Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

House battery voltage

I have a 2004 Adventurer and the ohter day I tried to start the generator as I had not done that for several weeks. When I hit the STOP portion of the switch to turn on the gen fuel pump an alarm sounded. At this point I checked voltage of the house batteries and the readout on the panel showed 7.9 volts. Took the step off over the house and chasis batteries and checked voltage and both house batteries showed 12.6 volts. Went back inside to check the panel and the house batteries again showed 7.9 volts. So I am loosing voltage somewhere between the batteries and everything else. Is there a solenoid and where would it be located? The house battery switch is located in the step well wall but is covered with carpet so I don't know how to get to the back of that switch to check voltage. Any help will be very much appreciated. Thanks
Glen
GAVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

First thing to check is to make sure your battery connections are clean and tight.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Gavery,

First question is does the engine start? If not then p front on the dash is a bypass switch and it is located to the left of the steering wheel. Try holding that in and then starting the engine. If Engine starts prior to this question then try the same thing but this time try starting the generator.

As far as geting to the back of the battery cutoff switch , you can get to that by opening the compartment just behind the entry door and look to your right and there are both switches. One switch is for the compartment lights and the other is the battery cutoff switch. I'm betting that switch is off consequently no 12v to energize the relay to start the generator.

Good Luck and hope this helps and if not give Winnebago in Forest City a call as they are very helpful.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Just above the last step there should be a removable, carpet covered panel. Remove this and there should a a removable metal panel, behind which is a 12V circuit breaker board. Removing this circuit breaker panel should reveal the battery disconnect solenoid as well as the bridging solenoid. (BEWARE of shorting out battery removing this panel. I disconnect the battery cables before I removed it)

I would check voltages back to this solenoid.

After starting the engine, the chassis batteries should be charging at the coach battery level.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Dancin,

Also when they activate the emergency bypass they should hear the solenoid click. It should also click when they activate the cutoff switch by the stair well. I have had mine get dirty contact and by activating it a few times usually solves the problem.
Like everything else you must exercise these things on the motorhome. It is a big problem because they sit idle to long. I exercise my Generator and hydraulic jacks once a month.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Gavery,

I have a 2006 Adventurer and I'm experiencing a similar issue with my house batteries. I replaced the house batteries (2) in July of last year. About two weeks ago I went to reinstall a blind that I had restrung. Flipped the battery cut-off switch to the on position and then the interior lights, no lights. Next I checked the Engine and Coach battery charge from the panel. The Engine battery showed 12.2 volts and the house batteries showed 0 volts. The coach had been sitting for two months, so I assumed that the batteries had drained down. I connected the shorepower and went back three days later to check the batteries. While the shorepower is connected I have 12+ voltages showing on the panel. But when I disconnect the shorepower and it's back to 0 volts. Today same thing. I disconnected all of the cables on the house batteries and checked voltage. Each house battery read 11.4 volts. Got the batteries on trickle charge and i'll try again tomorrow. The battery disconnect makes a sharp click when toggled. I loosened one ground cable and noticed a small spark at the neg. cable when i started to remove it from the post. I flipped the switch to off and tried again. No spark. I think the battery shut-off switch is working as it should. Where is the problem?
Lee and Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho Lee and Kay: If you ever measure a voltage below 11.5 volts the battery is discharged to the point that you will damage the batteries if they are left in that state.

My question is why you don't leave the coach plugged in to maintain the batteries at 13.8 volts which is the normal charged voltage. We leave ours plugged in and turned on all the time and find that we only need to add water maybe once all winter long.

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Dirk,
That is part of the problem-not leaving the switch on so they will charge. Had one battery ruin about 4 months ago as it overcharged and filled the MH with a burned acid smell. Put in one new Interstate series 27 battery and left the other one alone. Then I left the battery disconnect off as I was affraid the batteries would overcharge again. I believe at that point the voltage got too low to start the generator. So I turned the battery connect switch back on and now have the burning acid smell again so I think the other battery is going bad. Should have replaced both of them I guess but didn't really want to spend the money. Thanks.
Glen
GAVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: Charging flooded lead acid batteries is really simple. Just maintain the charge voltage at approx. 13.8 volts. If the voltage is appreciably higher you stand to overcharge and damage the battery. If it is less than that the battery won't be fully charged.

If the voltage is around 13.8 volts and the battery goes bad, the problem is probably a bad cell in the battery. If one cell is shorted, the other cells are overcharged and the bad smell you mention is the result. However, if one cell is shorted the battery is toast anyway.

Not maintaining a proper charge is one good way to ruin a battery, especially in temperatures are much below freezing. It doesn't really matter much what produces the 13.8 volts, just that it stays there. You may not charge the batteries as quickly as if a multi-stage charger were present, but you won't damage the battery.

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:13 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

13.8 VDC is too high a float voltage if measured at an ambient temperature of 72 degrees F. S/B @ 13.3 +/- .1. The lower the ambient temerature, the higher the voltage. At about 25 degrees F, our house batteries (4 AGMs) will float at 13.6, while engine batteries stay at 13.3 VDC.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreAZ View Post
13.8 VDC is too high a float voltage if measured at an ambient temperature of 72 degrees F. S/B @ 13.3 +/- .1. The lower the ambient temerature, the higher the voltage. At about 25 degrees F outside, battery area about 45 to 50 F or so, our house batteries (4 AGMs) will float at 13.6, while engine batteries stay at 13.3 VDC.
Above edited 2/27/11

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Always recommended to install batteries as a set, rather than singly - the charging circuit will usually try to charge at the rate needed for the lowest reading battery in the set, which CAN be significantly different if one battery is much different in spec or age from the other(s). The resulting overcharging of the GOOD battery, as the charger tries to bring the poorer battery up to full charge, then damages the good battery from overcharging.

The newer RV's probably have better and more sophisticated chargers/converters than the older rigs like our '88 Winnie, but I have just finished installation of a new, latest technology switching converter with a 3-stage charging feature for best battery lifespan - got a deal at $130 for it, and even at the full $200+ normal price, can easily pay for itself in reduced battery damage - plus, it provides purer spike-free output for sensitive appliances like PCs and TVs, and will charge batteries at it's full 45 amp rating if they are very far down, rather than the 5 or so amps more common in the older style converters.

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/thu...axx=300&maxy=0

Worth looking into.
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote