Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2017, 05:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

How to vent generator exhaust outside

We currently have our Journey inside our barn and looking for way to vent generator exhaust outside so that we can do our generator runs without having to pull it out of barn. Have created a make shift dryer hose and put that under the garage door, but when its cold outside it lets a lot of cold air in the barn and fumes when wind blows wrong way.
Also if we had a extended power outage worried about letting too much cold air in

Looking forward to see how others have tackled this issue

Thanks
Old 02-09-2017, 07:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

How about taking a board the width of the door and cutting a hole in it for the exhaust? Close the door onto the board. You can buy a roll of garage door seal for the board to make the fit more airtight.

My barn isn't anywhere near airtight, but it's 30' from the genny to any opening!

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Seems to me you're already most of the way there. You're using a dryer hose to carry the exhaust away, put a proper dryer vent in a wall or door and hook the hose to it.
It's possible (likely, even) that the generator exhaust won't have enough 'push' to it to open dryer vent. So remove the flapper on the vent to prevent that problem.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I run mine inside, I just let it run and run in after 30-60 minutes time and shut it off, hopefully get in & out holding my breath, rarely happens.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Wait a sec: IN the barn, you said In the barn

Big fan, use the RV generator to power it, open barn door, forget fancy stuff, let open door (The bay door) vent the fumes outlside, the fan provides both load for the generator (not much I will admit but it helps) and moves fresh air in no matter which way (in or out) it blows.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

You don't need a vent pipe any bigger than the exhaust pipe attached to the generator. What I'd do is use PVC pipe from the barn wall, bracketed 6" away from the barn's outside wall up 12 feet or so. That straight length gets the gases moving quickly skyward, at that point 45 degree angles to get past overhangs if necessary.

Inside the barn, I'd have a galvanized metal surround around the PVC where it enters, than a coupler and a stub piece so it can't be pulled or pushed outside too easily. Than, I'd use a friction fit method of metal exhaust pipe and metal couplers from the barn's wall over to the generators exhaust, where I'd put a quick slip on coupler with a screw to hold it.

All the pipe, PVC, and couplers would be around the same size as the exhaust pipe, maybe slightly larger.

Everything I've talked about using is a standard plumbing or exhaust item. Some would be electrical thin wall conduit items, others plumbing items.

Note that the exhaust gases are cool enough just a couple feet from the outlet that they won't melt PVC Schedule 3 I think? You'll have to check the exact schedule PVC.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid1 View Post
We currently have our Journey inside our barn and looking for way to vent generator exhaust outside so that we can do our generator runs without having to pull it out of barn. Have created a make shift dryer hose and put that under the garage door, but when its cold outside it lets a lot of cold air in the barn and fumes when wind blows wrong way.
Also if we had a extended power outage worried about letting too much cold air in

Looking forward to see how others have tackled this issue

Thanks
audvid1,
I see what you're trying to accomplish and, in all reality, the remedy is not very hard. In the pics below, you'll see what's called an "Access door" that I just recently installed in our RV garage, about 2" off the floor. That particular door is, 8" x 8". They come in that small size like you see there and, all the way up to 24" x 24". I got them at a specialty hardware store. There is one on the inside, sealed up against the drywall and, there's one on the outside, sealed up against the stucco. In between, is some "luxury vinyl" boat flooring. the luxury boat flooring is what I had laying around.

Now, the install of both of those doors took a whopping 15-30 minutes a piece. The flooring, another 5. I use that door for when we come home from a trip, I simply park the big beast in it's cave and, run my dump hose right through that newly installed door, to an outside dump near the outside access door. Works slick.

Now, you can install the same set of doors, very easily. That takes care of that. As for the piping, don't kid yourself, when that generator is operating, and has any load on it at all, the RPMs are up and, SO IS THE EXHAUST TEMP. I run ours in a genturi during close-quartered RV events and, that venturi is pretty darn hot, almost as far up as I can reach and I'm 6' 2.5".

But, being a retired fire service dude, I was involved with setting up "Exhaust Extraction Systems" in most of our fire stations. In the early stages of this operation, it was mearly a flexible hose that could could widthstand higher temperatures that routed along a sliding rail. It was hung from the ceiling where it was attached to an exhaust fan.

But for your application, all you'd need is some larger, flexible EMT conduit. You could bend it all over the place to suit your needs. And adapter from it to your exhaust pipe on your gen is all that's technically needed. The other end would go right through those new, small, access doors. You could seal the opening between the access doors with some form of fiberglass insulation. Because that kind of a distance would allow for the exhaust temp to simmer down quite a bit, enough that going through the fiber glass insulation would not cause any issues.

When not in use, those little access doors seal right up, not even an ANT can get through them. Hope this helps.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:28 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Go to Amazon.com. Search for 'exhaust port'. There are a bunch of fittings made for the exact reason of ducting exhaust to the outside.
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

You might look at the Gen-turi generator exhaust extension product on the web and see if you want to incorporate that into your design. You could connect a dryer hose or galvanized ducting to the top outlet of the genturi and take that out a roof or side wall vent so you get a exhaust air flow that is mixed with enough non exhaust air that it does not overheat anything if you let the generator run a long time.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:55 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Two advantages to the Genturi and extend it through the roof (And how to do it properly)

First Advantage: I really like the Gen-Turi exhaust solution.. If you park beside me, Either park so i'm not on your generator side or use one (or somehing that does the same job) Reason. I've had my neighbor's generator set off MY CO alarm more than once. Very annoying. also dangerous. I use a Gen-Turi, you shoudl too.

Second.. A very good solution, You have nothing to trip over, You keep sending the exhaust up up and away, and it's safe

The only thing I will add is you need to do some kind of weather protection.. Method one woudl be to use a powered "Turbine" type roof vent (The kind you see spinning around on top or Restaurants) these come in both wind powered and electric models
Andother is to put a rain hat and critter guard on it, Just make sure it's high enough to not interfere with air flow

And getting it through the roof.. They make "Collars" for ye-old Stink Pipe (Sewer Vent) and that is what I'd use, or you could use a small Chimmney (These are triple wall and usually have the proper cap)

But the Genturi never gets so hot you need that kind of thing.

HOW HOT does the Gen-turi get in normal operation.

That question was put to me by an official once as I set up to provide power to a Ham Radio Field day.. So I was Standing there for quite some time with my hand holding the black pipe.. In fact only one time has it EVER gotten too hot to handle bare handed (NOTE: the metal Sweep elbow does get very hot) and that time the Generator had shut down (Excess Heat) the black pipe was too hot due to SUNLIGHT and only SUNLIGHT ... Had a power cord do the same thing. Sunny parts too hot to handle, shady parts very cold.

Tags
generator, vent