Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-21-2006, 07:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

is there any way to connect my satellite dish to the cable connection in the power comp. i dont want to use the roof connection because my dish is mounted on a tripod. right now i have to run the cable thru the drivers window. someone told me i couldnt use the cable connection because it has splitters on it. any ideas
Old 04-21-2006, 07:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

is there any way to connect my satellite dish to the cable connection in the power comp. i dont want to use the roof connection because my dish is mounted on a tripod. right now i have to run the cable thru the drivers window. someone told me i couldnt use the cable connection because it has splitters on it. any ideas
Old 04-22-2006, 03:34 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

You could look at the drawings that have the coax wiring. If there is a splitter, it will be on the drawing. You cannot use the splitter with the satellite signal.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 04:25 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

You can use the cable connection in you utility compartment to run you satellite dish into the coach.

The end of this cable terminates at the back of your switch box. Unhook from the back of the switch box and hook to the input of your satellite receiver. You can then hook the output from the satellite receiver directly to your TV or hook it to the switch box so you can feed the satellite channels to the front, rear and outside TV locations.

Tom N
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 05:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I don't know if the Adventurer is set up like my Sightseer but if it is, the picture below might help.
Since you don't want to use the roof dish you would not use the A/B switch. The "DC Pass" connector on the diplexer would connect to the "Sat In" connection on the "Sat receiver".
The diplexer can be found at Radio Shack for 3 or 4 dollars.
Just make sure you get a diplexer and not a standard splitter.

Two things to note, turn the roof TV antenna amplifier off when you want to use the sat receiver. Also the "Wall plate" in the picture is on the back wall of the cabinet above the driver.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

From what I read of jdsr's post he has no roof dish. If that is true he could eliminate the A/B switch and just use a diplexer. Also, I'm guessing all he wants to use is satellite and not a cable TV feed from a campground. If that is true he would not need the diplexer.

Diplexers are not $3 or $4 from Radio Shack, they are $20 each and two would be needed. Catalog #: 16-2567
Old 04-22-2006, 12:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Diplexers are not $3 or $4 from Radio Shack, they are $20 each and two would be needed. Catalog #: 16-2567 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sorry, have to disagree with that. The one I bought at Radio Shack is branded RCA and is a "DBS - Direct Broadcast Satellite, Universal Diplexer", Combines satelilte and antenna signals into one cable." I paid less than $5 a year ago for the last one I bought fromn them.

Also, I have my unit connected as shown above in my earlier posting and only one diplexer is required.
I noted that he would not require the A/B switch since he wasn't using the roof dish.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

To Clay L,

Thanks for the diagram that is exactly what I need. I would kiss you on the lips! But I'm not that kind of Guy.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Also, I have my unit connected as shown above in my earlier posting and only one diplexer is required. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The utility compartment only has one inlet. How do you feed both the sat and cable in wiht out a diplexer??

You would then need another diplexer as shown in your diagram to split the sat and cable inside the coach.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:22 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Sorry, have to disagree with that. The one I bought at Radio Shack is branded RCA and is a "DBS - Direct Broadcast Satellite, Universal Diplexer", Combines satelilte and antenna signals into one cable." I paid less than $5 a year ago for the last one I bought fromn them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is the RS # for the $4 diplexer???
Old 04-22-2006, 07:42 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Tom N

I don't have the number but it looks just like the one on the Radio Shack web site selling for $20 as you said.

It's an RCA D920 and is sold by Amazon.com for $2.33 plus $.99 shipping. I don't know why RS is now selling it for $20, it was less than $5.

I have also seen them at either Lowes or Home Depot (don't remmber which) in the less than $5 range.

Since I don't use the utility bay cable for TV cable input and dish input at the same time, I don't need a diplexer at that point.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:54 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

FlashG

Glad to be of help!
Old 04-23-2006, 06:37 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I just changed my home cable tv provider from Comcast to DirectTV. This was to enable me to use my Kingdome Satellite receiver in the MH. Well, the DirectTV install took TWO DAYS (11 Hours) to hook up the house! And still didnt hook-up the MH. The guy was clueless. Getting service in the MH was the whole point and the dealer knew that. Local Dealer didn't care, installer incompetent, 3 calls to DirectTV with calls dropped. So you can see I really appreciate this help. Oh by the way my house was already wired in all the rooms for cable. The installer placed the dish in three places before he found the "bird".
Old 04-23-2006, 12:51 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

We were down in Palm Desert last winter and I had read about a smart TV tech fixing up the satellite so it could come through the outside where the cable connection is. We called a smart guy down there and he came and rewired our new sattellite box so that it comes in through the cable connection and runs both the front and back tv's on different channels. This box was an upgrade which you are eligible for after you have had DISH TV for a year. The box is a DVR and works both TV's on different channels. It was wonderful after having had the cables coming in both the drivers window and the bedroom window. Hope you can find someone to do it for you. If you are in Palm Desert CA, I can give you the name. Hugs.

1998 Winnebago Chieftain
ChiefQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:20 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

if i wanted to hook up catv and my sat dish, could i do this using the catv outlet in the outside comp. would i need 2 diplexers? where would the second diplexer go. could one of you guys draw it out for me. also what is a diplexer? thanks for all the help
Old 04-23-2006, 04:54 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

A diplexer is actually like a combiner and a seperator. It will combine the sat and cable signal outside to send them down one cable line then inside the diplexer will seperate the sat from the cable again. On the pic on the earlier post you would just add a splitter outside to be able to accept either sat or cable or both.

A diplexer should be under $5.00 each. I have this set up on my motor home.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 10:02 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

in the bay outside all i need is a diplexer and not a a/b switch? would i connect a short catv wire from the catv connection in the bay to the input on the diplexer and then hook up catv to one connection and sat to the other? then all the other connections are made in the comp above the drivers seat? the a/b switch is so i can switch back and forth beyween catv and sat? arkaussie, you said add a splitter outside, did you mean diplexer? i hope i got this right
Old 04-24-2006, 11:57 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

jdsr
Go back up to my post with the schematic. You only need an A/B switch if you have a rooftop dish and also want to be able to use an external dish.
If you want to use a outside dish and a CATV input without disconnecting one or the other, then you would need another diplexer in the service bay. I have never seen a need to do that though.
If I am useing my ouside dish, I don't want to use the parks cable
Old 04-24-2006, 05:57 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Sorry I missled you, I did mean the diplexer outside and you are correct. Just connect the single side of the diplexer to your "cable in" port then you have two inputs for sat and cable.

As we sit for longer periods we usually hook to cable and sat as cable has OLN for RVtoday and sat has Speed for F1.

Happy Viewing,

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:01 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

thanks for help. i will give it a try. one more question. i think clay said i didnt need a/b switch if i didnt have rooftop sat, which i dont. so where do i hook my sat rec up? if it is above the drivers seat and theres only i conn point, where or how would i hook up catv and switch back and forth. im sure yall have already explained but its not sinking in. i understand how to hook up outside but how does signal get seperated inside pass the diplexer. please bear with me, i didnt know this was poss. clay, are all the connections and boxes above the drivers seat? i didnt think the cable coming from the ser compartment terminated there. i think this is where im getting lost. i thought the cable from outside term in comp above pass seat. if this is the case where would i connect everything else. a drawing would be great if poss