Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-02-2006, 07:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We are looking to upgrade to a in motion satellite, and was wondering if someone could tell us if any receiver would work with direct tv, or is there a special receiver that goes with the in motion satellite.

Celebration Florida
Ron and Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We are looking to upgrade to a in motion satellite, and was wondering if someone could tell us if any receiver would work with direct tv, or is there a special receiver that goes with the in motion satellite.

Celebration Florida
Old 10-03-2006, 01:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

same one you always use.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Ron & Patti,

Yes, you can use your existing DirecTV reciever. If you have local channels now, you may or may not be able to get them with the dome antenna. It will depend on which satellites your local stations are on.

Will you be traveling locally or crossing the country? If long distance you may want to call DirecTV and request the east coast / west coast network channels. They come out ofeither LA or NY.

Which antenna are you planning to upgrade to?

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:46 AM   #5
PDB
Winnebago Camper

Same receiver as used in your house.

Local channels are "spot beamed" to the approppriate city and when you get 200 - 300 mils away from that city you have moved out of the "spot" and you can't see the locals. And if you subscribe to, say Detroit that doesn't mean when you get to Memphis you will get the Memphis locals. You only get the city you requested.

Definetly get the East/West.

Winegard Movin On dome works good for me. Excellent customer service.

Paul

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:22 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We have been contemplating replacing our satellite dish with a dome type, but aren't sure if we should get the in-motion or not. I know it would work with the TV in the bedroom while in motion, but it would make more sense for it to work with the main TV up front as our daughter could watch TV while sitting buckled up at the dinette. I know there are ways to re-wire the main TV to work while in motion. What say you??
boulderado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:30 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by boulderado:
We have been contemplating replacing our satellite dish with a dome type, but aren't sure if we should get the in-motion or not. I know it would work with the TV in the bedroom while in motion, but it would make more sense for it to work with the main TV up front as our daughter could watch TV while sitting buckled up at the dinette. I know there are ways to re-wire the main TV to work while in motion. What say you?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, you opened a whole other can of worms by asking if you can watch the front TV while in motion, as some posting police might tell you how unsafe and illegal it is....LOL

We plugged the TV in the outlet next to the one that cut off when the ignition is on...my kids watch the front TV all the time while in motion....no biggie.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:57 AM   #8

We have in motion and Direct TV and love them both. We have the console TV on the floor so I made a curtain that I put up with a tension shower rod between the walls and comes almost to the floor. It has to be a "room darkening" curtain that is lined so the light from the TV can't get through. You can't watch the TV at night unless you put up the curtain because it reflects off of the windshield and then my DH can't see the road...not a good thing !

We watched the game all the way home. Just keep the night shades down on the windows too.

If you don't have two receivers, the back TV has to watch whatever the front has on it.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 01:46 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

thank you for all the replys everyone answered all are questions.we have been looking at all the satelites and we think we are going to go with the kvh trac-vision-L3 in motion satelite.just wasnt to sure if are house direct tv reciever would work or had to be upgraded for this application but everyone answered all are questions and we thankyou. Ron and Patti

Celebration Florida
Old 10-03-2006, 02:13 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

i had the kvh l2 piece of junk...i just purchased the kvh r6 nice! spend the extra money!
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:30 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

We have the K-5 KVH ant. but I believe that you must get the DC receiver to work with this ant. as it is DC current. No big dome on our roof! Great for over head clearances. You also need to get 2 seperate receivers in order to watch different channels on different TV'S. We can have the front TV on while driving, Cool. PS. I don't watch it while driveing though.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:48 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Ron & Patti,

The dome type antenas (in motion) are suseptible to rain fade a good bit more so that the standard dish type antenas. Definitely get the new R6 if you get a KVH. It is more money but you will be much happier with it.

Personally we have the Kingdome. We had a bit of trouble with it in the beginning but they stood by their product and made things right. I am very happy with it now. I think if I were to go out and buy one right now, I would definitely get the new KVH R6.

We have a DirecTV R-15 DVR / Receiver. It was $100 at Best Buy with a $100 rebate from DirecTV. LOML records her soaps while we are traveling so she can catch up with them when we are stopped at night or whenever. We keep the coach inverter on while traveling for a bunch of reasons, the DVR being one of them. She could watch them on the couch or on the bed in the back but she prefers to be up front with me watching all the scenery go by on the great big wide screen TV (windshield).

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:20 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Who's watching TV on the road? I guess using cell phones, CB's, etc aren't enough of a distraction. One more thing to worry about in addition to tired truck drivers, road rage and gators!!!!

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:30 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Geeche:
Who's watching TV on the road? I guess using cell phones, CB's, etc aren't enough of a distraction. One more thing to worry about in addition to tired truck drivers, road rage and gators!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Do you have any young kids? Thats who watches tv.I would suggest driving from 1am to 5 am.You will have less of a chance bumping into all those scary people you mentioned..

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:43 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

I installed the KVH L3 in my 2003 Suncruiser. It worked well but it was a pain to install. The problem is that you need to run one or two (depending upon how many LNBs you want to use) coax cables down to the receiver. Plus you need to fish a data cable to the remote control panel. Plus you need to fish a pair of 12 volt power wires to the remote control panel. That's a lot of stuff to fish through once the RV is already built. However, I believe that the KVH R6 uses a single coax from the remote module to the dome and that would be much easier to install because most RVs already have a coax cable pre-run for that purpose.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 09:29 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

A definate "NO-NO" in California. About $250 worth. Very dangerous. That's why they're wired to go off when the ignition switch is turned on.

I would think a TV visible to the driver is against the law in most states.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote