Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2005, 05:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have 03 Journey DL. The inverter has a off on switch on it , what is it for? When I plug into shore power the inverter fan comes on and when I look at the controll panel inside all is OK whether the switch is off or on. Any thoughts?

2003 36' Journey DL
jmccrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have 03 Journey DL. The inverter has a off on switch on it , what is it for? When I plug into shore power the inverter fan comes on and when I look at the controll panel inside all is OK whether the switch is off or on. Any thoughts?

2003 36' Journey DL
Old 04-25-2005, 06:03 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

When you're not hooked up to shore power, you can turn the inverter on or off.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

When not on shore power and the inverter is on it is supplying 115V to various items in your coach sitting still and traveling. Off you don't have 115V when not on shore power. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:24 AM   #5

You should read your owners manual or go to Xantrex web site and look up Freedom 1500 Combo Inverter/Charger.

The switch on the Inverter/charger is so you can control it with from the remote panel inside your coach. Also, when the switch is off, the manual says, " to set the Inverter in the stand-by mode". When you do that, if the main power to the coach is disrupted, the Inverter will take over as long as your batteries are charged. Some folks prefer to leave the Inverter off until they need it, when the "stand-by mode is off" and power is disrupted, your system is dead.

While in Texas this past winter, we experienced a power outage on Mustang Island Port Aransas, my Freedom 1500 was set according to the manual, in stand-by. When power went out, my TRCI Surge Guard shut down the main in coming line, the Inverter switched to Inverter and for some strange reason shorted itself out. In essence, it failed. Some where along the way, the electronically controlled transfer switch inside the Inverter decided to fail, shutting down the Inverter mode.
"Boy was it dark"

For those of you who have the Heart/Xantrex Freedom 1500 Inverter/Charger,
be fore-warned, "Winnebago does not stock this unit any longer". Xantrex is the only place to get this repaired or replaced. At this time, I'm still waiting for Xantrex Customer Service to process our Warranty Claim, as the unit has a 30 month warranty. With the help of Jim Banther, Sales manager in Elkhart, IN and Nick Klein in Customer Service in Washington, we were shipped a factory re-furbished unit with a few days. The hardest part of the ordeal was finding a qualified dealer who knew how to change the unit out. This particular unit comes with 9ft cables that have to go back to the batteries. From all indications, we had to use the unit as it was sent, which created a big question; how do we get the cables across the inside and out side and under the coach?

Come to find out after the job was done, these cables can be cut at the back of the unit and splices can be made. Had we known this in the begining it would have saved 6 hours labor.

{ The new Inverter/Chargers now have cable lugs on them, so they can be installed faster or changed out quickly.} after the fact!

At this date, it is still unknown what caused the failure with-in the Inverter, but I can assure you this, Xantrex was looking for a way out of covering it under warranty. Had I not had my electrical system protected with the Surge Guard, it could have cost us more then $2,200 for a problem that we had no control over.

In closing, read and understand your owners manual and most importantly never connect to any shore power without a surge protection device in line.

Tomcat F15
Old 04-26-2005, 05:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thankyou all. Tomcat sometimes reading the manual is not clear. Having someone like yourself explain helps a lot .. Thanks

2003 36' Journey DL
Old 04-27-2005, 07:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

When I took delivery of my 03 Horizon (same as Journey DL) my dealer told me the inverter was wired to the transfer switch and that the on off switch of the inverter had been disconnected and rendered useless by the factory. The inverter operations are thus automatic, with no operator control at the inverter, only from the opational panel in the coach. Hope this helps.
Ace
d.duin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 01:44 PM   #8

duin,

Thats mighty strange , maybe you should call the Factories, Winnebago and Zantrex and see what they have to say about that. It's one thing for Winnebago do something like that and it's totally something else when a dealer does that. Is the dealer going to warranty the $2200 inverter if something goes wrong? Zantrex is very sticky about what they'll warranty. You better have your in-coming power protected, if you don't and your Inverter takes a cr___, Zantrex can tell what happend, and it may not be covered. Then you have to bite the bullet all by your self.

Duin,
your the first person to ever mention what your dealer did. Please let us know what your Dealer,Winnebago and Zantrex has to say.

Tomcat F15
"Finger point Class 101 just began."
Old 04-27-2005, 02:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Interesting... I do not see a change when I have the switch on or off. The panel reads the same. And the fan on the inverter is always on

2003 36' Journey DL
Old 04-28-2005, 09:57 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Tomcat, the dealer didn't make the change, Winnebago did. The dealer just informed me that the switch on the inverter was not wired in the system, it was instead wired to the control panel in the coach and the switch on the inverter itself was always dead.
Ace
d.duin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 11:53 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

One other thing to keep in mind is that if the inverter is on it is using battery power even if you have no 115V draw. It uses some power in the "idle" mode. I keep mine off until I actually need it.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:09 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

OK guys, I just when out and done a little testing. To my disbelief the position of the on/off switch on the inverter had no affect on the operation. As per the manual with the switch on I expected the inverter to come on when shore power was removed, not so. I did all of the settings with the remote and shore power on and off and there was no change with the switch on or off.
The fan is controled by a thermostat and I find there is enought heat generated by the exhaust muffler to cause it to come on. The inverter was moved in 04 to help get it away from the heat.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote