to look. Figure out their true condition.

I'd start troubleshooting with the batteries and the converter/charger.

I added a PD Charge Wizard pendant to mine so I could occasionally override the automatic charge algorithm to boost or bulk if it was just idling. It also tells me what charge stage it's in by the flashing light rate/speed. Best little toy I've added to my setup since new. The LiFePO4 batteries are pretty nice, too.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:18 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I'd suggest cleaning both ends of the cables that connect between battery and inverter. It could be something as simple as a bad connection due to a bit of corrosion.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

With my 2019 VD, I do not turn on the inverter when using generator or shore power. Both deliver 120vac directly to microwave and outlets. The inverter inverts dc to ac and is only needed when wanting to use ac devices off the batteries (dc). Mine will beep when the battery voltage is around 11.9 vdc while under load (usually my 800 watt ac coffee maker). The microwave will only work with shore power or generator and then the inverter is off
Markap6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:19 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Yes, if running the generator or shore there is no need for inverter power unless...and it happens...you are running a sat receiver and the tv. Most of the time the sat receivers are very sensitive to voltage fluctuations and burps in shore power. In a prior rig we had the inverter on most of the time just for that reason in some camps with power fluctuations.

Now in the View the microwave is in no way connected to the output of the inverter - not enough juice there to run it and it is not wired to run it.

Several things are happening but the most likely culprit or root cause is the factory coach batteries. Mine were toast within two months and the converter also died. I would trust the solar display to show the voltage more than the one place panel - known to need a reset on the one place from time to time. The best way to know is a DVM, meter. Unplug from shore and with the generator off measure at the batteries.

Guess from reading the posts that the coach batteries are not being charged or are just dead from abuse. If they are reading low voltage with a meter and you have been plugged into shore that means the converter is toast. Plugged into shore with a working converter, PD9245, you should measure at least 13.2 - 13.6vdc which would indicate the converter is in maintenance mode and the battery resistance to charge is high enough to indicate a near full charge. Normally you would know quickly is a battery has an internal short from the smell and smoke but a battery may be simply to damaged to take a charge.

As noted check all connections, clean and tight. Then keep in mind what folks are saying about the batteries - not adequate. Possibilities could include a bad converter/charger, a bad inverter and dead or damaged batteries.

The remote pendant is very helpful for the converter as well. You can force it into bulk charge - they call it some silly name but BULK is what it is. They are really inexpensive and worth the change, look online at the biggest Amazing place.

Remember also that even though the PD9245 converter is 45 amp rated you will never see a 45 amp charge output to the batteries, max is around 10 amps, drops low to finish the charge at high voltage around 14.4, then drops into maintenance at very low amps and 13.2VDC - if it is working and the batteries are good. If the batteries are very low and the converter is actually working it will take about two days to get them back to near full charge depending. There is a breaker for the converter on the front of the distribution panel, AC side. Make sure it is not tripped.

My charger for the Battle Born LiFeP04 will indeed dump 45 amps out and recharge them really fast, usually about 30 minutes or less after an overnight run boondocked. When the BMS shuts down at full charge the charger has 0 amps output - current not flowing.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter