Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-24-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Installing 12v fan in refigerator

I understand that if your fridge is not equipped with one, you can achieve additional cooling efficiency by installing a 12v computer (type) fan in the back of your gas/electric fridge to increase the air movement over the coils.

Has anybody done this retro-fit and can lend any tips on the best way to do it? Do you attach the power source to the fridge switch so that the fan runs all of the time, or put a manual switch to use in hot weather only?

My fridge is efficient in normal weather, but needs some help this time of year.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

DOMETIC NORCOLD REFRIGERATOR FAN FOR RV 12 VOLT | eBay

I bought one like this but haven't had it long enough to tell if it helps.
TN Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffman View Post
I understand that if your fridge is not equipped with one, you can achieve additional cooling efficiency by installing a 12v computer (type) fan in the back of your gas/electric fridge to increase the air movement over the coils.

Has anybody done this retro-fit and can lend any tips on the best way to do it? Do you attach the power source to the fridge switch so that the fan runs all of the time, or put a manual switch to use in hot weather only?

My fridge is efficient in normal weather, but needs some help this time of year.

There are many threads on this subject so do a search. I tried to get the webpage for a very popular one for you but it says it is no longer available.

I am going to install a computer cooling fan a 4" model readily available at Best Buy or on line for 10 to 20 dollars---the threads describe an easy install----the hot line to the light is always hot so if you connect before the switch your fan operates when the door is closed. Many people have displayed the results of this installl and it virtually eliminates frosting up and cools much more efficiently.

I will install mine before we head out for winter. One of the many little chores I have for myself; an annual project.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

As Ronald Reagan said: "There I go again". Making assumptions without doing research. It appears the above mentioned fan goes 'inside' the fridge on the fins, thus eliminating frost build-up and increasing air flow.

I was talking with another old geezer who told me that a fan could be mounted in the compartment on the outside of the fridge, thus increasing the circulation of air over the coils on the outside. I questioned how that could help, but he assured me it could.

Perhaps that old geezer and this old geezer do not know what they are talking about?
Old 08-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via ICQ to MaxTurner1
I like the idea of the fans for better efficiency. But first, I need to get the light in our side-by-side Dometic too work. No power to the red lead and wiring diagram doesn't show whether it has a separate fuse. Any ideas?
MaxTurner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
As Ronald Reagan said: "There I go again". Making assumptions without doing research. It appears the above mentioned fan goes 'inside' the fridge on the fins, thus eliminating frost build-up and increasing air flow.

I was talking with another old geezer who told me that a fan could be mounted in the compartment on the outside of the fridge, thus increasing the circulation of air over the coils on the outside. I questioned how that could help, but he assured me it could.

Perhaps that old geezer and this old geezer do not know what they are talking about?
Hey us old geezers need to stick together----eventually one of us will be right----right? I've done my share of geezerly things so I can relate----
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

Actually, both old geezers did know what they we were talking about.

Adding a fan inside blowing on the fins will help cool the fridge more evenly.

Mounting one or more computer-style fans externally to increase airflow across the coils from the bottom vent out the top vent will improve cooling temperatures by several degrees during hot days.

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We always go where we can hook up, so 120v is not problem. I bought a 4" fan from Radio Shack, and a cheap 24 hour timer. I used zip ties to fasten the fan to the inside of the access door, so it sucks air from outside and blows over the cooling unit. I only had one 120v outlet where the fridge gets plugged in, so I picked up a duplex adapter at Walmart. The fridge plugs into one side of the adapter, and the timeclock plugs into the other. The fan plugs into the timeclock, which I set to turn the fan off before I go to bed. The fan is very quiet, but I could probably hear a spider crawl, so I don't want ANY noise when trying to sleep.
INSPECTORBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:

Cardiffman, I recently made some changes to the Norcold refrigerator in my Winnebago Journey. I got rid of the Norcold cooling unit and installed an Amish Built cooling unit. While I had the fridge out I installed some new fans on the back of the fridge to aid in venting the hot air from the absorber coils and condensor fins. Here is a short video that shows how and where the fans where installed.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I installed one and it does help. The Fridge gets colder faster and the trmp. doesen't change as wide over time. Here is a link to the project pictures.
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=ae67f...2766057%212432

