Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2020, 07:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

House / Coach Disconnect Switch

The wife and I went boon-docking in our 2010 WB Aspect 28B this past weekend, and while our fresh water tanks lasted longer than we thought they would, we were severly disappointed with not having any way to charge our electronics (which died within 4-6 hours). I also use a CPAP and couldn't use that either. So I looked into solar but don't believe it would solve our problem without spending a fortune (additional batteries, additional hardware plus the solar panels), so I decided to buy a Jackery Explore 1000 battery bank. I figured I'd just keep it inside the RV and plug whatever we needed directly into it, but last night I had this brainstorm. I'd use a standard extension cord with a 15-amp-to-30-amp dongle and plug the Jackery directly into the RV's 110V power system (the one that is normally fed by either shore power or the generator). This way the Jackery would feed the entire RV's 110V house system. We still wouldn't use the AC or microwave, but all the outlets would work for smaller gear.

To do this, I'd want to disconnect the converter to keep it from charging the house batteries from the Jackery. I got into the manual and read about the House / Coach Disconnect Switch near the door that's primarily to keep the batteries from discharging during long storage periods. My question is, does that switch disconnect the power to the converter as well, or just disconnect the house batteries? Would the converter pull power if there was no battery pulling a charge?

I used a Kill-A-Watt to check the power of my CPAP and it only draws 190 watts overnight. I'm pretty sure the Jackery would power all our requirements for at least three or four days. Let me know your thoughts...
JDHarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:11 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

You'll have to double check your setup, but on my '04 Adventurer, the disconnect is on the 12 volt side of the converter, so it has no affect on the 120 volts supplied to the converter.

Easy to check. Plug in to shore power. Hit the battery disconnect. Turn on a 12 volt light. If it's on, the converter is powering it.

I just unplug my converter when I need to. It's not on it's own circuit, or I could simply flip the breaker.

I get that the Jackery is portable, but why not just put in a battery of similar capacity for quite a bit less money?

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I hope you're right about the Disconnect just cutting off the batteries and the converter powering the RV. More thought about this made me wonder if my 12-volt system would be up and running (lights, heaters, etc.) if I disconnected the batteries.

The Jackery, while expensive is more than a battery. It's a full stand-alone system. It includes a pure sine wave inverter, supplies both 12 and 120 volts, and includes a MPPT regulator for solar panel input. Appreciate the response. I'll run some tests later today.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:15 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

A couple of observations:

Most inverters have an on/off switch on them or a remote switch that disconnects 120V power to them. That is what you want to use if you are using the Jackery to power your whole coach's 120V system.

But how are you going to do that? Perhaps by plugging the shore power cord into the Jackery's 120V output with an adapter.

And finally a word about terminology and physics. Your Jackery is rated for 1,000 watt hours of AC supplly, or presumably approximately the same for DC supply. Assuming you can draw DC and AC simultaneously then the 1,000 watt hour rating applies to the sum of AC and DC use.

Also your Kill 0 Watt shows watt hour usage of appliances plugged into it. So your CPAP machine uses 190 watt hours overnight which is quite good. Divide that into the 1,000 watt hour rating and you are good for 5 nights if that is the only draw from the Jackery.

And finally, finally look into why your batteries died after 4-6 hours. Good Group 27 batteries which many MHs have, have 80-90 amp hours of capacity each and you probably have two so that means as much as 180 amp hours. But since only 90 are usable that gives you 90*12 or about 1,000 watt hours of capacity just like the Jackery and just like the Jackery that should be plenty to power your inverter that should be able to power your CPAP for 5 nights if that was the only load (and you turned off the inverter in between overnights).

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Hi David,

Our electronics (cellphones ipads, etc.) died after 4-6 hours. My house batteries lasted several days. I just don't have anywhere to plug in my electronics into the 12-volt system.

On another note, the RV manual states I have a 120V outlet in one of the outside cubbies, but I yet to find it... :-)

JD
Old 10-14-2020, 09:08 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
look into why your batteries died after 4-6 hours. Good Group 27 batteries which many MHs have, have 80-90 amp hours of capacity each and you probably have two so that means as much as 180 amp hours. But since only 90 are usable that gives you 90*12 or about 1,000 watt hours of capacity just like the Jackery and just like the Jackery that should be plenty to power your inverter that should be able to power your CPAP for 5 nights if that was the only load (and you turned off the inverter in between overnights).
David

Two months ago, I replaced my two Class 27 Lead Acid batteries with new Class 31 AGM batteries and replaced my single-stage Converter to a multi-stage unit. So I have lots of house power. The Aspect 28B however, only has a 300 w inverter built in, and it's hardwired to the bedroom TV. As such, I don't get any 120V power from the house batteries...
Old 10-18-2020, 08:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I bought a Jackery 1000 recently to have for backup and portable power for use with our MH. Due to COVID we did not use our MH this summer. We do have a cottage which we usually power with a 2400 Watt gas generator. To limit the use of the generator I now connect the Jackery to the electrical panel and use it to power the lights, TV and a small refrigerator. All the lights have been changed to LEDs and draw very little power. I also have a 150 watt solar panel which on most sunny days can keep the Jackery fully charged. When we need to run the generator for heavier loads, hot plate, microwave, hairdryer etc we use the Jackery's own charger to add more wattage back to the battery. The Jackery 1000 is a bit expensive but very handy and useful.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:34 AM   #8
Winnebago 28B

Hi there!
I also have the exact same 2010 WB Aspect 28B and have these thoughts:

- the battery switch by the door enables all 12v systems (except the LP detector that stays on even if the switch is off) If you are not plugged in to shore power, this means lights, fridge control, furnace, and 12v sockets won’t work unless the switch is on.

- the inverter (in the kitchen counter) can power the front tv, specifically the receptacle in the top right cupboard. The bedroom tv uses 12v battery power.

- if you try plugging your Jack box thing to your shore line, you should flick off all the circuit breakers that you won’t use, especially the converter, and obviously the microwave, water heater, and roof heat pump just in case you accidentally turn one of those things on. That would pop your Jack’s breaker/fuse.

- I’m not familiar with CPAP machines, but you say it draws 190 watts overnight. Do mean it uses 190watt-hours total for the night? Or that it draws 190 watts while running? BIG difference!

- we use 12v USB adaptors to charge our devices. If you don’t want to drain your house batteries, you can always use the dash lighter socket(s) to charge your stuff. Also plug them in while driving so they’re topped up when you stop.

Happy Trails!
RogerRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:02 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoll View Post
- I’m not familiar with CPAP machines, but you say it draws 190 watts overnight. Do mean it uses 190watt-hours total for the night? Or that it draws 190 watts while running? BIG difference!
- we use 12v USB adaptors to charge our devices. If you don’t want to drain your house batteries, you can always use the dash lighter socket(s) to charge your stuff. Also plug them in while driving so they’re topped up when you stop.
Happy Trails!

Hi Roger, Glad you chimed in.
You mentioned the 300W converter powers the front TV thru the right cabinet AC socket. I wanted to plug our dedicated data-plan cellphone and tiny router into that socket as well so they would stay powered all the time, but for some reason, didn't think it was working. I'll check again.
Yes, the CPAP machine uses 190 watts total over a eight-hour sleeping period.
Are there any 12-volt adapter plugs in the shower room or bedroom that you know of? The only place I've found them is in the living room above the curved couch, and one in the outside stereo cubbie (this is in addition to the two on the truck dashboard).
Final question. The manual says there's an external 120v socket near the side door in one of the cubbies. Can't find one. The nearest socket is inside the door above the power panel. It that where yours is as well? Can't shut the door with a cord coming through it...
Thanks for all the help...
Old 10-19-2020, 09:52 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Solar

Harbor freight has a 100W system for $189 that easily sets up and attaches to your batteries. We have used this setup for years. It’s nice because there’s no mounting on the roof required, and it’s easily moved to follow the sun.
Joette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:04 AM   #11
Winnebago 28B

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHarrin View Post
Hi Roger, Glad you chimed in.
You mentioned the 300W converter powers the front TV thru the right cabinet AC socket. I wanted to plug our dedicated data-plan cellphone and tiny router into that socket as well so they would stay powered all the time, but for some reason, didn't think it was working. I'll check again.
Yes, the CPAP machine uses 190 watts total over a eight-hour sleeping period.
Are there any 12-volt adapter plugs in the shower room or bedroom that you know of? The only place I've found them is in the living room above the curved couch, and one in the outside stereo cubbie (this is in addition to the two on the truck dashboard).
Final question. The manual says there's an external 120v socket near the side door in one of the cubbies. Can't find one. The nearest socket is inside the door above the power panel. It that where yours is as well? Can't shut the door with a cord coming through it...
Thanks for all the help...
- There is a little switch on the inverter. You have to select whether the receptacle is powered normally (from shore power) or from the inverter.

- watts = volts * amps, so your 190 watt-hours = roughly 15amp-hours so a fresh battery with 100amp-hours reserve should last several days(nights) if that’s the only thing you’re running.

- I wired a 12v receptacle/USB port where the little night-light is under the foot of the bed. It has its own switch (in the cluster next to the vanity sink). Very handy to charge devices.

- I was hoping to find a receptacle in a cubby, but then I re-read the manual:
[An exterior outlet is also located on the outside of the coach near the entrance door ****or**** in a storage compartment on the passenger side of the coach.] Oh, well.
RogerRoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch