Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-02-2020, 12:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Installing 30 amp service at home to hook up RV

We are traveling to stay with our son for a couple of weeks, in Navion 24D. He is installing 30 amp service for us to use while we are there. HAs anybody had experience with this? ANything to watch out for?

Thanks
Susan and kent
KentSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 12:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

It’s very common. Just make sure the wire gauge suits the distance and amperage to prevent overheating.
Also, I’ve seen some confusion with people thinking that it’s 220 volt because of the plug. It’s not. 30 amp 110v. Make sure he uses the correct receptacle to match your “RV 30amp plug”.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

If this is being done by a pro, do stress that it IS NOT for 220 as they can sometimes jump to what they are used to and that is three wires to a 220 outlet. They CAN use the same three wires which are on something like a drier or window AC but they do need to rearrange how they are connected in the breaker /fuse panel.
A pro will easily do that but they do have to be aware of what is wanted as it may not be the norm for them if they are not RV minded.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 01:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Is 30A going to be adequate? If your RV has 30A power then you will be fine. But if it is 50A 220V then get him to install that service. It won't cost much more to do and will give you power on both of your main panel busses and more amperage as well.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 01:49 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
But if it is 50A 220V then get him to install that service.
The problem with installing such service in your home is that you could have 30-amps available unused in your panel - I know I did. But not many homes have an extra 100 amps of unused service available - AND I did not have that.

So, installing another 100 amp capability to the home could be a huge expense over and above the cost of the RV line and receptacle.

When I had my 30-amp RV plug installed it was $210 - the electrician said to add 50-amp service would be in the thousands.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:51 PM   #6
Site Team

Whatever you do, get a professional; like this guy!
Ha-ha-ha.
Eagle5
Old 11-02-2020, 02:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

All it takes is an empty double pole slot in the main panel and you add a 50A double pole breaker to it. But yes if your panel were full then it could cost a lot of money as you would probably have to add a sub panel.

If you did this without a sub panel it would just cost about $10-15 for the 50A double pole breaker, $25 more for 50' of #8/3+G cable vs #10/2+G.

It all depends on having space in the main panel.

David
Old 11-02-2020, 02:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentSuz View Post
We are traveling to stay with our son for a couple of weeks, in Navion 24D. He is installing 30 amp service for us to use while we are there. HAs anybody had experience with this? ANything to watch out for?

Thanks
Susan and kent
Although highly unlikely, and if he's not an electrician, assuming the job is done by a professional, you might want to use a portable or hard wired EMS between his house 30A receptacle and your Navion's 30A power grid/converter.
Just in case? Does he ever get power blips/brown outs, or lightning strikes, where he lives?
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:43 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Wiring Diagram

I have attached 1 files showing the wiring of the plug.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 30 amp Service Installation (1).pdf (64.7 KB, 161 views)
k9jkfham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 11:22 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I had an electrician install a 20/30/50 hookup like you find at campgrounds. Very smooth. Find someone who knows about an RV application and should be no problem.
MattyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:31 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

30 amp service

For God's sake this is hardly rocket science.
Buy a small box and the 30 amp female receptacle which matches your rigs cord.

Get the necessary length of 10/2 with ground Romex Cable (use metal or plastic conduit if exposed

At the receptacle connect the black wire to one of the upper arms of the "y", white to the other, and the bare ground wire to the base of the "y" (a previous post gives great details of the wiring)

At your breaker box, buy a 30 amp breaker of same make series as your existing

Black wire attaches to the single terminal on the new breaker. Ground AND white wire go to the ground bus in your box (just observe all the other breaker wiring for reference)

Snap the breaker in place, and you're good to go. No need to pay an electrician $250-$300 for 30 minute job and $50 in Parts

I just completed this wiring in my new RV Barn. I added 30 amp switch from Amazon at the receptacle box to avoid having to throw the breaker (for safety) every time I hook up
Pauldridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 07:16 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

As a licensed electrical contractor over the years I have seen more incorrectly wired RV outlets than I care to remember. Most commonly 30 amp services wired for 240 volts and secondly 30 amp services wired with hot/neutral reversed. Also 50 amp services wired with only 3 wires. Romex installed outdoors, underground, in plumbing pipe, etc. etc. If there is a way to do it wrong the DIY will find it, believe me. Some of the stuff I've seen defies logic. Electrical wiring by trial and error. If it works, it must be right. I wouldn't plug into any RV service without using a tester first.

A few months ago I looked at a house someone was buying, the previous owner had ran 12/2 Romex outdoors thru white PVC plumbing pipe to a 30 amp TT receptacle. There was a 30 amp 2 pole breaker laying on top of the panel, two knockouts removed from the deadfront with "RV" written next to both, and a 30 amp 1 pole installed. I am guessing they tried the 2 pole first, wasn't there to see it though. There was not a single thing right about that installation.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Easy concept but we encountered several issues by the local power company. I wanted to have a pole and meter installed on my 4 acre rural property for my 50 amp. coach when I traveled there to see family. They first said flat no, not approved for RV. The electrician doing the work finally managed to convince an inspector but then the pole had to be in a certain spot, height, backplate for meter, etc. The inspector failed the job 3 times before it was connected to power. Thank goodness my electrician knew someone.
Liv4weekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:03 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Is 30A going to be adequate? If your RV has 30A power then you will be fine. But if it is 50A 220V then get him to install that service. It won't cost much more to do and will give you power on both of your main panel busses and more amperage as well.

David
Ive NEVER seen a 50 a class c he said it was 24.' dont confuse him with unneccsary info
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 12:05 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Well said Rick,
actually a good quality extension cord on a 20 amp breaker would work if you don't need it for heat or a/c.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:01 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I don't like to take unnecessary risk with electricity. A while back when it was legal, or rather, not illegal, I would wire my spec houses and also do the plumbing. This was before I secured a building contractor license. Now, though I have the knowledge to perform all aspects of building homes, except AC, I am required to have a specifically licensed mechanic for each trade. Any failure can come back to the building contractor. So, it's very important to use qualified sub-contractors.
Uh oh, will not correct a problem nor bring the dead back to life. It may very well be worth the cost to have a qualified licensed electrician do your service.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:25 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
All it takes is an empty double pole slot in the main panel and you add a 50A double pole breaker to it. But yes if your panel were full then it could cost a lot of money as you would probably have to add a sub panel.

If you did this without a sub panel it would just cost about $10-15 for the 50A double pole breaker, $25 more for 50' of #8/3+G cable vs #10/2+G.

It all depends on having space in the main panel.

David
Wow, I'd love to know where I can those parts that cheap! My Home Depot must be run by the Mob!
StanCanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:47 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanCanyon View Post
Wow, I'd love to know where I can those parts that cheap! My Home Depot must be run by the Mob!
Well here is the 50A two pole breaker for $10 at Home Depot- https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Q-Lin...2150/100356513. The 30A single pole is $5 cheaper. A 50' roll of #8 3C+G is $25 more than a roll of #10 2C+G. The 50A receptacle is a couple of bucks more expensive as well.

David
Old 11-09-2020, 08:09 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanCanyon View Post
This may be closer to the truth than we want to admit! But prices are higher where there are more people to buy the product, so some do get gouged more than others!
Look at what a burger costs on each coast!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:38 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I had the exact same situation last month. A friend had a retired electrician neighbor put in a 30 amp service for my visit. He wired it 220v and caused me a week of grief (but no serious damage).
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, service