Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
Intellitec Load Center Issue

We just returned from a trip from Cleveland, OH to Albuquerque, NM and back. Druing the trip, the load center started displaying only the refrigerator light when on shore power - either 30 or 50 amps - but all of the load lights come on when the generator is used.

All of the circuits in the motorhome are live on either power source.

Since the load center seems to work properly on generator power, I suspect that the problem is in the transfer switch. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Anybody have any other ideas or experienced the same problem?

Appreciate your help.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 10-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Not sure if we are having the same problem or not. When we plug into a 50 amp outlet we only are showing 30 amps on the readout in the motorhome. Yet when we run te Generator or turn on the Inverer we show 50 amps. Havent had it looked at yet as we dont have a Winnebago dealer close. I was wondering if perhaps the problem is also in the transfer switch.
Retiredrvbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Winnebago TT

@Retiredrvbud...I'm having the same issue, did you find out what the problem was?
ScottLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

When the generator is running, 30 or 50 amps should not be displayed. The only display should be the generator light and all of the load lights should be lit along with the amperage draw in the display window.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol 65
When the generator is running, 30 or 50 amps should not be displayed. The only display should be the generator light and all of the load lights should be lit along with the amperage draw in the display window.
I am not experiencing that. The 50 amp light is definitely lit as well as all the others. Do you have any idea what might be causing that. Are you driving a Chieftain as well?
Old 11-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottLee
@Retiredrvbud...I'm having the same issue, did you find out what the problem was?
No I havent found out yet? We unfortunately dont have a dealer close to where I live and with Winter having approached we have parked the vehicle until we head South in mid January. I was hoping someone might know what was happening or not happening.
I take it from your comments you plug into a 50 amp service and are getting a 30 amp light only inside? Is that what you are experiencing. i am not sure if an electrician could help with this issue or not. My suspicion is that there is something not right with the transfer switch. Don't know how to test though.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
Winnebago TT

Yes, the exact same situation....hooked up to 50A, but inside only shows 30A. I was told that there is a fuse in the intellitec system, so I'm gonna try to find it.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Are you driving a chieftain as well. Wondering if it could be a fuse. My thinking there is that it wouldnt let any power through inside the coach if a fuse was blown. I am leaning towards thinking that something is not letting the 50 amp service register which might be the job of the transfer switch.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I think that the remedy for this problem is a new Intellitec board. I drive a Chieftain and the manual states that when the generator is running, there should not be 50 amps displayed. Mine only displays 30 amps when on either 50 0r 30 amps but when the generator is running doesn't display anything except the equipment load lights. Someone had a similar problem this summer and contacted Intellitec who stated that a new board needed to be ordered to replace the existing one. You can troubleshoot using this link to the manual:
http://www.flemingsalesoem.com/intel...5322100100.pdf
Old 11-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Interesting yours only shows 30 amp when connected to a 50 amp service. Wonder why that is..have you evervestablished why that is. There seems to be 3 of us who experience the same issue
Old 11-04-2012, 01:47 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredrvbud View Post
Interesting yours only shows 30 amp when connected to a 50 amp service. Wonder why that is..have you evervestablished why that is. There seems to be 3 of us who experience the same issue
my intellitec display properly indicates 50a sometimes and at other times 30a. this is while hooked up to a known good 50a power source, without disconnecting anything. the display changes randomly.
i have had this moho for about 6 years and the display has been doing this for at least 3 years.
i use a progressive ind. 50a surge protector. there is no difference in the display if i use the surge protector or not.
everything operates the same, normally, when either 30a or 50a is indicated. the only anomaly is the 30-50 display.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:16 AM   #12
YC1
Winnebago Owner

Since all of the circuits work in any case the transfer switch should not be an issue. However what may be making the difference is vibration. With the generator running a loose connection may be making contact enough for the readout to work properly. I would start with it on shoreline power and remove the display panel so you can get to the back to wiggle wires and connectors. If no joy there and since you are a Ham and have some electronic knowledge you can unplug from shoreline and take the front of your circuit breaker panel off. Plug back in to shoreline and have someone watch the display while you do the followiing. Using the handle of a screwdriver or nut driver tap around the circuit board you will find inside. There should be a fuse along one edge. If you get it to go intermittent shut power off and reseat every plug and tighten everything in site. I don't feel you have a failed board because it works with the generator. As for the transfer switch, it is a good idea to tighten the screws every year or so. Just as you should go through every connection in the battery compartment.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:25 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Make sure all ac breakers in your panel are on. On my previous 03 Adventurer, if the hot water heater breaker was off the board would register 30amps when plugged into 50amp.
The board determines whether you have 30 or 50 available by analyzing L1 and L2. Determines gen available by B Plus voltage from genset.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I have a 09 Journey with the Intellitec system. I have had two issues. First was at the GNR last year where the power pedestal had an intermittent connection (that I found out about later). Display was totally erratic and the system would shed almost everything. Found out if you turn off the 12 v supply to the coach, the system resets as it runs on 12volts and gave correct readings until the pedestal problems recurred.
Second - was showing 30 amps when connected to a 50amp service. Found the problem here with a voltmeter. The system senses the service type using leads connected to two breakers in the panel for 50a services. In my breaker panel, the engine block heater is the last breaker and since it isn't used in the summer, I turned it off. Turns out that is the breaker used to sense one of the sides of the AC line to determine if a 50 amp service is in use. Turning the breaker on - and leaving it on - corrected that problem. Not sure if any of this is helpful unless you have a breaker or two turned off.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
I appreciate all of the comments. Not sure what happened, but we were out camping last weekend, and everything worked correctly. HHHHHMMMMMMM Unfortunately, the coach is in for some body work (pole at a gas station suddenly jumped up out of the ground and scraped two basement doors). When I get it back, I'll check for loose connections on the Intellitec system. The power system must be OK since I've never had issues with operaton of anything.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 11-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #16
Winnebago TT

This weekend I was able to test and verify that I was getting 50A,

Neg-L1=120
Neg-L2=120
L1-L2=240

So, now I'm totally stumped. The fuse on the Intellitec 620 looks fine also.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Not sure what to think based on all the input for this topic. We all seem to have the same problem yet noone is having any difficulty with electrical supply. Maybe someone reading will have experienced and figured it out.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

The system makes the determination of what service is connected based on what it sees on two jumpers that go to breakers in the coach panel from a circuit board there. One is on either side of the line. In my 09 Journey, a circuit board for the Intellitec system is located at the bottom of the panel. You might want to remove the front of the panel and check to see if there are jumpers/sense leads are intact physically and are going to two of the breakers and that any wiring connectors to this board are properly seated. You can do that by pushing them unto the headers pins on the board. Obviously (but it wasn't at first to me), the breakers with the sense leads must be turned on all the time for the system to give correct readings. Before you try any of this, you should insure all power to the panel is off. You should also check the other end of the cable from the board in the panel to the rear of the display to insure both are properly seated. I would suspect if this doesn't yield results, then there is a wiring problem or a board problem. Good luck and be careful when you are doing this.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #19
YC1
Winnebago Owner

indicate "50 AMP" service source when 50 Amp 240 VAC shore power is
connected.
A. Check jumper setting per Figure on page 5 and Tables on page 6.
B. Check relay wiring per Table on page 6.
Check wiring between J5 on EMS Control Module and Display Panel.
1 Power 12V
2 Data Ground
3 Ground Ground
4 Select Line Ground, 12V when pressed
Wiring 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4
Both the EMS Control Module and Display Panel have internal protection. Shorts or miswiring should not cause
the units to fail.
Check wiring between generator run light circuit and J2 pin 2 on EMS Control Module. J2, pin 2 should
measure +12VDC or greater when generator is running and 0 VDC, otherwise.
Check to make sure that jumpers are present between any LINE 1 breaker and J6 terminal 3, and any LINE 2
breaker and J6 terminal 1. Also check that the "NEUTRAL" jumper is in place, between J6 terminal 5 and a
position on the NEUTRALblock.
With "50 Amp" service available the voltage between J6-3 and J6-1 should measure 240 VAC. With any other
source the voltage between J6-3 and J6-1 should measure 0 VAC. In addition, the voltage measured between

J6-3 and J6-5 should be 120 VACand the voltage measured between J6-1 and J6-5 should be 120 VAC.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf intellitec ems service manual.pdf (306.3 KB, 122 views)
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1

indicate "50 AMP" service source when 50 Amp 240 VAC shore power is
connected.
A. Check jumper setting per Figure on page 5 and Tables on page 6.
B. Check relay wiring per Table on page 6.
Check wiring between J5 on EMS Control Module and Display Panel.
1 Power 12V
2 Data Ground
3 Ground Ground
4 Select Line Ground, 12V when pressed
Wiring 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4
Both the EMS Control Module and Display Panel have internal protection. Shorts or miswiring should not cause
the units to fail.
Check wiring between generator run light circuit and J2 pin 2 on EMS Control Module. J2, pin 2 should
measure +12VDC or greater when generator is running and 0 VDC, otherwise.
Check to make sure that jumpers are present between any LINE 1 breaker and J6 terminal 3, and any LINE 2
breaker and J6 terminal 1. Also check that the "NEUTRAL" jumper is in place, between J6 terminal 5 and a
position on the NEUTRALblock.
With "50 Amp" service available the voltage between J6-3 and J6-1 should measure 240 VAC. With any other
source the voltage between J6-3 and J6-1 should measure 0 VAC. In addition, the voltage measured between
J6-3 and J6-5 should be 120 VACand the voltage measured between J6-1 and J6-5 should be 120 VAC.
I am thinking I would need to have an electrician perform these checks. They sound complicated to me and probably a touch dangerous if not done carefully. Sounds like power has to be on for some of them.