Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Inverter

I have a 2011 Sunstar 35.
I do not seem to know how to use the inverter. I click on and it lets the TV come on but no microwave and no electric blanket. (brrr)
Any help???
Wintertrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

The inverter is only wired to certain circuits. In your case sounds like only the tv
Mike H 2002 Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm not familiar with your particular coach, but inverters are usually only wired to power selected devices/outlets. You really don't want to be running your microwave oven or electric blanket off of your batteries. They would be drained very quickly. Only certain outlets are wired to the inverter and your manual should show your which.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

As others have said, your inverter is likely only sized and wired to operate the AV equipment.

That said, I have a large inverter wired to operate the whole coach. One must pf course manage what is used so as to not quickly deplete the battery bank. More often used, I also have smaller point of use inverters, one being for the AV equipment.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:29 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintertrip View Post
I do not seem to know how to use the inverter. I click on and it lets the TV come on but no microwave and no electric blanket. (brrr)
Any help???
most 110v electric blanket controls will not work on modified sine wave inverter power.
my inverter is wired to power only the entertainment systems in front and the bedroom.
i bought a 12v mattress heater pad from backwoods solar several years ago. it still works very well. my pad is queen sized with 2 controls.
i see that they only offer twin sized pads now.
i guess you could put 1 in the middle or buy 2 of them for a larger bed.

Backwoods Solar - 12V Bedwarmer - Twin size - Small DC Appliances - Off Grid Home Goods - Products Backwoods Solar
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:37 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Our 2000 DSDP we only ordered with a 400 watt inverter as we didn't think we'd need much since we didn't WallyDock.
Found out differently and had CW install a 2,500 watt inverter. They wired it to power everything, including both heat pumps at the same time! Was going to add a secondary circuit and split loads like it should have been done but ordered the present 2002 first.
On the 2002 everything is powered except the refer and heat pumps. All the plugs work too as well as the microwave.
What an inverter powers is up to the manufacturer of your rig.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
most 110v electric blanket controls will not work on modified sine wave inverter power.
True!
Lloyd posted a picture of his burned up control a couple days ago on the forum somewhere. He thinks he crimped the cord but I think it's the MSW inverter in his rig. He's going to CW to get it replaced tomorrow with a SW inverter. Hopefully it came in in time!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
True!
Lloyd posted a picture of his burned up control a couple days ago on the forum somewhere. He thinks he crimped the cord but I think it's the MSW inverter in his rig. He's going to CW to get it replaced tomorrow with a SW inverter. Hopefully it came in in time!
You are correct. Modified sine wave inverters will destroy almost any of the modern digital blanket controllers. If you can find an old blanket with an analog control, it will work.

There is also one modern blanket. The Softheat blanket uses a power "brick" and the blanket runs on 18 VDC. It runs perfectly well from MSW inverters. It is also a really nice blanket.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Our 2000 DSDP we only ordered with a 400 watt inverter as we didn't think we'd need much since we didn't WallyDock.
Found out differently and had CW install a 2,500 watt inverter. They wired it to power everything, including both heat pumps at the same time! Was going to add a secondary circuit and split loads like it should have been done but ordered the present 2002 first.
On the 2002 everything is powered except the refer and heat pumps. All the plugs work too as well as the microwave.
What an inverter powers is up to the manufacturer of your rig.
How big was your battery bank? All that on a 2500 watt inverter? How long could you keep the heat pumps going before needing to recharge?
Old 09-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintertrip View Post
Any help???
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_175015.pdf

This should be your wiring diagram. The inverter is only a 1000W and is dedicated to the 'PUR' breaker... TV, etc. Looks like you are going to have to run your propane heater to stay warm.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Since no one during delivery walk turough could tell me which outlets were inverter powered, I unpluged shore power, turned the inverter on and with a multimeter checked every outlet for power. I labeled 8 outlets so I will know in the future. 2 were in use for TVs, the rest are available for general use (within reason). Realize this too, if the GFI on the inverter trips, it shuts down all outlets as well.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter