Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-15-2008, 05:39 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Hi All - have been able to figure out most of electronics in my 07 Suncruiser, however one is still a problem. The dash radio remote (a small thin remote about 4 X 3 long and the remote on the steering wheel do not function. Stopped and got new batteries but still nothing. While at the dealer last week I mentioned this to them and their suggestion was the battery route - if not that then it's possibly a bad sensor.

The location of this sensor is what remains a mystery to me. The tech put the remotes next to a red bulb located on the upper right corner of the dash - in all my past ecperience have never seen a big red sensor for a remote????

I have a workhorse chassis and will double check the book to see what I can find as far as what is represented on the dash. I am not even sure these remotes go with the radio system I have????

Any suggetions?
Old 03-15-2008, 05:39 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Hi All - have been able to figure out most of electronics in my 07 Suncruiser, however one is still a problem. The dash radio remote (a small thin remote about 4 X 3 long and the remote on the steering wheel do not function. Stopped and got new batteries but still nothing. While at the dealer last week I mentioned this to them and their suggestion was the battery route - if not that then it's possibly a bad sensor.

The location of this sensor is what remains a mystery to me. The tech put the remotes next to a red bulb located on the upper right corner of the dash - in all my past ecperience have never seen a big red sensor for a remote????

I have a workhorse chassis and will double check the book to see what I can find as far as what is represented on the dash. I am not even sure these remotes go with the radio system I have????

Any suggetions?
Old 03-15-2008, 05:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The tech put the remotes next to a red bulb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom, that is the sensor alright. It has a wire that plugs into the radio, so it may simply be unplugged.. Im guessing you have a "Lift a Dash", so it is easy to check.I think the size and shape of the sensor is to allow it to work from the pass. side (high angle)..rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:24 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rgrstndgby:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The tech put the remotes next to a red bulb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom, that is the sensor alright. It has a wire that plugs into the radio, so it may simply be unplugged.. Im guessing you have a "Lift a Dash", so it is easy to check.I think the size and shape of the sensor is to allow it to work from the pass. side (high angle)..rgr... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If that's the case - any idea where to plug it in????
Old 03-15-2008, 06:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Assuming you have the same radio as we do, magnadyne m9900. In your black bag of manuals there should be 2 u shaped stainless steel tools. Those are used to help slide the radio out. You could then see if the plug is plugged in.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:08 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Take a look at the dash radio wiring diagram for your coach: Dash Radio Installation

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Tom asks
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If that's the case - any idea where to plug it in???? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom, my MoHo is a 2004, came without a remote. The factory replaced it with a Magnadyne 9900, and IT came with a wire stubbed out for connecting a remote. I purchased an "eye" and remotes, from the Magnadyne factory folks. Find the wire on the back of the "eye", black, approx 18g, and trace it till you find a male mini plug. That should be plugged into a female mini, hard wired into the back of the radio. The short stub into the radio is also black, looks to be 16g. There should be no need to remove the radio. All this stuff is in pretty plain view and access on my Adventurer, yours may vary...rgr...
Old 03-15-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Thanks a bunch gang! Will give it try tomorow - too tired to mess around anymore today - cuttin' down and trimming tree's so I don't hit anything on the way in....
Old 03-15-2008, 11:50 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Tom, Mine is similar to rgr. Not that I'm an expert by any means but like the others I would think it's the remote connection, particularly with neither working. Hope it's an easy fix.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:56 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Rocket, I have the same model as you. When I tried to use remote on steering wheel while driving it would not work. Took it in twice and both times when the tech tested it it worked.

Turns out the remote had no problem when parked and remote was lined up with sensor. As soon as you turned the wheel contact was lost. Remote has to be moved. I haven't done it because wife and I don't listen to much radio.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:52 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Yeah I'm kinda that way too - don't listen all that much to the radio - but the one I would want to work is the one on the wheel ....lol. That way I can control things.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That way I can control things. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alot of folks consider the control on the wheel to be a trivial thing, but to me it is VERY handy. If traffic suddenly gets tight, or something gets attention grabbing, I want the volumn down, NOW.. That control lets me do that without having to look or reach away. To each his own I guess...rgr...
Old 03-15-2008, 01:31 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Unfortunately Tom the one on the steering wheel is the one I'm refering to.

I gather your steering wheel remote doesn't work at all. Mine worked when the steering wheel was straight but as soon as I rotated the wheel it would lose contact.

Keep us up to date, it might motivate me to fix mine.

Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:28 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Okay let's let the truth be known here. First of all I am a 64 overweight rolly polly guy, not the best one to go under the dash. But I looked under the dash - with great effort I might add - there is no way I can get close to seeing the sensor to find the wire that leads to the radio. Too much crap!

Tried to take the radio out - did that with no problem until it stopped - I wasn't about to yank any harder - with my luck i'd be buying a new radio. I also read the manual (imagine that) said that if the radio had lost power it may need re-set. I remembered the dealer said he put in a new battery - ahah! Hit the reset button - still doesn't work.

It's late I am cold and right now I leave it up to the dealer who sold it to me to fix it!!!

Can we have an Amen......

Oh yeah - and while I was out there I signed up for my 6 mos of free satelite radio - only to find it will be all used up by the end of March.....Got to call the dealer on that on too.