Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-29-2015, 11:59 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Intermittent back up camera

I need a place to continue trouble shooting my rear view monitor. The coach is a 2003 Winnebago 35 U. The camera works well, most of the time. On occasion the monitor will fail to come on usually when I need it for monitoring the towed or backing into a tight space. I have checked both fuses, they have continuity. I have checked the connection to the monitor, it is secure. I lack the expertise to know where else to look for the problem. The most aggravating problem is many times when I try to trace the issue the thing works as advertised. I have perused the Winnebago diagrams and even (heaven forbid) read the manual. Any ideas??
Thanks for your help in advanced.
Mike
michealwhela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealwhela View Post
I need a place to continue trouble shooting my rear view monitor. The coach is a 2003 Winnebago 35 U. The camera works well, most of the time. On occasion the monitor will fail to come on usually when I need it for monitoring the towed or backing into a tight space. I have checked both fuses, they have continuity. I have checked the connection to the monitor, it is secure. I lack the expertise to know where else to look for the problem. The most aggravating problem is many times when I try to trace the issue the thing works as advertised. I have perused the Winnebago diagrams and even (heaven forbid) read the manual. Any ideas??
Thanks for your help in advanced.
Mike
Is it blanking out after rain? If so, mine does too. I expect it is shorting the camera signal to the monitor. It is reliable when it's not wet. Cure could be to take it out after a rain and check for damp, and or waterproof it as best you can and test your handywork.
FixerCQI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Mine was the cable - about 8 inches from the camera where where the cable split out between power and video. Had to move the cable back/forth while someone watched the monitor. Check the cable wherever it isn't solidly held in place (wherever there is play in the cable).
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Have the camera checked. I had the same problem and it turned out to be the camera. After it was replaced no more problems.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

My 2009 Adventurer had a similar problem that I found to be an in-line fuse under the center of the dashboard directly behind the monitor. The fuse was installed incorrectly and was making contact sometimes and then losing it. I installed a new fuse holder and fuse, no more problems
LEHAFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixerCQI View Post
Is it blanking out after rain? If so, mine does too. I expect it is shorting the camera signal to the monitor. It is reliable when it's not wet. Cure could be to take it out after a rain and check for damp, and or waterproof it as best you can and test your handywork.
We have not had any rain up here for some time. I just started doing this a couple of weeks ago. I do now suspect connections or a bad fuse. I am going to go through those today and check the camera cable. A tech suggested replacing the glass fuse holder as they tend to build up resistance as they get older with a bayonet type. I will let you all know what I find. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

What brand monitor is it? Weldex? On our year coaches +- these monitors have a known issue with a capacitor on the power board. Mine goes out when the monitor warms up and then comes and goes. Sometimes I can get it to come back on if I turn it off for a few seconds then back on again, but lately that hasn't worked. When we get home I hope to take the monitor apart and replace that bad capacitor.....if I can fine it.

Here is one of many threads in this forum:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/welde...ems-78569.html
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:00 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Sony Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
What brand monitor is it? Weldex? On our year coaches +- these monitors have a known issue with a capacitor on the power board. Mine goes out when the monitor warms up and then comes and goes. Sometimes I can get it to come back on if I turn it off for a few seconds then back on again, but lately that hasn't worked. When we get home I hope to take the monitor apart and replace that bad capacitor.....if I can fine it.

Here is one of many threads in this forum:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/welde...ems-78569.html
Mine is a Sony Monitor. It has been dependable until the last couple of weeks. I plan on working on it today to see if I can determine the cause or need to replace it.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:23 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

All, Thanks for the help. I turned out to be my connector at the back of the monitor. When I touched it the monitor came on. If I wiggled it the monitor would turn on and off. I disconnected it, cleaned the contacts and the unit is now working as it should. Thanks for the assist....Mike
Old 10-18-2015, 07:37 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Wow, just searching for this very problem. Mine is the same-Sony and only works some of the time. I will try what worked for you...hope it is that simple of a fix. Thanks!!
jbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:01 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Hope it works for you. So far mine is doing great. Amazing how when you make a good connection things work!
Old 10-19-2015, 05:58 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

michealwheal, what did you use to clean the contacts. I'm having the same issue.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera