Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-17-2018, 08:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I think I need a "Pioneer Radio Book for Dummies"

Well, I was able to download a manual for our Pioneer AVH X2700BS. I carefully went through it, made lots of notes, looked forward to our next trip - which began yesterday.

Mostly, same results. It seemed like whatever buttons we pushed, nothing happened. Using the remote, the radio beeped once, then it beeped twice, but nothing happened on the screen. Then no more beeps.

Suddenly some button push on the radio (not sure how) caused the CD player to start. Hooray!

Well, not so Hooray. The "cost" of playing the CD is that all the camera options are absent. Supposedly, pushing and holding the Mode button is how to switch to the camera view mode, according to the manual. Nope - does absolutely nothing.

If I had to choose between having a functional rear camera while going down the road towing, or having the ability to play Books On Tape CDs, the camera wins hands-down. Ideally I'd have both - but that doesn't seem to be in the cards right now. Any ideas on how to get the camera back on? Maybe even the side ones, too? And does the fact that most of the buttons seem to be opposed to doing their jobs perhaps indicate that the radio is malfunctioning?

By the way, I fully acknowledge that this may well be an id10t situation (which my IT staff taught me about some years ago when I had something messed up on my work computer).

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:56 AM   #2
Site Team

You live near Austin. There are probably 3 or 4 Car Audio dealer’s near there. Maybe you can take the RV to one (with a big parking lot) and have it checked out?

Call Winnebago Customer Service and get them to help you.

Also I’ve heard that Camper Clinic in Buda is a Winnebago authorized repair center.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:00 AM   #3
Site Team

Here’s a video on its operation

https://youtu.be/XuBLOBVE9zM
Old 09-18-2018, 08:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I think I need a "Pioneer Radio Book for Dummies"

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
You live near Austin. There are probably 3 or 4 Car Audio dealer’s near there. Maybe you can take the RV to one (with a big parking lot) and have it checked out?

Call Winnebago Customer Service and get them to help you.

Also I’ve heard that Camper Clinic in Buda is a Winnebago authorized repair center.

X2....get yourself and the MH to a car audio shop. When I bought mine I couldn'y get the XM to light up on the screen....found out the original owner never had a tuner installed....2 hours and $150 bucks at the local car audio shop fixed that.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Here’s a video on its operation

https://youtu.be/XuBLOBVE9zM
Link doesn't work.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:17 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Link doesn't work.
Thanks I fixed it.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, guys. I agree that I probably need to get it looked at by an audio dealer. The video has given me a glimpse of what a radio SHOULD do - but that assumes buttons work!

On a related note, I had a chance while at an FMCA Rally to look at what Winnebago's doing now with their AV/camera. One HUGE improvement is that they've angled the display so that it is MUCH more readily visible from the driver's seat. (My display is flat in the mount, and therefore very hard for me to read while enroute - especially since I'm tall.) I wish I could I could just swap the whole assembly out, but WGO has moved some of the switches and now puts the leveler controls in the center console, so I highly doubt that would be doable.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

There is way for a DIYer with some time and good skills to angle the radio in the older style flat center Vista console. I have done it.

The center console comes out and there is enough side to side clearance to modify the radio mount and angle the radio so that it can be viewed from the driving position. I did it about 2 years ago. It took me about a day's worth of my time. It involved:

- modifying the OEM radio mount to hold the radio angled
with the driver's side flush to the console and the
passenger side of the radio being in front of the console,
so you get the desired angle
(some bending and cutting of the mount, and drilling
new hole in the mount to attach the radio to)

- modifying the OEM radio opening of the center console to
expand it slightly to accept the angled radio
(I cut using a dremel tool with cutting wheel)

- blacking out the metal case of the angled radio that now sticks out
(I used black electrical tape)

I am 500 miles away from my RV for a week so I can't post a photo of this mod at this time.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:07 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
There is way for a DIYer with some time and good skills to angle the radio in the older style flat center Vista console. I have done it.
I salute you! I'm sure that's made a big difference for you going down the road.

Time I have.

I have good skills, too -- in doing tax returns, building budgets, maintaining accounting records, etc. For something like this, though, it'd be hard to find somebody MORE inept!
Old 09-21-2018, 10:08 AM   #10
Site Team

Austin’s custom auto stereo stores could do this for you and make it look professional.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:38 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

For better visibility one option you might consider is to add an extra monitor better positioned for viewing while in the drivers seat. The manual for your AVH shows a video out connection that's used to add an external monitor.

About your functionality issue, if the AVH is under warranty have them check it out.
If not, try a factory reset and reload the firmware.
Here's a video that goes through the process.

Picture Posting Guide
charge-it is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio