Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2005, 10:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

I have found that the RF cable from the roof mounted satellite to the TV cabinet is defective. Any ideas on installing (pulling) a new cable? Keep in mind that the cable has to be routed through the passenger side slide unit before it gets to the TV cabinet.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 10:53 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have found that the RF cable from the roof mounted satellite to the TV cabinet is defective. Any ideas on installing (pulling) a new cable? Keep in mind that the cable has to be routed through the passenger side slide unit before it gets to the TV cabinet.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Wouldn't that be a warranty thing, or do you just want to fix it yourself?

My guess is that you cannot just attach your new cable to the end of the old one and pull.

I looked quite a bit at the wiring diagrams for the 40AD and also under the slide to see how Winney did the wiring to the roof because I am interested in getting a Datastorm installed after we order/get our 40AD. Short answer - I don't have a clue how they routed the roof wiring.

As an aside - any time you do any cabling where it matters, always buy quality. Quality is Belden cable and for the connectors always buy Amphenol products.

John
www.janeandjohn.org
John Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 01:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Gosh - I'm back to being a new member. Oh well...
Old 02-20-2005, 01:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Canfield:
Gosh - I'm back to being a new member. Oh well... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oops wrong login. My bad. I use John_canfield and not John Canfield.

John
Old 02-23-2005, 06:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

John,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is a warranty thing. I thought I would attempt it myself. However, it looks pretty tough and I may end up taking it to a dealer. I can't help but wonder how a dealer's technicians would do it. I, too, have looked at the wiring diagrams for the 40AD and cannot figure out how it is wired.

You might want to consider the TrackStar 360 satellite dish. I had one installed on my 40AD and it is great. My only problem is the defective RF cable that was already installed by Winnebago. The cable is defective since it will not receive transponder number 10 and therefore I cannot receive about 8 channels. I can connect an external cable from the satellite dish to the trackstar components inside the coach and it works perfectly.

I agree about quality cabling. Do you know of a source for Belden cable and Amphenol connectors?
Old 02-24-2005, 02:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

As a matter of fact I do. Try http://www.pasternack.com/. Since I'm a ham (wb5tht) I buy a few things every now and then from Amateur Electronic Supply (http://www.aesham.com/). They carry coax and some connectors. Pasternack however has any kind of odd-ball connector ever designed.

BTW, have you had your 40AD weighed with lots of liveaboard stuff aboard? Do you have the ISL engine? I'm wondering what typical weights are for the AD loaded ready to hit the road. We plan on full-timing for a couple of years then figuring out where to buy a stick house. I think we are going to order ours right after we visit the factory on March 28.

I'm going for the King-dome in-motion and I'll let Winney install it.

Cheers,

John
www.janeandjohn.org

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

John,

Thanks for the information.

On our first trip our 40AD weighed 29,420 with full fuel, full propane, 1/3 water, empty black and grey tanks and newly installed washer/dryer. Also normal stuff for two people, tools, etc.