Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2017, 04:22 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Grant. Been on the phone all afternoon with the folks at Parallax troubleshooting the converter/charger; they have been great to work with and shared a really neat troubleshooting diagram I'll figure out how to share here. Bottom line, we think one possibility is the converter is OK but going into an "over current mode" programmed (but not publicized) into the unit to protect it when current draw exceeds its 55 amp capacity and that keeps it from charging the house batteries properly. Their diagnostic instructions are consistent with the measurements you suggested. In the process of going through their diagnostic tests it looks like I did a hard reset and it might actually be charging now; I'm up from 12.2 V to 12.5 in 4 hours on shore power. Tomorrow I'll be chasing all the battery leads/connections and taking inventory of amperage use on the DC circuits just in case there is a short in the wiring.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:48 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
[QUOTE=dwfisk;3553386]Thanks, never heard of a "salesman switch" and can't find anything about it in my manuals. I do have a switch on my dash that shuts of DC power, it must be on to power DC components and charge the house batteries with shore power.

That's the switch I was referring to. It's called the "salesman switch" because the sales people use it when they are showing the rig to customers. If it is off like you said, the batteries will not charge when on shore power. Many times the sales people forget to turn it off again and the batteries get run flat.
Hope all works out for you.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:22 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Sorry that I am late on this topic. I have a 2006 Meridian and I experienced the exact same problems after changing our my house and chassis batteries. In my case there were loose connections when they put the new batteries in and I wasn't getting the proper grounding. When I looked myself at the battery compartment I couldn't believe all the connections. After tightening everything up all my problems went away. Hope this helps.
fudgeanyone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, house batteries