This is the fan I used.
http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10-2...219270&sr=8-13

Dick
Old 08-25-2011, 04:46 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I got the ebay fan mentioned before and it has lowered freezer and fridge temps a few degrees. well worth it. not sure where to clip it to the fins but I have good results so far. Anyone know the optimum fin area to clip it to?
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajuene View Post

I got the ebay fan mentioned before and it has lowered freezer and fridge temps a few degrees. well worth it. not sure where to clip it to the fins but I have good results so far. Anyone know the optimum fin area to clip it to?
I bought two, one on each side of the internal fins. Therefore it really doesn't matter where, it's up to you.

If it were me, and only used one fan, I would put it next to the fins where the thermistor is located. See photos.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Norcold Internal Fan-3.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	13272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Norcold Internal Fan-1.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	13273  

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I got 2 also so I'd have a spare but maybe using both is a good idea. I have mine near the thermistor. I'll wait on using the second until I see how it goes with some hot days. Do you know the amp draw on these? I'm at work so I can't look at it right now.
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I bought two, one on each side of the internal fins. Therefore it really doesn't matter where, it's up to you.

If it were me, and only used one fan, I would put it next to the fins where the thermistor is located. See photos.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Richard, How did you attach the fans to the fins?

Sammie
Old 08-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Installing 12v fan in refigerator

I, too, purchased one of these blue fans. However, I can't figure out to attach the alligator clamp to the fins. The clamp has been attached to the upper edge of the fan housing and it will not attach to the fins and allow the fan housing to rest flush against the fins. The alligator clamp has been attached to the upper edge of the fan housing so it's motion is very limited.

Do I need to release the alligator clamp from the upper edge of the fan housing to clamp it to a fin? The clamp cord is so short that it will not extend far enough to get out of the way.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks for the help.

Daniel C. Ellis
2005 Winnebago Journey 39F
Portland, Oregon
dcellisesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

All I did to mine was bend the alligater clip up and clip it to the fin. The bottom of the fans just rest against the fins. I did put a strip of double side tape on the bottom to keep it fro rattling.
TN Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:05 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

This thread will explain what may help you as far as cooling rear of your fridge through vent area.
This thread will explain problems related to fires in either make of fridge.
And if you want to eliminate both of these problems this thread will explain that.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Richard, How did you attach the fans to the fins?

Sammie
When I purchased my first one, after it came, I quickly realized that the wire lead attached to the alligator clip was NOT long enough to allow you to clip it to the TOP side of the fins allowing the fan to rest against the fins. I extended the lead and installed a new clip. After a few months, that fan failed prematurely and the vendor replaced it for free including shipping. He supplied it with a long lead and no clip so I could make it just the right length for my application. When I purchased the second one, he did the same for me.

I highly recommend this vendor, as he has replaced two different fans that failed unexpectedly. Both times free replacements with free shipping too. He advertises 100% satisfaction guarantee and he stands by it.

He sells them on eBay, his user/vendor ID is rflkt1.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
When I purchased my first one, after it came, I quickly realized that the wire lead attached to the alligator clip was NOT long enough to allow you to clip it to the TOP side of the fins allowing the fan to rest against the fins. I extended the lead and installed a new clip. After a few months, that fan failed prematurely and the vendor replaced it for free including shipping. He supplied it with a long lead and no clip so I could make it just the right length for my application. When I purchased the second one, he did the same for me.

I highly recommend this vendor, as he has replaced two different fans that failed unexpectedly. Both times free replacements with free shipping too. He advertises 100% satisfaction guarantee and he stands by it.

He sells them on eBay, his user/vendor ID is rflkt1.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Thanks Richard, But what I meant was how did you secure the fan bracket itself to the fins?

Thanks, Sammie
Old 08-26-2011, 11:11 AM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

This fan works better than anything i have ever used and is so easy to hoo up. Rivrduk
rivrduk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan