Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2019, 07:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

installing a backup camera?

Anyone use the middle running light as a location and power source for their back-up camera? Can I get a positive and negative wire by replacing the existing light with my camera? I realize that the camera will only be powered when the lights are on, but that's ok because I drive with my lights on anyway. Any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks!
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I did exactly that on my previous coach, it was quick and easy. And yes, I had to have the lights on to power the camera, and I was OK with that. Well, I didn't replace the light, I just spliced in to the wires for the light. I actually mounted the camera just below the light. If you replace the light you'll want to make sure that the camera has a large enough footprint to cover the hole to keep water out.

On my current coach I spliced in to the power line for the original rear view camera. It was more of a bother because of the design of the wires in the original cable - several tiny little wires in there to work with.
On mine the original camera was not great, but it's sufficient to keep an eye on the bikes that we haul a platform in the hitch. I wanted a second camera pointed more down the road to act like a rear view 'mirror' so that I can have another view of what's behind me so nothing 'sneaks up' on me. And for the people against that, yes I do indeed use my side view mirrors, but we all know that there are people that follow closely enough that they get into the blind spot that the mirrors don't show, that's where the option of the rear looking camera comes in very handy.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the post! I think my camera mount will cover the light hole. I have 5 lights across the top with the middle being where I want the camera so I won't miss the light. I remember the camera wires being about size 22 and very hard to work with. Forest River electronics have a closeout with a great price on a Furrion FOS43TASF.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I'm glad I decided to replace the middle top rear light because that's the one the trainee did. The cutout for the power wasn't even covered or sealed and he/she missed a hole location and just put a screw in to hide it.

Anyway, on the 12v lights is the white the negative or positive? Thanks for any help!
Old 12-14-2019, 05:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Wishing you many great experiences. There are always things to fix and tweet, but I just count it as another hobby.
Charley67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via MSN to e4services
Basically the only power up there. I use it all the time.
Sometimes you can get a wire up there, but rare. Using the clearance lights is the best solution and has NO issues
e4services is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, install