Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2003, 02:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

I want to buy a Hughes Autoformer! So much low voltage in camp grounds that I'm always worrying about it, but I sure would like to here from folks that have one before spending big bucks for one. Are they a must have item that I will wonder how I ever got buy without? Do they protect my MH from surges and spikes like advertised? Thanks in advance for your response ....... Pete
>>>RV YACKMO<<< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 02:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I want to buy a Hughes Autoformer! So much low voltage in camp grounds that I'm always worrying about it, but I sure would like to here from folks that have one before spending big bucks for one. Are they a must have item that I will wonder how I ever got buy without? Do they protect my MH from surges and spikes like advertised? Thanks in advance for your response ....... Pete
>>>RV YACKMO<<< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 04:42 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I went with an EMS surge protector instead of the Huges Autoformer. It protect the systme from high/low voltage, bad grounds,miss wired outlets. Not sure how the Autoformer would work if everyone had one conn. to the same feed line in a CG, and it had low voltage. Saw a line in a CG get burned up because it could not handle all the demand that the RV's were putting on it. I figure a bunch of these units will just help over load it.

Tom & Bonnie
Gardens RV Village
Crossville, TN
Winn. Adventurer 35U
W-20 8.1 Vortec
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 06:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Tom
I am in the processing of adding the EMS system to my coach.
I appreciated your thoughts on the autotransformer.
when I experience low voltage it has been on 30 amp service. I have a digital power monitor that I watch and when the a.c. voltage drops to 108 Vac I set my refrig. on lp aqnd at 105 I shut of the ckt. breakers.

Thanks for your input.

Robert
Robert Lyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have both the Hughes Autoformer 50A and a hard wired Surge protector. Although the Autoformer offers some surge protection its primary function is to increase low voltage which is what damages motors and compressors.
I would not be without it. I have been in camp grounds when the voltage at the post when I plug in is 100 volts and my Auto former will kick it up to 118 and hold it there with the Air Conditioner load, making everything run the way it should. They are available in both 50 & 30 amp. I've seen people buy the 30 then trade coaches and need the 50 so you probably want to start with the 50 and adapt down. They are expensive, but less than repairs in mho.
Ace
d.duin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 02:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rvten:
Not sure how the Autoformer would work if everyone had one conn. to the same feed line in a CG, and it had low voltage. Saw a line in a CG get burned up because it could not handle all the demand that the RV's were putting on it. I figure a bunch of these units will just help over load it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>No - that wouldn't happen. The autoformer is a buck/boost transformer. While it will boost the voltage, it does so at the expense of the available current. In other words, if you have 100 volts available at 30 amps, that is (100x30) or 3,000 watts. Assume the autoformer boosts the voltage to 120 volts. We still only have 3,000 watts available so solving for I in our equation (I x E = W or P) we have (? x 120 = 3000) or 3000/120 which is 25 amps. In other words "you don't get something for nothing." You now have 120 volts available but guess what - there is only 25 amps for the coach.

I am still pondering about buying an autoformer - not enough data collected about campgrounds for me to spend the bucks on one yet.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 04:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have both, the 50 amp.Autoformer(mounted inside) attached to my incoming cord, the Autoformer is plugged into my 50 amp. Surge Guard(mounted inside) and the Surge Guard connects to the Transfer Switch. This set up gives me a constant voltage, so the Surge Guard won't trip at a low or high voltage. Becuase there are no guaranties or warranties from campgrounds or resorts for the electricity at their pedestals, I went the extra expense to protect my electrical system and insure a constant voltage.
Between the 2 (50 amp)items you'll spend about $1000. Have one low or high voltage problem, which is not covered by warranty and maybe not by insurance, and you'll spend a lot more not including the inconvienence and headaches.

Radarr