Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-07-2021, 12:56 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Onan 4000 issues resolved

I too ran into the same issues described, but was able to fix them by overhauling it. When we first purchased our class a new had several warranty issues. So the rv spent about three months at the dealership. That is where I started running into the gen issues. Basically the carb was gummed up from sitting so long (took some time to diagnose) and wasn’t covered under warranty. I needed a low cost solution that I could do myself vs spending $1000 at a onan service center. So I did the following:
1. Replace spark plug.
2. Change the oil and fuel filter and change the oil.
3. Took a 1 gal gas can and Added sea foam to it and then bought a long rubber gas line and ran that pickup tube to the gen. to try and clean the carb. Was successful in starting once or twice but was still sticking. Just like described in a previous post. I also added sea foam to my gas tank as per directions.
4. Removed the carb and took it apart. Cleaned with sea foam and toothbrush. The carb bowl and solenoid had a sticky glaze. Cleaned it out. That was the solution.
Two years later no problem and runs like a champ. To avoid ever having to take carb apart I always run the generator once a month under load for 20-30 minutes. I also add gas additive when I store it. You want to prevent the gummy/glaze that happens.

An added benefit of adding the sea foam to the gas tank my engine runs better than it did previously. Must have had similar gumming on my engine.
Twpinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:24 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twpinaz View Post
I too ran into the same issues described, but was able to fix them by overhauling it. When we first purchased our class a new had several warranty issues. So the rv spent about three months at the dealership. That is where I started running into the gen issues. Basically the carb was gummed up from sitting so long (took some time to diagnose) and wasn’t covered under warranty. I needed a low cost solution that I could do myself vs spending $1000 at a onan service center. So I did the following:
1. Replace spark plug.
2. Change the oil and fuel filter and change the oil.
3. Took a 1 gal gas can and Added sea foam to it and then bought a long rubber gas line and ran that pickup tube to the gen. to try and clean the carb. Was successful in starting once or twice but was still sticking. Just like described in a previous post. I also added sea foam to my gas tank as per directions.
4. Removed the carb and took it apart. Cleaned with sea foam and toothbrush. The carb bowl and solenoid had a sticky glaze. Cleaned it out. That was the solution.
Two years later no problem and runs like a champ. To avoid ever having to take carb apart I always run the generator once a month under load for 20-30 minutes. I also add gas additive when I store it. You want to prevent the gummy/glaze that happens.

An added benefit of adding the sea foam to the gas tank my engine runs better than it did previously. Must have had similar gumming on my engine.

THATS IT!!!

I have yet to hear or read of any post where someone was saying I exercise my Onan genset regularly (hour or two a month); but I have trouble with it starting or the carburetor running cleanly.

It does not matter what type of generator you buy, if you don't exercise it or properly service and maintain the carburetor you will have issues. If any doubt go to a local Honda dealer and ask about what they see with some very new Honda gensets that folks had the money to buy, but not the time to take care of or use. They don't complain in public because they know Honda is synonymous with a quality generator.

I have 10 year old Sinemate https://www.ramsond.com/sin3500/ that has NEVER been in any kind of dealer service. I as a DIY replace the pull rope that broke (it was actually a Honda part ) , change oil and spark plug every year regardless of hours, clean washable filter and replace it, and of course my #1 thing you must absolutely do twice a year is run it with Seafoam before winter and then again 6 month later.

As you can see my Sinemate was half the cost of the Honda but double the capacity. With all of that my portable is not going on any trips with me in my RV

FWIW, I have a 30 AMP 10 Circuit transfer switch in our house. This generator ran 4 days straight during the hard freeze in Dallas. While we had no power from ERCOT we had both furnaces fully functioning and most all other energy items we need from a mere 3500kw. Both Fridges included. What we did not have was washer / dryer or power to the pool equipment. We were even able to run the portable microwave, NOT the one connected to stove / oven.

I had to add 1.8 gallons of gas ever 6 1/2 hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200607_120337.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	177657   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200607_120138.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	177658  

Attached Images

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:53 PM   #23
US1
Winnebago Camper

My Gen wasnt a runner when I purchased my RV do to the PO not using it. I was able to remove the carb easily within a few minutes. Can of carb spray to shoot in the passages and a thorough cleaning of the old dried gas gunk left behind, the gen starts right up and purrs like a kitten. As a precaution, I added a fuel shut off switch valve right before the carb inlet. Knowing the gen will sit alot for long periods of time unran, I didnt want the fuel to dry up again and have this problem. So now I simply close the valve and let the gen run dry. Usually less than a min. Next time to need the gen, I'll open the valve and hold the primer (Off/Start button) for a few seconds longer than usual to fill teh carb bowl. So far all has been issue free.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:08 AM   #24
Site Team

Hi DesertRatt,
In reviewing all of these posts, nowhere did I see a reminder that these generators draft fuel from the ¼ tank level of the motorhome. You mentioned that the problem never happens in your driveway. Many of us fill the motorhome tank on the way home. Is it possible that your tank was below the ¼ level as you arrived at your camp site?
Eagle5

Tags
onan, rust