Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Electricity consumption is expressed in unit x time. KWh or watt hours or amp hours

Batteries typically specify they can supply X amps for Y hours Which is amp hours.

A load on your batteries of 125 amps for 5 minutes DOES INDEED SUCK 125 amps out of your batteries.

Since 5 minutes is approximately 0.83 hours

125 x 0.83 = 10.375 amp hours

I suppose it was because you expressed your units of measurement incorrectly, it was throwing
everyone off. :-)
Sorry but you left out a zero just to the left of the decimal point. You used the correct number when you did the math as the result is rounded down from dropping the infinite 3's right of the first one.

5 minutes is 0.083333 hours

The formula is 125 x 0.083333 = 10.41667 amp hours.

Still a lot of bother, expense and technology to make a cup of morning coffee. I guess we can make it more complicated then putting a man on the moon if we try hard enough.

You should see the reaction I get at work taking a minute to pour some hot water, from the hot water dispensor that I brought from the break room in a thermal mug to my desk, into a pour over filled with an organic Coffee Cubano. I should charge them for inhaling as most seem to enjoy that more than drinking the coffee they purchased from the k-cup machine. Sometime I get reminded by coworkers that I short changed them if I get caught up in work and forget or delay in making my morning cup.

I am kind of a rabble rouser as personal coffee makers are not allowed in the building where I work yet the pour over and french presses since they do not have to be plugged in and work with the water from the near the boiling point water tap that the company provided for making tea and instant soups/beverages are allowed although sometimes begrudgingly.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

If you don't get an up grade with your converter you can always use the old percolator that you use on the stove top

Just a thought..
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:14 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

I like the idea of just using the propane to boil the water. However, if he has two batteries, I really think it would be fine. He only wants to make a couple of cups in the morning. Gee guys, I used my two batteries in my boat for 5 or 6 hours trolling all over the place. Yes, they only last two or three years but I recharged them every night. It sounds, like he is only going to use them for a couple of minutes each morning; not all day. Let him buy a 1,500 to 2,000 watt inverter and make his coffee. I am sure he would make one for you too!! Use one of the "one at a time" Kuerig makers (with "okay" coffee) that runs for only 45 seconds per cup. Will this work??
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:03 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

In all of this the point can not be lost. No matter how much or little amp draw you take from the battery bank, if your inverter is not minimum rated for the load it is feeding smoke will soon follow. My coach has 6 AGM batteries and a 2800W inverter. I pulled 140A for 2 hrs cooking a turkey breast. Four hours later, in normal coach usage, the generator fired up to replenish the bank. Reserve has little to do with needed instantaneous and working current.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:16 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
if your inverter is not minimum rated for the load it is feeding smoke will soon follow.
That's the problem with those inverters (and capacitors, IC chips etc.), they never put enough smoke in them. As soon as just a little bit of smoke gets out, they stop working.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:14 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
That's the problem with those inverters (and capacitors, IC chips etc.), they never put enough smoke in them. As soon as just a little bit of smoke gets out, they stop working.
Now if we could just find a way to pressure treat them with smoke to get it back inside them so they will start working again. ;>

When the caps blow it can be quiite dramatic too. The gunshot sound effect they sometimes make can end up being a better waker upper than the morning Java.

There is always a more complicated Rube Goldberg method to attack the simplest of problems.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:43 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
You are "PushedAround" I see. Smoke is good for ham, turkey, bacon and salmon. But IC's and caps? No improvement in flavor and ground they make lousy coffee.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:15 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Sir:

After trying a coffee brewer which took up too much of the limited counter space and then a coffee press which was always a mess getting rid of the coffee grounds I finally tried the perfect solution...

INSTANT COFFEE.....

After you get used to the taste it is not that bad!!! No big machine to contend with no grounds to dispose of etc..

Mark
malk415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:05 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by malk415 View Post
Sir:

After trying a coffee brewer which took up too much of the limited counter space and then a coffee press which was always a mess getting rid of the coffee grounds I finally tried the perfect solution...

INSTANT COFFEE.....

After you get used to the taste it is not that bad!!! No big machine to contend with no grounds to dispose of etc..

Mark
instant coffee !!!!! eeek tastes like dishwater to me - but all tate buds are different
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #30

OMG!

I haven't used instant coffee in about 50 years. My mother would drink it so I tried one cup one day while visiting her and threw up all over the floor.

I would travel 20 miles to and 20 miles back from a Coffee Cafe for my cup of java before using instant coffee.

Thanks but NO THANKS!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:18 AM   #31
Winnebago Master

Instant? Just put a scoop of dirt in an old sock, dunk it a few times in a cup of hot water and get it over with.

Someone did say instant right? If your wife slips you a cup of instant is that grounds for divorce? Or is that lack of grounds being grou...
Old 01-04-2014, 02:39 AM   #32

As was stated and stated in proir posts. For My numbers I ues. 1500 watts + 15 amps on 110 AC and that would be 150 amps on 12 volts DC. . Remember there are 4 different Power ratings , Actual Power, True Power. Useable Power, and applied power. The biggest thief is the inverter. With it's internal resistance. Don't forget 360 Deg. is the full sweep X .707. - loss of inversion. your wall plug may pull 15 amps ac while your inverter may well be seeing over wellover 150 amps. We have 5 Batteries and the coffee and micro wave used in unison when making breakfast will draw them down to 11 volts. and lights start flashing. Our inverter is 2000. watt... Inverter is good when used in combination with common sense. Life is good.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:08 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

The question is: "Is a good cup of coffee worth a $5K+ upgrade?" I say run the generator or trade the coach for a live-in one over a camp-in one. You and your coach are a mismatch. Divorce the coach. Keep the wife.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:59 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
The question is: "Is a good cup of coffee worth a $5K+ upgrade?" I say run the generator or trade the coach for a live-in one over a camp-in one. You and your coach are a mismatch. Divorce the coach. Keep the wife.
Can't see investing in a $2,000 solution to a $5 to $50 problem either but I am cheap. Personally I have a 800 watt Xantarex inverter that I got on clearance for less than $50 that is enough to run my coffee grinder or I just grind the beans when I have the genny running and make the coffee using the stove in the morning or any other time I please. I get to enjoy my coffee three times that way. Once when grinding the beans, again while brewing it and yet again when pour it and then extracate it from my cup.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:19 AM   #35
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvanderstoep View Post
Pros and cons of a more powerful inverter for my '13 View? How much hassle to exchange? I'd like to make a cup of Keurig coffee in the morning without starting the generator
RV lifestyle is not about just living as cheaply as you can..... It's doing things "your way" and enjoying yourself !

It's only money . . . . Sure upgrade the inverter to a 1500-2000 watt unit and enjoy !
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter