Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2014, 04:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

House Battery Dead in One Week

I'm not sure if this is typical or not, but I went out to our 1995 Minnie Winnie a few minutes ago, and the house (deep cycle) battery was dead, not enough power to even power the lights. It worked fine last weekend with no issues. The battery is a single group 27 Interstate brand deep cycle.

Obviously I need to charge it up, but it seems odd to go dead in a week. I'm going to go look for switches left on, etc, but any ideas?
Bob55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

How old is the battery and do you have a cut off switch so you can "disconnect" it when stored?

Even small parasitic loads can run down an older battery in a few days.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

There isn't a date marker on any of the sides of the battery, but it's labeled on the top as installed in the unit on 5/25/14 from the dealer. There isn't a cut off switch, but it isn't that difficult to disconnect the ground lead when the coach isn't in use.

I'm thinking that disconnecting the ground lead is the way to go, but on the same note how long does it (typically) take the generator (Onan 4000) to bring the battery up to full charge again?
Old 06-28-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Your carbon monoxide detector in the MH will drain the battery after a few days.
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob55 View Post
There isn't a date marker on any of the sides of the battery, but it's labeled on the top as installed in the unit on 5/25/14 from the dealer. There isn't a cut off switch, but it isn't that difficult to disconnect the ground lead when the coach isn't in use.

I'm thinking that disconnecting the ground lead is the way to go, but on the same note how long does it (typically) take the generator (Onan 4000) to bring the battery up to full charge again?
The generator usually charges the house battery via the charger/converter in a few hours hours or so. Its only a 30 or 40 amp charger in the smaller coaches so it will take some time.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:54 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Good news, yes you can use the generator to charge the batteries; BAD news, if the battery is already dead then you will not be able to start the generator because the house battery is DEAD.
your best bet is to get one of those Battery quick disconnect switches to place on the negative post. It will make it much easier to open circuit it vise disconnecting it every time.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:11 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob55 View Post
Best to slow charge a totally dead battery for 48 hrs. at 5 amps or so.
I agree with installing a disconnect in the negative cable , I use a NASCAR style , with an attached plastic key, for quick disconnect of my toad battery. $5 at Auto Zone rated at 1000 amps 4 years no issues. Flick of the wrist , no wrenches.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

also ch for refig door heater as they are 12 v & big draw usually a little switch in freezer where door closes on top
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:57 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Do your storage bays have cargo lights in them? Mine are very easy to bump on when putting things in or taking them out after a trip and difficult to see during the day. Having just one of them left on by accident will drain a battery in a day or two
Old 06-30-2014, 05:36 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone, great tips and ideas!

Tags
battery