Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-16-2017, 09:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

House batteries not charging on 110V

Hello all, just posted my intro over in the newbies thread. My wife is on her first solo trip to a dog show in Georgia and as best I can tell over the phone it seems the shore power is not charging the house batteries, they are now drained and won't start the generator. The house batteries are new; tested the old ones and they were shot so I replaced them last month. Engine start batteries are OK and the engine starts fine so she can limp home later today and running engine does charge the batteries because she was showing a full charge when she got to the show Thursday evening after a 4 hour run.

She will get home this evening and I can start actual troubleshooting. I'm thinking the inverter/charger is the culprit so my plan is to test the output voltage as suggested on several threads here and if it not putting out +/- 13.8V I'll probably replace it. Any other suggestions or help will be much appreciated.
dwfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:25 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I'm thinking the inverter/charger is the culprit so my plan is to test the output voltage as suggested on several threads here and if it not putting out +/- 13.8V I'll probably replace it.
Wouldn't jump immediately to replace (unless you are looking for an excuse to upgrade).

- Shorepower needs to make it thru the transfer switch to the circuit breaker box
- Circuit breaker needs to be on, and voltage make it thru to the input of the converter.
- Converter needs to be turned on
- Breaker on output of converter needs to not be tripped.
- Some converters (mine included), need at least a minimum voltage on the batteries ....... or it won't go into charge mode.
- If there is a battery disconnect or fuse between the converter and the batteries, needs to be checked for continuity. Check also for corrosion on the cabling.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
Wouldn't jump immediately to replace (unless you are looking for an excuse to upgrade).

- Shorepower needs to make it thru the transfer switch to the circuit breaker box
- Circuit breaker needs to be on, and voltage make it thru to the input of the converter.
- Converter needs to be turned on
- Breaker on output of converter needs to not be tripped.
- Some converters (mine included), need at least a minimum voltage on the batteries ....... or it won't go into charge mode.
- If there is a battery disconnect or fuse between the converter and the batteries, needs to be checked for continuity. Check also for corrosion on the cabling.
Thanks, when I get my hands on it I'll be checking input/outputs and fuses/breakers. A question on the "Converter needs to be turned on"; I thought this was automatic. I think my converter is under the counter below the stove/cabinets (can hear the cooling fsn on occasion) but I do have an on/off button on a remote control panel in the front of the coach but I thought that was the inverter function only?
Old 04-16-2017, 10:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

There is usually a battery disconnect switch by the door. Maybe it got activated?
Old 04-16-2017, 11:03 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

dwfisk, First question does your coach have the option 2000 watt inverter?
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
dwfisk, First question does your coach have the option 2000 watt inverter?
Yes, I think it does. The coach & all the manuals are 4 hours north of me in Perry, GA (my wife is on a solo trip) but there is a Dimension(I think) inverter located in the passenger front AV cabinet ( to the right of the TV) with a line power indicator, on/off switch & indicators. I thought the manuals said to keep it turned off so it is not on, just showing line power connected.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
Hello all, just posted my intro over in the newbies thread. My wife is on her first solo trip to a dog show in Georgia and as best I can tell over the phone it seems the shore power is not charging the house batteries, they are now drained and won't start the generator. The house batteries are new; tested the old ones and they were shot so I replaced them last month. Engine start batteries are OK and the engine starts fine so she can limp home later today and running engine does charge the batteries because she was showing a full charge when she got to the show Thursday evening after a 4 hour run.

She will get home this evening and I can start actual troubleshooting. I'm thinking the inverter/charger is the culprit so my plan is to test the output voltage as suggested on several threads here and if it not putting out +/- 13.8V I'll probably replace it. Any other suggestions or help will be much appreciated.
I wonder if the salesman's switch (battery disconnect) is turned OFF. that just happened to a fellow here at our RV park. be sure that switch is ON (meaning the batteries are ON)

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the advise but it sounds like things are getting worse or at least more complicated. When she was shutting down the sat dish system the antenna stopped in mid-retraction and we figured out that all power has been lost to all/most 110V recepticals, but the AC heat pump seemed to be working fine so shore power is getting into the coack. Tried to walk her through the breakers, etc., no luck so I just had her connect the sat system control power supply to shore power via a regular old 110V extension cord, cycled the sat antenna and got it stowed. Fortunately engine electrics, etc., are not impacted at all an she is on the run home now. Not getting ahead of myself but I'm starting to wonder is a faulty automatic transfer switch (if the AC runs power is getting past the ATS) or more likely the load center/distribution unit might be the real culprit.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:36 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

dwfisk When you get the coach home very systematically note what is working and what is not 12vdc loads like the lights and 110VAC loads like the AC units and microwave.
If you have the 300 watt inverter up front next to the TV it only powers the entertainment stuff and maybe the satellite dish control. If the coach batteries are low it will shut off.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I would start the motorhome and then start the gen set this should give full power to every thing. then bring down your sat. I called Winnebago when we where having problems with our slides and it worked because the alternator will work. They said when entering a new campsite leave the motor on level and put out the slides and let the big alternator do its job. Then shut down. The same when leaving the camp site. If she has trouble starting the coach have her use the switch to mate all three battery. hope this helps
ct78barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:19 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Probably no help here but I wondered if I could ask a relevant question. If the coach batteries are low or dead, will shore power bring the slides in? Does not seem to work that way on my 04 32' Brave.
pacearrowben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:32 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Salesman switch is off would be my first guess.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:21 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post

Please update the signature area of your profile with info about your rv.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:20 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Dwfisk,
Here Is a resource for electrical info:
Welcome to Mark's Fulltime RV Resource
Check the 12 v side of life.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:46 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I sent you a PM. What type of RV? Or did I miss that in the thread?
Old 04-17-2017, 05:39 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by davismills View Post
I sent you a PM. What type of RV? Or did I miss that in the thread?
Thanks for the PM and offer to help out. The RV is a 2005 Winnebago Journey 32T diesel pusher.

Got home last night and after a 4 hour run the house and engine batteries are fully charged. Plugged into my 20 amp shore power (have not had time to run the 50 amp yet) and everything seems nominal; all recepticals have power, fridge, microwave, AC and lighting all working fine. Checked again this morning and everything seems fine, deployed the Sat system and it is working great. The only thing that makes sense to me right now is an intermittent issue with a component, maybe the EMS or load center. I'll start goung through everything with the multimeter later on today.

Assuming all is good, we are doing a pretty quick turn around and leaving early Thursday for a BBQ party at state park north of Dallas.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:14 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Salesman switch is off would be my first guess.
Thanks, never heard of a "salesman switch" and can't find anything about it in my manuals. I do have a switch on my dash that shuts of DC power, it must be on to power DC components and charge the house batteries with shore power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
Please update the signature area of your profile with info about your rv.
Thanks, I tried & hope it worked. Success, I have a signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
Dwfisk,
Here Is a resource for electrical info:
Welcome to Mark's Fulltime RV Resource
Check the 12 v side of life.
Thanks, looks like a very helpful link .

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
dwfisk When you get the coach home very systematically note what is working and what is not 12vdc loads like the lights and 110VAC loads like the AC units and microwave.
If you have the 300 watt inverter up front next to the TV it only powers the entertainment stuff and maybe the satellite dish control. If the coach batteries are low it will shut off.
On my list for today. Printed a copy of the electrical diagrams and will be noting status on them as my tally sheet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct78barnes View Post
I would start the motorhome and then start the gen set this should give full power to every thing. then bring down your sat. I called Winnebago when we where having problems with our slides and it worked because the alternator will work. They said when entering a new campsite leave the motor on level and put out the slides and let the big alternator do its job. Then shut down. The same when leaving the camp site. If she has trouble starting the coach have her use the switch to mate all three battery. hope this helps
Thanks, the MH started fine but with house batteries dead the gen would not start and the battery interconnect switch didn't help. But when she got home after 4 hours on the big alternator batteries are showing full charge and the gen starts fine. Your info from Winnebago makes perfect sense and will become part of our SOP.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:39 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Is there a standard procedure for testing the converter/charger output? I have a Parallax 7455 that says it should be putting out 13.6V but where I'm measuring on the unit I'm only seeing 12.5V and that just looks like the house battery voltage? Input 120V is fine.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:58 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

I had this problem once and it turned out that the GFCI outlet in the bathroom sink area had tripped and it was ganged with the outlet that the converter plugs into. so if yours plugs into an outlet, check for power at the outlet.

Richard
Old 04-17-2017, 03:25 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

dwfisk, Good place to check the 12VDC voltage is at the battery disconnect relay. On your coach it is behind the panel under the hood on the drivers side. Both sides should read the same if the disconnect is not enabled. When connected to shore power you should read around 13.6V. If you do the converter is ok if not check the converter it is located under the cooktop on the floor. If the voltage is ok there go to the coach batteries and see what you get there.
Just a note the converter power goes through the load sharing relays.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2005 32T Battery Relays.jpg
Views:	1208
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	158626   Click image for larger version

Name:	2005 32T Converter Rcp.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	158627  

Tags