Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Interstate Battery

Has anyone used the Interstate maintenance free RV battery for the house batteries?

Thanks,

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Dee View Post
Has anyone used the Interstate maintenance free RV battery for the house batteries?

Thanks,

Ron
I have two but they aren't maintenance free. I have to check them for water only.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Interstate maintenance free RV battery for the house batteries?
I have Interstate maintenance free batteries on the chassis side, but not on the house side. Do they make deep-discharge lead acid maintenance free batteries??
Old 06-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I have Interstate maintenance free batteries on the chassis side, but not on the house side. Do they make deep-discharge lead acid maintenance free batteries??
Yes Interstate Batteries

I'm looking to buy 2 if they are any good.

Ron
Old 06-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Yes Interstate Batteries

I'm looking to buy 2 if they are any good.

Ron
Where do you see that it says "maintenance free?" I'm almost certain that you'll have to check the water level on the Marine/RV multi-purpose deep cycle/cranking battery ...unless you're referring to the Optimas that are listed toward the bottom of the page you're citing.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:07 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

My battery compartment is so small that it was almost impossible to add water or even see the water level without a small mirror. Solution: Part of the sale agreement was to change to sealed glass mat batteries. Now I never even open the cabinet and I have not had any problems in 18 months. Knock on wood...
Old 06-19-2011, 04:25 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Where do you see that it says "maintenance free?" I'm almost certain that you'll have to check the water level on the Marine/RV multi-purpose deep cycle/cranking battery ...unless you're referring to the Optimas that are listed toward the bottom of the page you're citing.
It is the Optima.

I looked at them and they look just like the AC Delco Voyagers that I have been using.

Ron
Old 06-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
It is the Optima.

I looked at them and they look just like the AC Delco Voyagers that I have been using.

Ron
Ron, Optima batteries are made by a division of Johnson Controls (a major battery maker and one of the biggest if not the biggest battery producer in the U.S.) and not an Interstate or Delco Voyager product per se. Interstate or Delco may sell an Optima or a version of it but they are not an actual product of Interstate or Delco.

The Optimas on the web page you referenced should be Optima "Blue Tops" and you can read about their stats here:

Optima Batteries - How is your battery used?, Marine / RV

There should be lots of threads on Optimas in RVs and AGMs in RV applications. If you do a search, I'm sure you'll find multiple threads on these subjects both in the Winnebago sub-forum and Irv2 in general.

Personally, I'd love to have AGM batteries.

ETA: I believe that many other brands of AGMs are more popular in RV applications as some are true deep cycle batteries but I'll leave the experts here to comment on that.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
It is the Optima.

Ron
How have your Voyager's held up? I bought a new boat last July and the dealer installed Delco Voyager batteries for both cranking and deep cycle (trolling motor) use. He promised me they are maintenance free and his customers were more than satisfied with their performance. So, I replaced my aging Interstates on the coach with 3 of the Voyager group 29 batteries. I was going to install the Qwik Fill system I had from the Interstates but he said not to remove the caps on the Voyagers and they would last. Time will tell.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:03 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
The Optimas on the web page you referenced should be Optima "Blue Tops" and you can read about their stats here:
Sorry, I'm wrong about what I saw in the interstate store. It was not the blue top battery, therefore not the optima that was listed on interstate's web site. Thanks for clarifying that

The top of the battery I looked at, looked just like my voyagers with the sealed top.

My voyager batteries, and I have been using them since 96, have served me well. Some last almost to the end of the 3 year expiration date and some a little longer

Ron
Old 06-21-2011, 05:16 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

You can make a batt. have a longer life with a little care .Check the water every 6-weeks and use distilled H20.I found out Wallmart has a great $100. deep cycle/start batt.I use dry camping all the time with the TV and LED lighting and charge when the Honda is running the air and as the sun is out My s.panel also helps too. The Wallmart Batt. will give about 4 Years good service.I have a charger from there also Name slips My mind I think it is a Vicroy 2-10-20 unit didgital full auto it was about $59.00 8years ago..
Old 06-21-2011, 06:17 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Ron, Optima batteries are made by a division of Johnson Controls (a major battery maker and one of the biggest if not the biggest battery producer in the U.S.) and not an Interstate or Delco Voyager product per se. Interstate or Delco may sell an Optima or a version of it but they are not an actual product of Interstate or Delco.
Johnson Controls is the manufacturer of Interstate batteries. Interstate Batteries is a distributor of their own brand which is manufactured by Johnson Controls under the name of Interstate Batteries.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:20 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Well, I'm wrong again, interstate doesn't make a maintenance free battery

I stopped at one of the main stores and inquired about the maintenance free battery and they said they do not make one.

So it's back to square one for a replacement for my AC Delco Voyager.

Ron
Old 06-21-2011, 04:22 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I have three Interstate house batteries in my coach. They are NOT maintenance free though. I only added water once or twice so far and they are GREAT. I am going on my fourth year with them no problems.

Regards Jim P>
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery