Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Intermittent electrical problems

I have an Aspect 2006 with electrical problems. Intermittent.
Have brand new batteries everywhere and fully charged. All 12v & 110V are working fine when I hook up to land. I disconnect from Land... loose all power (Aux switch panel inside door has to be turned back on. Sometimes have to hold the switch in the on position to get 12v again. On the road all is well, start to turn on the generator loose all power. Have to Flip Aux switch to get power again. Immediately after that I can not turn on a light without loosing power. Boondocking, tv is on,when I turn it off . Have to reset Aux Switch. Techs fixed possible shorting wires in the Chassis and House 12V Circuit Breakers behind cover panel in cargo compartment some wires/screws touching the "silver metal piece" converter? Have had waer leakage problems into the compartment, but it is totally dried & still does this. Please help
dsteploc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: This kind of problem is tough to troubleshoot. However, most electrical problems occur at connections and switches, so I would just start at the batteries and check every connection, especially the ground side. It sounds like something is loose or not making good contact. Then follow the circuit to all other places that have connections. Make sure they are tight and nothing is shorting. Your other hope is that when it fails you have your trusty voltmeter handy and follow along until the voltage goes away. Again, be sure the grounds are solid.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
YC1
Winnebago Owner

Find your Converter. It has 12 volt automotive fuses inside. Open it up and you should see where a fairly large red and black cable bring power in and out. Tighten those large screws and make a mental note if they were loose. Take a voltage reading between the two large wires with it not working and then when it is working. If this does not solve the issue you have two solenoids that handle the power. Those are located in a box that has circuit breakers. Don't get confused with the 110 volt breakers. You can download a schematic from WinnebagoIND.com . Free.

Disconnect your engine battery negative and the negative lead of the coach batteries. Then unbolt the large cables on the solenoids and stack the two wires you take off onto one side or the other of the solenoid. Do this to both solenoids. This will bypass a defective solenoid or control circuit. If the problem goes away, undo one of the relay mods at a time. If you find which one is giving you the problem then troubleshooting that is rather easy.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Before undoing the solenoid connections, check the voltage across the large studs. If you have more than 0.2V then the large contacts inside are burned and the solenoid needs to be replaced or rebuilt (usually replaced; I rebuilt a riveted one once just for drill and it takes more time than a cheap one is worth; maybe if you have one of the $200 units it would be worthwhile to rebuild). Also if you can cycle the solenoid several times and measure the volt drop across the large contacts and it varies, there is carbon buildup inside that is getting trapped between the moving & stationary contacts in varying amounts when the inside contacts jump; again time for a new one.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Before undoing the solenoid connections, check the voltage across the large studs. If you have more than 0.2V then the large contacts inside are burned and the solenoid needs to be replaced or rebuilt (usually replaced; I rebuilt a riveted one once just for drill and it takes more time than a cheap one is worth; maybe if you have one of the $200 units it would be worthwhile to rebuild). Also if you can cycle the solenoid several times and measure the volt drop across the large contacts and it varies, there is carbon buildup inside that is getting trapped between the moving & stationary contacts in varying amounts when the inside contacts jump; again time for a new one.

Hi Mike, Sorry, but I am really not responding to this problem. A few days ago I sent you an email about ABS brake problems on a 99 Alpine. We are on vacation and changed email madress (temporary{
donjaneeettarobinson@hotmail Thanks old trucker
Old Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

[QUOTE=Old Trucker;1057732]Hi Mike, Sorry, but I am really not responding to this problem. A few days ago I sent you an email about ABS brake problems on a 99 Alpine. We are on vacation and changed email adress (temporary{

donjanetta robinson @hotmail
Old Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks all. I will start looking for my problem & learning more about my rig!
dsteploc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical